Acer Swift 5 SF514-55TA Bluetooth disrupts video and voice

Options
TwiggSparkles
TwiggSparkles Member Posts: 3 New User
My Acer Swift 5 SF514-55TA is having issues with bluetooth functionality. I am able to use bluetooth headphones to listen to music, but as soon as I try to use the bluetooth functionality to interact in a Zoom meeting, or to use Google Voice/Meet, nothing works. Zoom and Google freeze and I can't do anything or hear anything. I did the troubleshooting from the settings, but it didn't change anything. It feels as though the bluetooth driver is failing? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    Is it the use of the microphone that's causing the issues, or do the speakers over Bluetooth also cause it in those apps?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TwiggSparkles
    Options
    I hadn't thought to test that, thanks for the suggestion! I was able to use the Bluetooth speaker just fine within zoom, so I imagine you're correct and that somehow the mic is interfering, though I'm still clueless as to a way to solve it :anguished: Perhaps you've got some insight? Thanks for your speedy and thoughtful reply!
  • billsey
    Options
    We need to try and pin it down to software or hardware. If you use the built-in mic for Zoom, does it work (albeit not as well as an external might)? If only the Bluetooth mic acts up and the built-in or an external plugged into the audio jack work fine then we go one direction. If any mic has issues we go a different direction.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TwiggSparkles
    Options
    Thanks for all your help in this. I am not really able to test this, as the bluetooth headphones also have a mic, so both the headphones and mic "activate" automatically, does that make sense? Seeing as this laptop isn't even 6 months old, I believe I am going to initiate a warranty inquiry. Thanks for all your attention.
  • billsey
    Options
    Be sure and let us know what happens.
  • netnazgul
    netnazgul Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hello, I have a similar issue when using wireless bluetooth earbuds (Jabra Elite 65t Active). They connect more or less fine as media (though audio select in taskbar starts to freeze for a sec or two when clicked, when earbuds are selected as media sink).
    But as soon as I try to use their microphone anywhere (i.e. select it as active in Zoom or Skype), or try to open Audio settings in Win10 config), every audio-related control freezes for several seconds and can't be operated. I am able to speak and hear via Zoom after ~10 seconds for some time, but as soon as microphone is muted or unmuted - it freezes interfaces for another 5-10 seconds.
    Earbuds work just fine with Android smartphone, also they worked correctly with a USB-Bluetooth dongle into PC (at least as media). So it looks like it is an Acer bluetooth driver or hardware issue.

One note, I have a slightly different laptop model than OP (Acer Swift 5 SF514-55GT-58CS), but I suppose Bluetooth hardware should be the same there.

• billsey
    Options
    It would be best to open a new thread (use the Ask a Question button) for yours, since it's a different model. Acer typically uses the drivers provided by the manufacturer for hardware. Different systems tend to often use different hardware, so yours might be different. The commonality between the 55TA and 55GT models is mostly the touchscreen, so there might be different b/luetooth hardware.