Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 C-state disable?

ShangWang
ShangWang Member Posts: 186 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
Hello,

Based on this article: The Solid State Drive (SSD) on my laptop makes a strange squeal/buzzing noise | Dell Canada
I noticed that my new WD_Black SN750 500GB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD which was installed on my computer does make a high pitch noise on startup. However, I found out this is probably normal.

Disabling/changing c-states seems to do more than reduce noise, do any of you recommend I change the settings in BIOS and is it possible for my laptop? I don't mind the noise overall knowing it's normal.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The high pitch noise is probably mainboard coil whine due increase CPU power demand by the drive but not from the drive itself. You can effectively change CPU power states and coil whine by simply right clicking the battery icon in the tray. Click power option. Click change plan settings. Click change advanced power settings. Click processor power mgt folder. Try scaling back max processor state to see what happens. If no effect, I wouldn't try to change anything in the BIOS outside of the Windows environment since it might adversely affect ACER's basic design of its proprietary mainboard power management 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The high pitch noise is probably mainboard coil whine due increase CPU power demand by the drive but not from the drive itself. You can effectively change CPU power states and coil whine by simply right clicking the battery icon in the tray. Click power option. Click change plan settings. Click change advanced power settings. Click processor power mgt folder. Try scaling back max processor state to see what happens. If no effect, I wouldn't try to change anything in the BIOS outside of the Windows environment since it might adversely affect ACER's basic design of its proprietary mainboard power management 

Jack E/NJ