I am trying to install windows but in my boot option it only shows " Windows boot manager "

vivek123123
vivek123123 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2022 in Windows 10
I  am trying to install windows but in my boot option it only shows "  Windows boot manager "  i have tried putting a supervisor password then disabling secure boot but also it only has uefi mode it doesn't show legacy mode what to do now?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    I  am trying to install windows but in my boot option it only shows "  Windows boot manager "  i have tried putting a supervisor password then disabling secure boot but also it only has uefi mode it doesn't show legacy mode what to do now?

What is your laptops or desktops model number? As in UEFI type BIOS the Boot Mode should be UEFI and Secure Mode should be (Enabled) and your Boot priority order: 1. Windows Boot Manager which is normal.

Just boot from the Windows Installation USB and go through the installation process and install windows that way, as the windows installation process will install windows-10 onto your "
    1. Windows Boot Manager" drive. Btw, this is the UEFI Boot section from BIOS from a fully and 100% working laptop with Windows-10 Pro latest version 21H1 OS build: 19043.1165 which I believe is the latest as at 15 August 2021.

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi vivek123123,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• Donaldson33
    Donaldson33 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi StevenGen,

I have the same issue here. My laptop model number is SF314-511-50K5. I want to boot from USB HDD but my Boot priority order only contains 1. Windows Boot Manager and nothing else.

I have set Supervisor Password and tried both enabling and disabling secure boot as other posts suggested. I can't change the Boot Mode either.

• Donaldson33

Tinkerer

Hi Easwar,

I have the same issue here. My laptop model number is SF314-511-50K5. I want to boot from USB HDD but my Boot priority order only contains 1. Windows Boot Manager and nothing else.

I have set Supervisor Password and tried both enabling and disabling secure boot as other posts suggested. I can't change the Boot Mode either.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

There isn't a legacy mode on most modern systems, that was only needed for early versions of Windows 7 and before. To install Windows from am install flash drive make sure the BIOS is set with the F12 Boot Menu enabled then put the flash drive in one of your USB ports, reboot and hit the F12 where you would normally try to enter the BIOS. From the list of bootable devices choose the flash drive and it will take it from there.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Donaldson33

Tinkerer

@billsey I am not trying to install Windows. I want to boot from a Linux system which was installed in a portable HDD. I don't remember the portable HDD was formatted as GPT or MBR, but my boot menu only has Windows Boot Manager and no USB HDD etc.. The F12 Boot Menu is enabled.

• Donaldson33

Tinkerer

@StevenGen @Easwar Not sure if you could comment on this post please?

• USB linked HDD detection problems are many so read this guide Hard Drive Not Detected? Here’s what to do.as and also you can tell the format of this HDD in Disk Manager under Properties >Volumes >Partition Style, as it will tell you there if its MBR or GUID which is UEFI

• Donaldson33

Tinkerer

Just checked, the HDD is MBR. What could I do to boot into the portable system without losting the data?

• You need to use a Legacy PC and see if the portable system HDD is recognized and then back all your valuable data up first and then do an MBR to UEFI conversion without losing your data, see this guide How to Convert MBR to UEFI in Windows 11, 10, 8, 7 as that is why your laptop is having trouble recognizing this HDD.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Yes, you can access the data on the MBR drive through either Windows or Linux, but to run an OS you need to boot from a GPT drive with an EFI partition. What do you need from the old Linux image?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.