System interrupts always high at Acer a515 55g pls help asap

Afdhal
Afdhal Member Posts: 80 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
Whenever I open task manager,It always shows 100% system interrupts even when doing nothing as I posted screenshots below.Ive done pretty much everything,Ive reseted my pc and done a full restore more than 5 times to no avail,Its still the same.Even when I restart my pc its the same and i have to wait for a while for everything to settle before I can use my pc as even the task manager shows not responding..When i open task manager it shows 100% and then it gradually reduces to normal usage but then as soon as i open it again its the same.Added to that whenever I open any browser be it chrome firefox or opera edge etc it takes about 20 seconds to even open and in task manager it eats up the hdd and system takes full hdd.what should I do is it cause of the hdd,should I switch to an ssd or is it a faulty laptop?the laptop is useable but it hinders the experience as I know I can get more from it.I hope my question makes sense and you can Help me,believe me ive tried everything from disabling antivirus to fresh install to hard reset to chkdsk.Thanks and Peace be to you all.Please refer to the pics below.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    System interrupts are how PCs work. Don't mess with them. You might have other issues.

Click TaskMgr's startup tab. Looks like far too many background processes are running at startup that you aren't using. Try right clicking and disabling those that you really don't need to be running all the time.

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal
    JackE said:
    System interrupts are how PCs work. Don't mess with them. You might have other issues.

Click TaskMgr's startup tab. Looks like far too many background processes are running at startup that you aren't using. Try right clicking and disabling those that you really don't need to be running all the time.
    Hi JackE hope ur doing good,No I barely have any background processes running at all, I posted screenshots of both task manager startup tab and the windows settings.While I do get that system interrupts may be "good",certainly system interrupts at 100% causing the cpu to also be at 100% is not good right?ANd I have to wait till it all settles before I can use the laptop again fluently.So now what do you suggest?Thanks
  • JackE
    Follow suggestions in this link. Please post results, good or bad, if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal
    JackE said:
    Follow suggestions in this link. Please post results, good or bad, if possible.
    Hi jack,I tried everything in that link except updating the bios.unfortunately to no avail the issue still persists.I was a bit skeptical on updating the bios since the default bios version is the same one in the acer website.But other than that I tried eveyrthing but its all the same.Even now when I go to task manager it shows 100 cpu and system interrupts at 100 before it reduces gradually but stays constant at 13 to 10 %.Maybe its a task manager Bug I suppose or an issue with the internal hardware on my laptop.Even "System"sometimes takes up full hdd whenever I restart or open chrome or any browser or spotify etc.
  • JackE
    >>>done a full restore more than 5 times to no avail,I>>>

What do you mean by this? Did you actually do a full erase everything ACER OEM factory reset from the hidden ACER reset partition using the ALT+F10 cold boot method?

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal
    JackE said:
    >>>done a full restore more than 5 times to no avail,I>>>

What do you mean by this? Did you actually do a full erase everything ACER OEM factory reset from the hidden ACER reset partition using the ALT+F10 cold boot method?
    My bad I shouldve worded it clearly,I meant a full system reset from windows settings.I think the Acer OEM settings are all available to my knowledge.Although I did to a local reinstall of windows from the acer bios once before but the high system issue was always there before
  • JackE
    Try this. Shut machine off. Then turn it back on and immediately press the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If a recovery menu appears, this means you can be sure you have actually accessed the hidden partition with the original ACER OEM factory Windows version. If you do a full erase everything factory reset from this hidden partition, the machine will be reset to an original factory delivered out of the box state. If the issue persists immediately after installation before any major Windows updates are applied, then it simply means this is a inherent hardware property with the factory drivers. In this case, I suggest that you download and try DriverBooster freeware to see if it can pick up any better on line drivers that may help speed up the interrupt's transition to lower CPU usage. If you are still unhappy with this, and if it actually affects machine performance outside of the TaskManager monitor, then I suggest that you return the machine to the vendor for a refund or an exchange for another laptop brand or model before the vendor's return merchandise authorization period expires. Usually only a few weeks. 

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal
    JackE said:
    Try this. Shut machine off. Then turn it back on and immediately press the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If a recovery menu appears, this means you can be sure you have actually accessed the hidden partition with the original ACER OEM factory Windows version. If you do a full erase everything factory reset from this hidden partition, the machine will be reset to an original factory delivered out of the box state. If the issue persists immediately after installation before any major Windows updates are applied, then it simply means this is a inherent hardware property with the factory drivers. In this case, I suggest that you download and try DriverBooster freeware to see if it can pick up any better on line drivers that may help speed up the interrupt's transition to lower CPU usage. If you are still unhappy with this, and if it actually affects machine performance outside of the TaskManager monitor, then I suggest that you return the machine to the vendor for a refund or an exchange for another laptop brand or model before the vendor's return merchandise authorization period expires. Usually only a few weeks. 
    Ok Jack Ill try both the suggestions and let you know,I doubt both would be able to fix it but its alright it could be a task manager bug I guess but who knows?lol.
  • Afdhal
    JackE said:

Update...I tried the first thing as you suggested by shutting down and pressing Alt +F10 and as soon as I pressed that the screen went into recovery saying your pc needs to be repaired an unexpected error has occured etc.So I pressed F1 and went into startup repair,then got an error saying sonething like startup repair couldnt work,Then went to the uefi settings and selected load optimal defaults.Then Switched the pc off,Went back to recovery mode and did a local reinstall of windows.(still restarting)So far based on what I experienced what do u think is wrong?Especially with me getting the recovery error??Also I did hear the hdd clicking sound when I shut down so That may be an issue as well.
  • Afdhal
    When I pressed alt and F10 this appeared..Please excuse the trash camera quality with the spots lol Its taken from a potato
  • JackE
    >>>did a local reinstall of windows.(still restarting)>>>hdd clicking sound>>>

Let the factory install continue. If it completes, immediately open Control Panel. Search 'restore point' Click 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up, make sure System Protection is enabled.

Then go to the elevated command prompt and run 'sfc /scannow'. If all OK, we might want to do a disk hardware check. What HDD is installed?

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal
    JackE said:

Let the factory install continue. If it completes, immediately open Control Panel. Search 'restore point' Click 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up, make sure System Protection is enabled.

Then go to the elevated command prompt and run 'sfc /scannow'. If all OK, we might want to do a disk hardware check. What HDD is installed?

Unfortunately its still the same i went to the task manager and it showed the same thing.I feel like doing this many full resets might have damaged it more cause now the system process eats up the hdd and slows down the pc quite a bit,I have to wait a while like 3 mins for it all to settle till it becomes useable.IF not its just stuck and laggy and someTimes White screens if i press the windows key thrice or twice.as you suggested I did an sfc scannow and it didnt find any integrity violations.My hdd is a sata 1tb st1000LM035 _1Rk172(what it says on device manager)
  • Afdhal
    Ill download the Iobit driver booster and check as in my device manager it shows 2 unknown devices.The thing is the driver booster suggests driver updates for intel drivers that intel themselves suggest to go for acer drivers...And normally 3rd party driver apps have like 15 driver updates that arent even legit,I feel like.Regardless Ill try it and see,Fingers Crossed..
  • Afdhal
    JackE said:

Should I try and update the bios?The default bios I have is version 1.13 which is also the latest on Acers driver page.Should I download the same version again replacing the current version?

• JackE
    Yeah, that drive is a low-spindle speed dog. Cheap & good for storing a lotta stuff. But slow to stuff the whole Win10 pig into RAM and up to speed. Once it's all loaded into RAM, it should be fine. You can help the drive a bit by making sure fast start is turned on in Control Panel's power button app. That leaves a lot of Win10 startup stuff in low power state RAM so it doesn't have to get it all off the drive. My suggested remedies? Add an m.2 SSD boot drive or replace the dog with a 2.5" SSD.

Jack E/NJ

• Afdhal
    JackE said:
    Yeah, that drive is a low-spindle speed dog. Cheap & good for storing a lotta stuff. But slow to stuff the whole Win10 pig into RAM and up to speed. Once it's all loaded into RAM, it should be fine. You can help the drive a bit by making sure fast start is turned on in Control Panel's power button app. That leaves a lot of Win10 startup stuff in low power state RAM so it doesn't have to get it all off the drive. My suggested remedies? Add an m.2 SSD boot drive or replace the dog with a 2.5" SSD.

I tried updating some drivers with the driver booster but the system interrupts 100cpu still persists,I guess its nothing that can be done maybe some hardware issue or a faulty error somewhere,kind of a deal breaker but I hope I can still live with it lol.Should I download the bios from acers website to replace the current one I have?There the exact same version though 1.13,Would be unnecessary right?Thanks for your suggestions man Ill surely get an Ssd Im certain that would fix the high hdd usage although I doubt it would help with system interrupts taking 100cpu but its what it is lol.👍👍💪
  • JackE
    An SSD will certainly help reduce the time the cpu spends at 100% on loading Windows into RAM from a slow HDD!!! You see, loading the operating system is not a direct memory access (DMA) process from HDD to RAM. The CPU is the middleman involved at all stages of loading Win10 from the HDD into RAM!  The HDD is the bottleneck. Not the middleman. The middle man CPU is being tied up waiting for the HDD!

I suggest that you leave the BIOS firmware alone!!! Its job of properly initializing all the basic input and ouput devices (including the slow HDD) is done once the ACER logo appears and Windows starts loading into RAM from the slow HDD. The BIOS seems to be working as it should.

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Afdhal

System interrupts getting high are frequently associated with some faults in the hardware. I would suggest you trying to remove as much devices attached to the PC as possible to the bare bone for testing. Reducing to one memory module, one HDD/SSD ,take out Wi-Fi card ... etc.

If problem is gone, put back the device one by one.

If problem persist, change to a new SSD/HDD, seems like something is not right with the drive.
  • Afdhal
    JackE said:
    An SSD will certainly help reduce the time the cpu spends at 100% on loading Windows into RAM from a slow HDD!!! You see, loading the operating system is not a direct memory access (DMA) process from HDD to RAM. The CPU is the middleman involved at all stages of loading Win10 from the HDD into RAM!  The HDD is the bottleneck. Not the middleman. The middle man CPU is being tied up waiting for the HDD!

I suggest that you leave the BIOS firmware alone!!! Its job of properly initializing all the basic input and ouput devices (including the slow HDD) is done once the ACER logo appears and Windows starts loading into RAM from the slow HDD. The BIOS seems to be working as it should.

@JackE Thankyou.Btw do you have any idea why by pressing Alt +F10 the recovery screen showed my pc/device needs to be repaired blah blah blah,Whats the reason for it??Could that be proof that the system interrupts is a hardware issue?Or is that something else.It also said use recovery tools and if i dont have any to contact device adminstrator??Any idea.Sorry to ask im just curious if I happen to reset the pc maybe in the future with an ssd intact the entire windows might be deleted permanently and the only way is by a recovery usb.Thanks
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Afdhal

As long as you have created system image backup, nothing will be deleted.

Or when you reset your PC, you will be given the choice of keeping your data files or reset it to the point of factory release condition.