upgrade ram and ssd but i cant find any info about my module aspire 3 315-21

Medaoubid
Medaoubid Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have an aspire 3 315-21 amd a9 9420e 4gb ram 1tb hdd
I looked up my module but i cant seem to find it even if i do 
I couldnt find any helpful info
I want to upgrade my ram but i cant find the maximal size supported and the memory clocks supported
Also i dont know if the m.2 slot is an m.2 sata or nvme
I will be glad and very thankful 😊 to get an answer

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    No, it will actually support up to 3200MHz DDR4 RAM since all faster RAM will automatically downshift to whatever the mainboard bus will allow. In your case it's either 2133MHz or 2400MHz depending on production variations. The specsheet actually recommends 2400MHz as shown below or higher. Also due to production variations, you should go to crucial.com and run their scanner on your machine to see if it will accept 16GB even though the early production releases specify 8GB.  As noted earlier, 8GB should be fine. 16GB may work too but not guarranteed.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,434 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Medaoubid said:
    I want to upgrade my ram but i cant find the maximal size supported and the memory clocks supported

Your Aspire 3 - 315-21 accepts M.2 2280 SATA III type B&M end key type SSD's. Also and in as far as the memory, install CPUz and look in sections "Memory and SPD" to find out the exact OEM specs of your fitted 4GB memory and match the same specs or upgrade to the other and below recommended Acer memory modules for your laptop:

Note: In as far as capacities of the 2.5" spinner and SSD's and the M.2 SSD drives they are only restricted by the MBR formatting rules for Windows OS's which is a max of 2TB or the GUID Partition Table (GPT) formatting which is can accept drives above 2TB capacities.

Answers

• JackE
    You can safely add up to an 8GB DDR4 sodimm 2400MHz or higher for a total of 12GB RAM with the 4GB non-replaceable soldered module. However, some mainboards might accept and recognize up to 16GB for a total of 20GB but not guaranteed. The m.2 socket should be a single m-key tab so both a  SATA3 m.2 B+M double keyslot card and an NVME m.2  M single keyslot card should fit and work fine.  The mainboard bus however may not be fast enough to allow the NVME card to operate at it's full speed potential which is roughly 4 times SATA3 speeds max.

Jack E/NJ

• Medaoubid
    Medaoubid Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    You can safely add up to an 8GB DDR4 sodimm 2400MHz or higher for a total of 12GB RAM with the 4GB non-replaceable soldered module. However, some mainboards might accept and recognize up to 16GB for a total of 20GB but not guaranteed. The m.2 socket should be a single m-key tab so both a  SATA3 m.2 B+M double keyslot card and an NVME m.2  M single keyslot card should fit and work fine.  The mainboard bus however may not be fast enough to allow the NVME card to operate at it's full speed potential which is roughly 4 times SATA3 speeds max.
    I actually looked up the apu specs on the internet and the apu only supports 8GB 2133 MHz unfortunatly. 
    And thanks for the answer
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    No, it will actually support up to 3200MHz DDR4 RAM since all faster RAM will automatically downshift to whatever the mainboard bus will allow. In your case it's either 2133MHz or 2400MHz depending on production variations. The specsheet actually recommends 2400MHz as shown below or higher. Also due to production variations, you should go to crucial.com and run their scanner on your machine to see if it will accept 16GB even though the early production releases specify 8GB.  As noted earlier, 8GB should be fine. 16GB may work too but not guarranteed.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,434 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Medaoubid said:

Your Aspire 3 - 315-21 accepts M.2 2280 SATA III type B&M end key type SSD's. Also and in as far as the memory, install CPUz and look in sections "Memory and SPD" to find out the exact OEM specs of your fitted 4GB memory and match the same specs or upgrade to the other and below recommended Acer memory modules for your laptop:

Note: In as far as capacities of the 2.5" spinner and SSD's and the M.2 SSD drives they are only restricted by the MBR formatting rules for Windows OS's which is a max of 2TB or the GUID Partition Table (GPT) formatting which is can accept drives above 2TB capacities.