My laptop screen is not being detected but external monitor works fine A515-55

Tikken1
Tikken1 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I just got back from vacation and for some reason my main laptop screen is black but my external monitor works fine. I tried "extending" or "duplicating" display but it did not work. It also seems to say that "device 1" is not detected. My drivers are all updated.  Any thoughts of how to fix this? 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Try to turn the screen on with the FN+F6 or FN+F5 toggle key combination.

If no success, the shut the machine down normally. Remove the charger. Then either remove the battery pack for a few minutes or insert a paperclip into the reset pinhole if present on the bottom of the laptop for about 60 seconds. Then plug the charger back in and wait for the battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue. Then try to turn it on again without  the external screen connected.

If still no success, it's likely that the LCD video ribbon cable needs to be re-seated at the mainboard and bottom of screen to help clean the contacts or the cable itself needs to be replaced from wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much which can break internal conductors that pass thru the hinge area.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Tikken1,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• Tikken1
    Tikken1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    A515-55  thanks
  • JackE

If no success, the shut the machine down normally. Remove the charger. Then either remove the battery pack for a few minutes or insert a paperclip into the reset pinhole if present on the bottom of the laptop for about 60 seconds. Then plug the charger back in and wait for the battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue. Then try to turn it on again without  the external screen connected.

If still no success, it's likely that the LCD video ribbon cable needs to be re-seated at the mainboard and bottom of screen to help clean the contacts or the cable itself needs to be replaced from wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much which can break internal conductors that pass thru the hinge area.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Tikken1,

Try to do power drain,

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug the charger. 
    3. At the bottom there will be a tiny pin hole with battery sign close to it take a pin or paper clip and insert into it hold that button for 20-30 seconds. Then turn ON the unit and check.​

• JackE

Jack E/NJ