Looking to switch from IDE to AHCI on Legacy Veriton M420

Options
chuckm441
chuckm441 Member Posts: 22 Networker
edited August 2021 in Legacy Desktops
Does anyone know the right driver to use?  We have Windows XP 32 bit installed on this one.  Never online, so that doesn't matter.  But with XP, we can't just change a Registry setting like we can with Windows 7, then switch the BIOS to AHCI.  I need the right driver for this model to provide the AHCI support to XP.  Does anyone know which one to use?  It might be in the Vista or Win 7 chipset if I extract those, but I would rather not risk making the wrong choice and having it look ok now but cause issues to haunt us later.  Thanks!  

Best Answer

Answers

• chuckm441
    Options
    P.S. This PC came with the Vista Business/XP Professional option (2009).  The user wanted XP.  It surprises me that Acer would have defaulted to IDE back then with AHCI available.  Why go with the slower storage performance?
  • chuckm441
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Never mind!  Found the drivers for AHCI in XP on AMD website:  780G Drivers & Support | AMD ... it has them for all Windows versions from XP on.   B)

• chuckm441
    Options
    Update:  Looks like I did NOT solve this myself.  The AHCI drivers buried in that chipset were dedicated only to several Windows Server OS editions, and not to Windows XP at all.  So I do still need AHCI drivers for XP 32 Bit for the AMD 780G chipset.  I did send a support request this morning to AMD regarding that.  I asked them if they had bundled the wrong AHCI driver in that chipset Catalyst installer.  Will update this once I hear back.  But if anyone does know where I can find an AHCI driver for XP that works with the 780G chipset, please let me know.