I have an emachines G640, it has an unused socket on the motherboard near the memory

Options
The socket in question appears 'tall' compared to the width of the connector, the connect has 8 pins + 18 ( I think its 18 but my eyesight isnt great). No label I can see on the mother board. Looks like it might be ogp14 or ogpi4 on the plastic of the socket itself.  I have circled it on this picture of the motherboard from one of these machines.
If it is a route to an upgrade I might be interested in doing it but I cant find paperwork saying what it is.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    It looks like a Mini PCIe slot like the one holding your WiFi card. Likely for adding a SSD to the system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • davehitchman63
    davehitchman63 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I will let you know, as its fairly cheap I have ordered an SSD and will pop it in and see if it is useful. Good thought!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Please let us know. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • davehitchman63
    davehitchman63 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I popped an SSD in, I dont 'see it' anywhere, not bios not OS (linux), maybe it still needs formatting or something to be visible and if anyone has a clue how to when none of the system tools are showing it then I would be happy to hear from you.
    On the other hand while in there I swapped out my 2GB ram for an 8GB ram - apparently bigger than many of the specs say works, and now the bios reports 12gb (8+4) and so does the OS... so happy about that!