Aspire A515-45-R6WB Touchpad Driver - which one

Alchemy101
Alchemy101 Member Posts: 7 New User
There are 2 touch pad drivers listed for an A515-45 - ELANTECH & Synaptics.

How do I know the correct one to install? the specs do not list the manufacturer of the touchpad.
My unit has a fingerprint  reader, so I think that I should be using the one from ELANTECH

The current drives is from Microsoft 6/21/2006
The reason I'm looking for a new driver is that the touchpad cursor becomes very slow when some programs start up.
I can't see any way to increase the priority of the touchpad driver and lowering the priority of the problem programs doesn't help.

Comments welcome.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    No harm is trying both, Before trying however, right click and uninstall each touchpad/mouse driver you find in the Device Manager mouse and hid folders. Exit Device Manager without trying to install anything. Shut down Windows normally. Turn the machine back on and let Windows auto redetect the touchpad hardware and re-install fresh copies of its drivers. See if that affects response.

Jack E/NJ

• Alchemy101

Before installling the touch pad driver you need to first install the i/o drivers.. 

Try enabling and disabling the touchpad..  It might fix the issue.. 

Please look at the key f6 and f7 key on keyboard .    You can see the hand symbol with fingers .   That denotes the touchpad function key.   On some models it will be on f6 and some models it will be on f7.    So we need to use the right key depending upon the laptop model .   If fn + f7 is not working then we have to use f7 alone to make it to work.     

On some laptop models there will be a separate button right  next to touch pad area which is beow the space bar.  It is used to turn on and off the touch pad.  On some old models it will be right next to power button.   On all new models, f7 key is used to enable and disable the touch pad. 

After disabling and enabling the touchpad check how it is working.. 

If it is still not working 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers - Install the i/o drivers first and then install the touch pad driver 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    >>>There are 2 touch pad drivers listed for an A515-45 - ELANTECH & Synaptics.>>>

No harm is trying both, Before trying however, right click and uninstall each touchpad/mouse driver you find in the Device Manager mouse and hid folders. Exit Device Manager without trying to install anything. Shut down Windows normally. Turn the machine back on and let Windows auto redetect the touchpad hardware and re-install fresh copies of its drivers. See if that affects response.

Jack E/NJ

• Alchemy101
    I don't see a serial I/O driver in the list of drivers - not sure why this is listed on the support page.

Interestingly, the drivers etc. are shown on the CA site but not for the US Acer site for my model. Odd.

Enabling/disabling the touchpad via the function key doesn't help.
    Uninstalling the touchpad driver & reboot resulted in the same MS 2006 driver being installed, and didn't change the problem.
    Back with more results later.

• JackE
    Try both touchpad drivers in this order.

(1) Elantech first.

(3) If still no joy, then the Synaptic driver.

Jack E/NJ

• Alchemy101
    The ELANTECH driver was applied to the mouse in Device Manager, and it didn't change the slow cursor issue.
    The Synaptics driver didn't seem to be applied to anything in Device Manager.

I'll contact support next.
    Thanks for your help.

• Alchemy101
    No I did not.  I try it later today.
  • Alchemy101
    Ran the msi, selected Repair (not Unintstall) - nothing done - chipset is not compatible