GPU spikes. Should I be concerned? - an515-54

darkvoidessence
darkvoidessence Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited August 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Hi! My laptop is an515-54. just a while ago, i was doing some simple modeling on sketchup pro 2021 and when i finished, i noticed my gpu was consistently spiking. i hasn't happened before, and usually sketchup modelling is not that heavy so i dont know what to do. should i be concerned and get it checked? what does it mean and how can i possibly avoid it? 

​//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi darkvoidessence,

Plz restart the system and check the status. 
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,643 Pathfinder
    Hi! My laptop is an515-54. just a while ago, i was doing some simple modeling on sketchup pro 2021 and when i finished, i noticed my gpu was consistently spiking. i hasn't happened before, and usually sketchup modelling is not that heavy so i dont know what to do. should i be concerned and get it checked? what does it mean and how can i possibly avoid it? 

Do you have any CPU/GPU monitoring software on? They tend to be the usual culprits when nothing else is using the GPU.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • darkvoidessence

Tinkerer

sri369 said:

Do you have any CPU/GPU monitoring software on? They tend to be the usual culprits when nothing else is using the GPU.
    hi! does the acer nitrosense counts as a gpu monitoring software? other than that, i haven't installed any monitoring system in my laptop
  • darkvoidessence

Tinkerer

sri369 said:

hi! does the acer nitrosense counts as a gpu monitoring software? other than that, i haven't installed any monitoring system in my laptop
    also it only shows at 100% when i did use sketchup (which uses the gpu). but when im not using it, it doesnt spike. 
  • darkvoidessence

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi darkvoidessence,

Plz restart the system and check the status. 
    hi! i did restart it and ran it alongside sketchup as i did when i first noticed it happening. it is still the same, still has a 100% spike in the gpu usage

• darkvoidessence

Tinkerer

after 1 hour of sketchup modeling with only sketchup and nitrosense as the running apps. i also noticed it only spikes whenever im modeling in sketchup, but when i leave sketchup open without doing anything (not modelling, just leaving it open), it doesnt spike. 

• sri369
    after 1 hour of sketchup modeling with only sketchup and nitrosense as the running apps. i also noticed it only spikes whenever im modeling in sketchup, but when i leave sketchup open without doing anything (not modelling, just leaving it open), it doesnt spike. 

There you go, you are good then.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • darkvoidessence

Tinkerer

sri369 said:

ohhhhh so its okay that the gpu reaches 100% whenever im actively using sketchup? haha
  • sri369
    sri369 said:

ohhhhh so its okay that the gpu reaches 100% whenever im actively using sketchup? haha
    yesssss sir
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------