Aspire A515-56 Wifi not staying connected

Options
leeanner
leeanner Member Posts: 1 New User
I recently purchased a new Aspire A515-56 and the WiFi doesn't stay connected once the laptop goes into sleep mode. When it wakes up, WiFi is not connected and when I check for connections, the list shows no connections available, and the only way to fix the issue is to restart the laptop. We do not have any issues with other devices in the house.
I have checked the drivers, and they seem to be up to date - I have only been able to find a driver on the Acer site, not on the manufacturer's site.
Device Manager says Network Adaptor is MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7921, however if I check "product details" on the Acer site where my product is registered, it says my model should have the following: Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,577 Trailblazer
    Options
    Open Device Manager again. Right click on the wifi adapter. Click properties. Click power mgt tab. Uncheck box the let computer turn off adapter to save power

Jack E/NJ

• William_mk2
    Options
    leeanner

If it is still not working 

Try windows x 
    Go to device manager - Go to Network adapter.  Expand it 
    Uninstall the wireless driver from device manager.   Don’t restart the computer. 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers 
    Install the wireless driver

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Navaneetham
    Navaneetham Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi there, is this problem resolved? I am having the same problem.
    Just wondering if this is a one off problem or all have the same problem?

• beanerton
    beanerton Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I just returned this laptop to Amazon. It was advertise on their site having an Intel card but came with a Mediatek card instead. Needless to say, it's garbage. Spent yesterday afternoon updating everything, changing my router settings, etc. My 5 year Aspire and phone have not problem connecting. Definitely a mediatek issue and since they haven't been able to release a fix for 3 months tells me there is a serious problem with this card. Works fine if I don't go beyond 12 feet from the router. Good job mediatek! I'll make sure my next laptop doesn't have their card in it. I assume this card is embedded in the motherboard so I wasted no time shipping it back. Acer wanted me to ship it to Canada. Yeah right....here's a solution.....stop using mediatek cards and if you do test them to make sure reception doesn't drop beyond 12 feet. My advice, return it and get a refund. It's a shame, I did like the laptop. Intel probably had supply chain issues and Acer dumped this into the laptop as a workaround.
  • beanerton
    beanerton Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    As a follow-up, if you search around to other forums, you'll see more and more mediatek card problems being discussed. They obviously have a major problem with their most recent cards. With all the chip shortages and supply chain problems caused by Covid, I didn't want to take the chance on whether it can be fixed by a driver or not so it seemed a refund was my best option.
  • pauyl
    pauyl Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I had the same problem - and when wifi did connect, the max speed was 5-6 mbps.... I bought an Intel wifi adapter (wifi 6 - as this thing is advertised at..), downloaded the correct drivers for the Intel, broke open the case and swapped out the mediatek junk with the Intel card. Everything works as it should have out of the box!!  I hope Acer is listening!! When you sell junk, the word gets around quickly and sales tend to dry up.......