SSD question - Aspire A514-54G

Asshiddiqi
Asshiddiqi Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
My acer Aspire A514-54G with kingston om8pcp3512f-aa have very slow write speed with only >10 MB/s while copying large file from had external on USB 3.0, first it copies very fast then slowdown immediately to >10MB/s, is it normal?

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Is the external drive a spinning sata? It could be that the sustained read on the external drive isnt great
  • Asshiddiqi
    Asshiddiqi Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2021
    Yes it is, but the usage disk of the external HDD only 10% while the nvme 100% disk usage, at the start of copying files the write speed reach 100MB/s but after a while it going down to 10MB/s for the rest of the process 
  • JEJV
    JEJV Member Posts: 2 New User
    I Have the exact same problem. Aspire 315-56 brand new and Kingston om8pcp3512f-aa oem NVMe SSD. If trying to write to SSD a little bit more, it dies in a few minutes and the usage goes to 100% and write speed max. 10MB/s. Latency thousands of ms and the laptop is EXTREMELY slow. For example Windows update takes forever, hours. Is the drive defective or is there some bug in its FW, or is it overheating and throttling or what? Warranty service maybe, the laptop renders itself unusable every time it tries to write even a bit more to system SSD.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Asshiddiqi

I believe you are experiencing thermal throttling of the drive( typically fast when start and then suddenly drop the write speed). My laptop has a Kingston drive too, and it has slow writing speed originally, about 630 MB/s. If you encountered thermal throttling, the speed will be greatly slower than that. Don't know about your case, mine has 46 degree C even when idling ( after adding heat sink).

How about getting a thin heat sink to help the temperature. Do not get a full sized heat sink, particularly not that type with highly raised fins, as that may not fit in the cluttered space of a laptop.
  • JEJV
    JEJV Member Posts: 2 New User
    Brand new laptop, "not user serviceable", warranty, not advisable to modify. Subpar quality obviously as it only takes few minutes of copying data and the drive almost "dies". SUPER ***** SSD and laptop. AVOID.