Trying to reinstall Windows 10 on Aspire 5 A515-56T on NVMe but it isn't visible

mrstangblb21
mrstangblb21 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I just bought a new Aspire 5 for our church, and I normally reformat the drive and install our Windows 10 Pro volume license. Now I'm trying to reformat the NVMe drive, and it won't show up at all when trying to format and install. Any ideas? The NVMe drive is the only drive in the laptop.

Thanks for any help!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi mrstangblb21,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password

3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. Recovery - 25
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Probs rst or VMD, could we grab the model number to point you in the right direction for the driver you need :) 
  • mrstangblb21
    Leostat said:
    Probs rst or VMD, could we grab the model number to point you in the right direction for the driver you need :) 

Aspire A515-56T

• mrstangblb21
    Easwar said:
    Hi mrstangblb21,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password

3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. Recovery - 25
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

That's how I would normally do so, but I don't have any files, etc. I just turned this laptop on yesterday.

What I'd like to do is install our Windows 10 Pro media through the USB Media Creation Tool as I format the drive, then I need to go through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Portal to insert our volume license.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    That would make it a I5 or a I7 11th gen chip which means its the VMD controller.

Head to here:
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19512/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-installation-software-with-intel-optane-memory-10th-and-11th-gen-platforms.html

Grab the intel VMD driver ( 7642224D34171017FD3E506563515197695617B7 ) add it to your USB stick in a new folder. When you come to install and sleect the drive, either hit F6 or click the "my drive needs a driver" button, browse to your driver, select the inf and blamo, it should load, relaod and show you the drive :)

If this doesnt work, you could disable VMD in the UEFI but i wouldnt recomend it. You head to the bios, hit cntrl+s, browse to the advanced tab (i think) and turn off VMD). try to use the driver though as VMD saves power and makes the drive faster.
  • mrstangblb21
    Leostat said:
    That would make it a I5 or a I7 11th gen chip which means its the VMD controller.

Head to here:
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19512/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-installation-software-with-intel-optane-memory-10th-and-11th-gen-platforms.html

Grab the intel VMD driver ( 7642224D34171017FD3E506563515197695617B7 ) add it to your USB stick in a new folder. When you come to install and sleect the drive, either hit F6 or click the "my drive needs a driver" button, browse to your driver, select the inf and blamo, it should load, relaod and show you the drive :)

If this doesnt work, you could disable VMD in the UEFI but i wouldnt recomend it. You head to the bios, hit cntrl+s, browse to the advanced tab (i think) and turn off VMD). try to use the driver though as VMD saves power and makes the drive faster.

That's awesome. EXACTLY what I needed! I got everything booted and installed - now the hard part is getting our Volume License Key to work... but THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Have a wonderful night, and I hope you know Jesus loves you!