Why does my battery charge then discharge?

Mefudji
Mefudji Member Posts: 3 New User
Hello, I wanna adress something that's been happening to my notebook, whenever I plug It in, It charges fine but seconds later It begins to switch between charging and discharging in seconds. Does anyone know what does this mean? Also, whenever my notebook's off, it charges perfectly fine. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    It means the cpu and gpu are under heavy load and demanding more power than the charger can put out. During those times, the battery must help the charger by adding its power to the charger's power to meet the demand. In other words, it's discharging. When battery charge levels drop below about 50%,  it takes precedent over cpu & gpu power demands  and you may notice a decrease in gaming performance. This is normal behavior.

Jack E/NJ

• Mefudji
    JackE said:
    It means the cpu and gpu are under heavy load and demanding more power than the charger can put out. During those times, the battery must help the charger by adding its power to the charger's power to meet the demand. In other words, it's discharging. When battery charge levels drop below about 50%,  it takes precedent over cpu & gpu power demands  and you may notice a decrease in gaming performance. This is normal behavior.
    Oh, That's quite unusual because i only use my notebook for work & stuff, not any heavy tasks. i thought the battery was faulty, but i guess that's not the case anymore. Thanks for the answer though! 😊
  • JackE
    Check task manager for cpu gpu disk etc usage even for work & stuff. For example, if you have any non-M icrosoft virus scanners running in the background they can take a big toll particularly for online "stuff" :) Most folks don't need these scanners anymore with Windows defender and malicious software tool.

Jack E/NJ

• Mefudji
    JackE said:
    Check task manager for cpu gpu disk etc usage even for work & stuff. For example, if you have any non-M icrosoft virus scanners running in the background they can take a big toll particularly for online "stuff" :) Most folks don't need these scanners anymore with Windows defender and malicious software tool.
    Thanks for the tip, my notebook's faster but now the battery icon goes back and forth between plugged in and unplugged. a little weird.
  • JackE
    A garden-variety 45-watt charger tends to do this more than the same laptop model with a discrete GPU that often is equipped with a 65-watt or 90-watt charger.

Jack E/NJ

• Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @Mefudji
    Could you please tell me model name of device