My tablet is an Acer Aspire P3-171. It has Windows 8.1. Will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10?

MGJCC001
MGJCC001 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 2021 in Tablets
My tablet is an Acer Aspire P3. It has Windows 8.1. Will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10? If possible, what steps do I take?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    MGJCC001 said:
    My tablet is an Acer Aspire P3. It has Windows 8.1. Will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10? If possible, what steps do I take?

With your Aspire P3-171 "Yes it can be upgraded for free to Win-10" if you have a Microsoft account and are registered with your Win-8 or 8.1? If not then you will have to buy the OS if MS are giving these OS's away now and before the relese of Win-11?.

To upgrade your Win-8 or 8.1 do it the usual way by getting an 8GB USB driven downloading to it the "Create Windows 10 installation media" files then make sure you use your P3-171 laptop to do this USB installation 8GB drive with. After the installation, follow one of these steps here  Activate Windows 10 to activate your Win-10 Pro (as an upgrade from Win-8.1 corelates with Win-10 Pro). I've done this to many laptops that had Win 8 or 8.1 and they work 100% as an upgrade through a "digital licence". One thing I would advise is and because your P3-171 is limited 4 GB DDR3 onboard memory, you should use the lower spec and demanding Win-10 Home version and not the Win-10 Pro. 

• TwelveTone
    TwelveTone Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

There are several sites that will tell you how to upgrade from 8.1 to Win10, and you might be able to do it.   Apparently many people have.   But beware, if you have any minor issue with your installation like corrupted files or any number of other things Windows doesn't like, then the upgrade will likely fail.   I had some corrupted files and ran a Windows utility to fix them, checked my hard drive (no bad sectors), uninstalled anti-virus and disabled everything that wasn't Microsoft, and a bunch of other preparation beforehand and even tried the upgrade a couple of different was but still could not get my laptop upgraded.   Hopefully yours is squeaky-clean and won't have issues, but don't get your hopes up.   Or there is always a clean install method...