Monitor issues after mounting to monitor mount Predator x27

Options
_glook
_glook Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2021 in Predator Monitors
I recently attached the predator to a vesa monitor mount. Afterwards, I noticed that the fan was working overtime. I disabled the overclock, and I ordered some spacers and longer screws, so I'm hoping that takes care of airflow issues. However, in the meantime, the fan has started to get quite noisy (I never noticed it before), and it even shut off just now.

Is there a better fan that I can replace it with?

Is using spacers enough to get airflow to the monitor so this doesn't happen with the new fan?

Thanks!

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,976 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just select one of the replies and mark it as the solution and you'll be good.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options
    It would help a lot to know what monitor you have... There should be a model number and then a bunch of letter to pin it down to a specific SKU. It might be that the fan is right behind the VESA mount and too long of screws deformed the fan mount.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • _glook
    Options
    My bad, I think I had a brain fart when I posted this.

It's a Predator x27. Another thing I noticed is that when my monitor has been idle (black screen), I'll come back a few hours later and find that the fan is still on.
  • billsey
    Options
    Ah, but there have been a lot of different SKUs in the X27 line. That's why I asked for all those nonsense letters after the X27 part. :)
  • _glook
    Options
    Ah I see, that's good to know. I'm just realizing I actually did put that I had a predator monitor in my title, which I somehow didn't see the second time through and thought I had left that out initially. The brain fart happened in the post where I said I had a brain fart, haha.

However, it somehow stopped being an issue. There's a bunch of things that changed:
    - My linux OS I think switched my refresh rate to 60 Hz somehow, which makes sense why it would no longer cause issues. Since I don't use it to game, I'm happy with keeping it at 60 there (and the monitor no longer heats my room very much as well, which is a plus). Somehow, this also made it so that it no longer whirred when the screen was idle or turned off, maybe because less heat during use translated to less heat it needed to get rid of later?
    - I then put spacers from my monitor mount about 23mm, so the fan no longer is enclosed by the monitor mount, but instead has 23mm of opening for the hot air to deflect sideways from the monitor mount.
    - In addition, on my Windows partition, I reduced the Hz to 120. I did a 2 hour gaming session using HDR and didn't hear anything noticeable.

Thanks for pointing our that info though; next time I have an issue, I'll provide the correct info.

I don't know how to close an issue, if that's even a thing on these forums, but this is effectively solved!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just select one of the replies and mark it as the solution and you'll be good.