Which SSD would you choose? WD Black SN750 vs Samsung 980 Series Aspire TC-885

Tweety39
Tweety39 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
The SSD comes with my 2-year old Aspire TC-885 suddenly died and I have to buy a new one.
I have two SSDs in mind and I cannot decide which one is better for me.
Right now the price is identical on amazon.

I use the desktop PC mainly for business and I am not a gamer.
The money is tight, but at the same time I just do not want to experience the sudden death situation again so reliability is important.
Could anyone give me an advice? I open to any SSDs in the same price range. 

Western digital SN750 500GB NVMe Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND
Samsung 980 Series - 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4 NVMe 1.4 - M.2 Internal SSD

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @Tweety39

I also have a TC-885 PC. So, the WD SN520 X2 M.2 NVMe SSD died ( my PC had it).
    Take this chance to upgrade to a x4 drive instead, doubling the speed.

Both the WD SN750 and the Samsung 980 are good, with similar performance and reputation. Maybe a little bit different in price.
    I have a 500GB WD SN750 Black and a Samsung 970 EVO (not the 980), cannot tell which one is better. Both used for Linux to the x16 slot with adapters.

How about get both? LOL!

Answers

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @Tweety39

I also have a TC-885 PC. So, the WD SN520 X2 M.2 NVMe SSD died ( my PC had it).
    Take this chance to upgrade to a x4 drive instead, doubling the speed.

Both the WD SN750 and the Samsung 980 are good, with similar performance and reputation. Maybe a little bit different in price.
    I have a 500GB WD SN750 Black and a Samsung 970 EVO (not the 980), cannot tell which one is better. Both used for Linux to the x16 slot with adapters.

How about get both? LOL!
  • ttttt
    @Tweety39

On my TC-885-UA91, I use a Silicone Power A80 500GB x4 M.2 NNVMe SSD as the primary boot drive.
    This is considered a very good value drive, with performance close to that of WD SN750 and Samsung 970 EVO.
    It may not have the reputation of the big names. Still worth considering.

Still considering buying another 500GB Silicone Power A80 for my new laptop (just 128 GB), but there will not be much data on the laptop, don't need it immediately.
  • Tweety39
    Thank you ttttt!! I really appreciate your taking time to answer my question.

It seems like there is not much difference between the two SSDs.
    According to the specification, WD black SN750 has slightly better read speed but I don't think I would notice the difference. Yes, I wish I could afford both!! :)
    I did little research on the internet and some people say Samsung comes with a better tool and some people say WD SN750 is super fast. Because the price is identical right now, I just cannot decide.  

Thank you for letting me know about Silicon Power A80 500GB x4 M.2 NNVMe SSD. I don't know much about Silicone Power but it looks like a good one. I will keep eye on it!!
    Thank you again. 
  • Tweety39
    I haven't purchase anything yet but I think I will go for Samsung 980 (only reason is that Samsung is in stock right now). I  don't think I will notice any difference anyway. :)
    Thank you so much for your answer ttttt!
  • ttttt
    @Tweety39

You are welcome ! Enjoy your upcoming new drive.