Swift SF314-59 won't display second monitor thru TB4 dock

snarf
snarf Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

This is the second TB4 dock that I've tried (model is a Echo 11 Thunderbolt 4 Dock) and I'm getting the exact same behavior so its unlikely it is the the dock and far more likely its the laptop or its graphics card or some driver issue.

I have 2 monitors, one is an ASUS VP28U (supports DP and HDMI) and an older Samsung T24B350 (supports HDMI). Each monitor is connected to the TB4 dock via USB-C cable and then the dock is connected to the laptop's TB port. The TB port seems to otherwise be working fine as it charges the laptop as it should. But no matter what I try I can only get one of the two monitors to display (whatever one is connected first), I've tried them both on HDMI, or the newer one on DP and the older one on HDMI but it makes no difference. In Win 10 Display settings it does not detect the second monitor, I get only the laptop display and one monitor. If I close the lid I get just the one monitor.

If I connect one monitor to the dock, and run a standard HDMI cable to the laptop's HDMI out then I get 2 monitors detected but the whole purpose of a TB port is its supposed to be a single connection you dock to that handles everything which does not appear to be the case with this laptop. I already sent a probably good dock back to Razer so I really need a solution to this or I'm gonna have to send the laptop back and go with another manufacturer.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    Use the HDMI port on the laptop for one monitor and the dock for the second. The dock is likely using the DP over USB-C function to drive it's monitor, and that only has one video signal on it, so can't drive two different monitors.
    There are docks that generate their own video signals, and they support multiple monitors simultaneously, but it's cheaper for them to just use the DP over USB-C rather than putting enough smarts to handle multi-monitors.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • snarf

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Use the HDMI port on the laptop for one monitor and the dock for the second. The dock is likely using the DP over USB-C function to drive it's monitor, and that only has one video signal on it, so can't drive two different monitors.
    There are docks that generate their own video signals, and they support multiple monitors simultaneously, but it's cheaper for them to just use the DP over USB-C rather than putting enough smarts to handle multi-monitors.

Just to clarify, this is a TB4 laptop connected to a TB4 dock. The whole reason for purchasing this setup is ONE (and only) one connection (the TB4 cable) from laptop to dock handles everything, power, data, video, audio, everything. Plus the dock in question doesn't just support one monitor. It supports up to 2 @ 4k: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo11-thunderbolt4-dock/overview.html. Again this is the second dock I've tried that supports at LEAST dual monitors @ 4K and neither worked. So its not the dock, its something else in the chain. Is there some adapter or dongle I'm missing here? It doesn't seem likely given that each monitor works on its own independently, it seems more likely that Acer bungled their TB4 implementation and that's what's causing the issue. I'm open to trying anything though.

• moolbkram
    moolbkram Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I have the exact same behavior with a Caldigit TS3 dock
  • AlexY
    AlexY Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited October 2021
    Have same problems with CalDigit Element Hub with TB4. Did any of you solve this problem or confirmed it has no solution within TB4 -> TB4?
  • snarf

Tinkerer

AlexY said:
    Have same problems with CalDigit Element Hub with TB4. Did any of you solve this problem or confirmed it has no solution within TB4 -> TB4?

Yes Alex, here is what I did after getting zero help from Acer:

1. Went to my account on Amazon.com
    2. Initiated a return to send this POS laptop back, when asked the reason I simply explained that it claims to be TB4 but does not implement the protocol correctly and does not work as promised
    3. Purchased an Asus Zenbook which works flawlessly with the dock and has zero issues because they implemented TB4 correctly.
    good luck
  • snarf

Tinkerer

AlexY said:

Yes Alex, here is what I did:

2. Initiated a return to send this POS laptop back, when asked the reason I simply explained that it claims to be TB4 but does not implement the protocol correctly and does not work as promised
    3. Purchased an Asus Zen Book which works flawlessly with the dock

good luck to you
  • snarf

Tinkerer

AlexY said:

Yes Alex, here is what I did:

3. Purchased an A S U S Zen Book instead and it works flawlessly
  • billsey
    The port only supports one video signal in alternate display mode, so you can only pull one signal out of it. You have to use a smarter dock if you want to have the dock drive more monitors.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • snarf

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    The port only supports one video signal in alternate display mode, so you can only pull one signal out of it. You have to use a smarter dock if you want to have the dock drive more monitors.
    Utter nonsense. Had you actually read the TB4 spec you would know it supports dual 4k monitors @60hz . So the fact that this laptop doesn't implement that just means it is not a TB4 laptop as advertised. 

And a "smarter dock"? Lol. It's not the dock, I tried two different dicks and there are two other posts on this thread with 2 other models and it worked for no one. You know what worked? Ditching this machine and buying one that actually implements the spec correctly
  • AlexY
    I have tried today with other more expensive dock station which have proved to be able to deal with 2 4K monitors. Same result - only one monitor
  • billsey
    The TBT4 spec allows for up to two monitors, but doesn't require that it support both streams. That's a design spec that is left to the manufacturer. "Smarter dock" means one that generates it's own video signal as opposed to requiring the laptop do it all. There are lots of them on the market that support more than one monitor...
  • snarf

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    The TBT4 spec allows for up to two monitors, but doesn't require that it support both streams. That's a design spec that is left to the manufacturer. "Smarter dock" means one that generates it's own video signal as opposed to requiring the laptop do it all. There are lots of them on the market that support more than one monitor...

The specs of the car define a maximum speed of 150 mph, but it only goes 75 mph....that's how stupid this is...what a joke. Last Acer product I will EVER buy.
  • AlexY
    In their manual there is a mention of 2 4K displays support via TB4
  • snarf

Tinkerer

AlexY said:

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with it not being 'required to support the two streams" nor does it have anything to do with needing a 'smarter' dock. Its just a POS laptop that advertises itself as TB4 but is TB-nothing
  • AlexY
    snarf said:
    1. Purchased an A S U S Zen Book instead and it works flawlessly
    Which model exactly? I am looking to buy ZenBook 14 UX435
  • snarf

Tinkerer

edited October 2021
    AlexY said:

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with it not being 'reuired to support the two streams"

AlexY said:
    snarf said:
    1. Purchased an A S U S Zen Book instead and it works flawlessly
    Which model exactly? I am looking to buy ZenBook 14 UX435

The ZenBook 13 Ultra Slim with the OLED screen, it was on sale, super light/portable and the screen while only 13.3 is stunning. The only thing to beware of is to stay away from their gaming laptops (like the Tuf Book 15 for example), I tried one of those first (again, it was $200 off at the time so I was getting a great deal) but that one didn't work because it pulls so much power that the dock cannot supply enough to keep it charged...the max power supported by TB4 is 100W but even when I turned performance/battery setting down it still wouldn't charge via TB
  • Coldsteak
    Coldsteak Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sorry to necro a thread, but I'm having this same EXACT issue with an Acer ConceptD 3 Ezel (Thunderbolt 3 and TB3 dock)
    snarf has it right, Acer SUCKS with Thunderbolt support. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the POS because I never came across this issue until I wanted to have a TB3 dock (I'm a couple days out of their short AF warrantee.) The manual for my model also says it supports 2 4K displays @60hz
    Just like snarf, I'm never going to buy another Acer product again. Legit false advertising.
  • Coldsteak
    Coldsteak Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sorry to necro a thread, but I'm having this same EXACT issue with an Acer ConceptD 3 Ezel (Thunderbolt 3 and TB3 dock)
    snarf has it right, Acer is terrible with Thunderbolt support. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the POS because I never came across this issue until I wanted to have a TB3 dock. The manual for my model also says it supports 2 4K displays @60hz
    Just like snarf, I'm never going to buy another Acer product again.
  • saittam
    saittam Member Posts: 2 New User
    phu, Thanks for this thread!

I have the same issues herre. I have tried the following notebooks:
    ACER Swift 3 SF314-57
    ACER Swift 3 SF314-59

with these docking stations:
    i-tec TB3TRIPLEDOCKPDCH
    HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 120w
    Lenovo Thinkpad Dock G2

2 monitors 4k 60Hz with TB 3/4 does not work!!! I always have to connect with HDMI to get the second monitor, and by the way, this one is alway milky (tried it with hdmi high speed and premium high speed). I realy feel cheated...
  • jpgatica
    jpgatica Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hey guys,

Here in 2023 this thread has helped me to workaround my issue.

I am experiencing the same issue with an Acer Swift 3 SF314-42, connected via a CalDigit Element Hub to two external monitors, but it was only detecting one.

Now I tried connecting the other via HDMI and that helped, it's only inconvenient that it has to be that way because now I have two cables to disconnect when moving from the Acer laptop to my Mac and vice versa, but hey at least after a few hours trying to make it I found a solution thanks to you guys!