Iandyl
Iandyl Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 2021 in Nitro Gaming
My nitro 5 an515-57 can't use mx500

Answers

• jaymel01
    jaymel01 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Yep same here, purchased a AN515-57 i5 version yesterday, tried to install a Crucial MX500 sata SSD 1TB drive and after the machine would not boot, i would get power on but a black screen. If i disconnected the drive it booted fine. Had to settle for a 1TB HDD 5400rpm drive as that worked. Stupid that certain hardward don't work.
  • thoriniii
    thoriniii Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem with the MX500 500GB. After installation the laptop would power on but would not boot up. I installed a 
    OCZ SSD 2.5"" SATA3 128G Agility 4 and everything worked perfectly. I am buying a Silicon Power SSD and hope it works. The OCZ is only 128G. My laptop is the AN515-57-77FU with i7 11800H
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Options
    If the AN515-57 model does not identify the ssd, the only possibility to solve the problem is to update the bios to the latest version: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8963?b=1
    Now, depending on the video card version, the two m2 2280 ports can only support gen4x4, see:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hoffster
    Hoffster Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options
    Anyone fix this issue? I have the same problem with my MX500 1TB SATA SSD.
  • AussieNoob
    AussieNoob Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Following...
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,950 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Options
    The AN515-57 does support the SATA-3 6GB/sec drives, the latest BIOS v1.10 "1.Fix flicker issue for BOE LCD sku" has nothing to do with anything to to do for the AN515-57 to support the SATA-3 6GB/sec drives, as these drives are supported. As I've said on another post, first check the SATA "FFC CABLE FOR HDD-50.Q7KN2.005" (see below) if its working and/or its pugged and makes contact into the mobo plug properly? Or test the AN515-57 with another 2.5" SSD and see if that works or not? If it does work with another 2/5" SSD then the MX500 Crucial is not compatible with this laptop, so ask Crucial directly why?

FFC CABLE FOR HDD-50.Q7KN2.005
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    first, check the ssd firmware:
    You can also connect the ssd mx500 to the other computer that is recognizing the ssd and then try to update the firmware, see: https://www.crucial.com/support/ssd-support/mx500-support
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hoffster
    Hoffster Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options
    Tried contacting Crucial and so far they have been no help. Just get the same responses : Check BIOS - Check it's connected properly - Check it in another system.

Tested several other SSD brands and no issues. It seems the MX500 are currently not compatible with this particular laptop.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! Try this:
    a) access windows and press windows+r. Then type msconfig, go to system boot and enable safeboot.
    b) then restart windows. Windows will enter through safeboot. Restart again.
    c) then access the bios, go to the main tab, press ctrl+s and disable the vmd controller. Press f10 to save and exit.
    d) then go to power options, disable fast startup and turn off the computer.
    e) connect ssd again check if the problem still occurs.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SyxAxis
    SyxAxis Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Had exact same issue, had to return drive.

Machine: Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57
    SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB CT2000MX500SSD1

- Machine tried to boot but just had black screen.
    - Updated firmware to v1.10 just to be sure.
    - Tried with other SSDs and all these worked perfectly and allowed Nitro to boot perfectly and read the existing drive content.
      - Samsung EVO 850 256GB SSD
      - SanDisk 1TB sata 6gb/s SSD
      - Really old WD 750GB HDD ( 4 year old old spinning rust drive! )

Put Crucial SSD on my desktop via a plain USB3.0 sata adapater and it came up instantly. So drive was OK itself.

To me this proves this Crucial MX500 SSD is not compatible with the internal SATA port of the Acer Nitro 5, so would advise you avoid.

I returned it same day back to Amazon for refund and bought a Samsung QVO 2TB SSD, it's only store games and other static data on my wife's Nitro laptop. So long as read speed is min 500mb/s, that's good enough for me.
  • CVonC
    CVonC Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited December 2021
    Options
    I am having the same issue with a brand new Crucial MX500 1TB SATA on my brand new Nitro AN515-57 (v1.1 BIOS) that comes with a 512GB WDC PC SN530 m.2 NVMe.

The laptop won't even POST when both SSDs are connected.

But it will POST, get into the BIOS and detect the Crucial if the WD is not connected.

So either the problem is with the WD or the Nitro 5 doesn't like Crucial being connected along with any other m.2 SSD. I believe it is the latter, as others have indicated that the Nitro 5 works with other SATA SSDs.

I'll borrow my friend's non-WD m.2 SSD (as I don't have a spare) and see if it'll POST with the Crucial. I doubt it though as I'm assuming the m.2 SSD on the Nitro 5's that the other users got working with non-Crucial SATA SSDs, is not necessarily a WD one.
  • CVonC

Tinkerer

Options
    Just tried updating the firmware of the Crucial drive (put it in a USB enclosure and connected to another laptop). The MX500 I got already has the latest firmware (M3CR043).

I then connected this USB enclosure to the Nitro 5 and it detects it fine and wants to format it.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @CVonCYou can also disable the vmd controller to work around the problem.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CVonC

Tinkerer

edited December 2021
    Options
    @CVonCYou can also disable the vmd controller to work around the problem.

Yes thank you! I saw your post in the other thread and replied to that first. Thank you so much! Do I need to re-enabled VMD controller or keep it disabled?
  • CVonC

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay need to keep it disabled otherwise it doesn't get detected.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @CVonCI advise keeping the vmd controller disabled. What is the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DoctorProctor
    DoctorProctor Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi I have the same issue, however when I disable VMD I can't boot anymore because I get an error. (I think "Inaccessible Boot Device")
    Is there no other way to fix this? Would the SSD or the laptop need a firmware update? I don't understand what is actually causing the problem.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @DoctorProctorYou need to enable safeboot in windows, via msconfig, before disabling vmd controller in bios.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CVonC

Tinkerer

Options
    @CVonCI advise keeping the vmd controller disabled. What is the bios version?
    BIOS is 1.11 (latest).

I've done more testing with the MX500. I'll paste what I wrote on another forum:

A Crucial MX500 prevents the laptop from booting unless you disable the VMD controller in the BIOS (default is enabled). This generally slows down the CrystalDiskMark write speeds for the installed WD PC SN530. Not that that really matters too much.

If you connect another NVMe drive (specifically I tried a Dell OEM SK Hynix 512gb) in the spare m.2 slot along with the MX500, you can have VMD enabled and the laptop will boot.

If I then swap the Dell OEM SK Hynix with a Samsung 970+, VMD enabled, it will boot with the MX500 connected but the 970+ does not get detected in Windows even though it does show up in the BIOS. If WMD is disabled then the 970+ does get detected in Windows.

The laptop seems to be super picky with the MX500.

• bobbygoodson
    bobbygoodson Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    If this is a Crucial-brand drive, the following worked for me. With the drive removed, open the BIOS, go to the ADVANCED Settings, go to the MAIN tab. On the MAIN tab, press ctrl-s to make VMD enable/disable available. Disable VMD and DAST BOOT and save the settings and restart. My system fialed to load Windows (10), but gave me the option of restarting in the troubleshooting menu of WIN 10. I then restartred in SAFE MODE, and the laptiopn booted into SAFE MODE with no issues. I shut down, installed my Crucial MX500 drive, and this time everything booted normally.

PH315-54-760S, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA 3060 graphics card, NVME System Drive, Windows 10. Installing a Crucial MX500 4TB SATA-3 SSD