How do I fix the issue with my Killer Wireless Network Adaptor that keeps disconnecting? G9-591

Options
Antsmasher
Antsmasher Member Posts: 41 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited August 2021 in Predator Laptops
I am currently using the Ethernet as I am typing this. My Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter keeps disconnecting. Every time I trouble shoot it and reset the adapter, it would give me a few minutes of connection before it disconnects again. I have gone into device manager, uninstalled the adapter and restarted my Predator G9-591 laptop so that it would automatically reinstall the adapter. Additionally, I also have tried updating it. However, none of these actions have corrected the issue.

I wonder if anyone in this community can help me out. I appreciate it.

Answers

• Batareika007
    Batareika007 Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

did you try to install driver from ace support ? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support-product/6370?b=1

also did you update the bios version ?

if it working and stops, I think it's driver version. If you have the killer wireless software program installed, try to uninstall it.
  • Antsmasher
    Options

did you try to install driver from ace support ? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support-product/6370?b=1

also did you update the bios version ?

if it working and stops, I think it's driver version. If you have the killer wireless software program installed, try to uninstall it.
    Hi Batareika007,

Thanks for providing support.

I did not try to install the driver from acer support. I noticed that the dates on those drivers are from few years ago.

The current driver version I have for the Killer Wirless Network Adapter is 12.0.0.1118. I did update to update the driver, but the system indicated that I have the latest version.

I had previously uninstall the killer wireless network adapter driver through device manager and restart the laptop, so that it automatically reinstalls it. However, that did not solve the issue.

If updating my laptop's bios would fix the problem, how do I go about it safely?

• Batareika007
    edited August 2021
    Options

try to install the driver from acer support, some times old drivers work better then new one.

but first at device manager, check if you can roll back driver for wireless adapter 

also try to change power settings :

I don't recommend update bios on laptop for now, some time it make more bad things the good...
    but for your question, you can download the bios from acer support, connect power cable to laptop and run the installation, all will be done automatically, but if you interput the process, or shut down the laptop on installation, you will lost your laptop.
  • Antsmasher
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, Batareika007.

The device manager doesn't allows the option to roll back the wireless adapter driver. The button is grayed out.

I tried changing the power settings as you have pointed out, but after awhile, the wireless adapter still disconnected.

I am going to download the driver from Acer's support page.

I am assuming the one I have to download is the Wireless Land Driver, correct?

I just want to confirm with you before I move on ahead.

• HAL2020
    HAL2020 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

The device manager doesn't allows the option to roll back the wireless adapter driver. The button is grayed out.

I tried changing the power settings as you have pointed out, but after awhile, the wireless adapter still disconnected.

There are usually 2 LAN drivers (LAN is "Local Area Network" which is usually the network inside your main router; think of it like a gated community, the router is the gatekeeper and weak security guard; over wireless, you put your messages in the mail drone and they fly away to the gate, then are redirected to one of those old suction pipes to get sent; over wire, you have your own suction pipe).
    There could be any number of reasons your machine is constantly disconnecting.  One is the power options.  Not USB mind you... ...You want to go to PCI in those options and tell it not to turn stuff off.  The problem with these acer boards is that they tend to drain a lot of battery power, so anything that adds too much load, during any kind of a spike (from your power adapter or the battery), the system will default to turning things off to protect the more sensitive parts that it can do without, lightening the load, while it shunts the rest of the spike back to it's ground-path (usually to the battery).  Unfortunately, it's really sensitive, and most of the wireless cards are already set up with their own ground-path protection.  This is a holdover in windows, they've had it since early PCI, back when a good spike could really fry a motherboard, a graphics card, a wireless card, anything you added on really.
    Next, you'll want to right click the little windows icon in the bottom left corner and go to device manager.  You should see an item called "Network Adapters".  Open that.  Now you should see every adapter, physical or software (I have about a dozen WAN miniport hubs for different apps; windows 10 pro for workstations...), and you can select which driver you want to connect to.  I have 2 that have KILLER in the name.  One is my ethernet, the other my wireless.  The reason they did this is to enable a tech called "Doubleshot", which will test your connections for the best speeds and pick which one is best with each up\download when you have both connected  (It probably arrived in the software a good deal after your hardware was built).  Right click the first one, go to "Properties", then find the tab that says "Power Management".  Uncheck the box that lets it turn off the device.  Repeat this for the rest of the devices with KILLER in the name.  This will prevent windows from turning off your network hardware under any circumstances.  Restart your pc and try your networking.  If this doesn't fix your problem, you'll need to update the Killer networking suite to the latest version.  You can look it up online.  Once you download the installer, don't open it.  Move it to your desktop from your downloads folder.  Leave it there.  Now go to control panels (yes it's old, but it's still the best); you can find it by using the search next to the Windows icon (unless you've moved things all around).  Type in Control Panel, and it should have a suggestion for you; open that, and then, in the top text area where you see the words "Control Panel", put the mouse on the right side of the words until an arrow shows up, left click the arrow, select "All control panel" (Or similar), and then find "Programs and Features", open that.  Find Killer Networking or Killer wireless in your list there, and select it, then go to where it says "Uninstall".  When that's finished, restart.  Once you finish with that, try your networking for a while, without the manager (millions get by without it).  See how you like that.  IF you're a curious type who likes to fiddle with something that's already working, install the new Killer Networking Suite, but don't actually make any changes, just use it to monitor things unless you really know your hardware.  Try it out, and see how it goes.
  • Batareika007
    Options
    thanks to HAL2020 I forgot of that maybe easy fix for you.

show you pictures for easiest understanding the first steps.
    1. right click

2. Open network..

3. change adapter options

4. right click on your wifi adapter and chose Properties 

5. click on configure.

6. Go to Power Management tab and remove the mark like in the picture.
    Click "OK"

check now if it's work
  • Batareika007
    Options

yes, it's correct

• Antsmasher
    Options
    HAL2020 said:

There are usually 2 LAN drivers (LAN is "Local Area Network" which is usually the network inside your main router; think of it like a gated community, the router is the gatekeeper and weak security guard; over wireless, you put your messages in the mail drone and they fly away to the gate, then are redirected to one of those old suction pipes to get sent; over wire, you have your own suction pipe).
    There could be any number of reasons your machine is constantly disconnecting.  One is the power options.  Not USB mind you... ...You want to go to PCI in those options and tell it not to turn stuff off.  The problem with these acer boards is that they tend to drain a lot of battery power, so anything that adds too much load, during any kind of a spike (from your power adapter or the battery), the system will default to turning things off to protect the more sensitive parts that it can do without, lightening the load, while it shunts the rest of the spike back to it's ground-path (usually to the battery).  Unfortunately, it's really sensitive, and most of the wireless cards are already set up with their own ground-path protection.  This is a holdover in windows, they've had it since early PCI, back when a good spike could really fry a motherboard, a graphics card, a wireless card, anything you added on really.
    Next, you'll want to right click the little windows icon in the bottom left corner and go to device manager.  You should see an item called "Network Adapters".  Open that.  Now you should see every adapter, physical or software (I have about a dozen WAN miniport hubs for different apps; windows 10 pro for workstations...), and you can select which driver you want to connect to.  I have 2 that have KILLER in the name.  One is my ethernet, the other my wireless.  The reason they did this is to enable a tech called "Doubleshot", which will test your connections for the best speeds and pick which one is best with each up\download when you have both connected  (It probably arrived in the software a good deal after your hardware was built).  Right click the first one, go to "Properties", then find the tab that says "Power Management".  Uncheck the box that lets it turn off the device.  Repeat this for the rest of the devices with KILLER in the name.  This will prevent windows from turning off your network hardware under any circumstances.  Restart your pc and try your networking.  If this doesn't fix your problem, you'll need to update the Killer networking suite to the latest version.  You can look it up online.  Once you download the installer, don't open it.  Move it to your desktop from your downloads folder.  Leave it there.  Now go to control panels (yes it's old, but it's still the best); you can find it by using the search next to the Windows icon (unless you've moved things all around).  Type in Control Panel, and it should have a suggestion for you; open that, and then, in the top text area where you see the words "Control Panel", put the mouse on the right side of the words until an arrow shows up, left click the arrow, select "All control panel" (Or similar), and then find "Programs and Features", open that.  Find Killer Networking or Killer wireless in your list there, and select it, then go to where it says "Uninstall".  When that's finished, restart.  Once you finish with that, try your networking for a while, without the manager (millions get by without it).  See how you like that.  IF you're a curious type who likes to fiddle with something that's already working, install the new Killer Networking Suite, but don't actually make any changes, just use it to monitor things unless you really know your hardware.  Try it out, and see how it goes.
    Thanks for the suggestion,HAL2020. Unfortunately, the checkbox for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" has already been unchecked before I created this post. So, that doesn't solve the problem.

I did go through your instructions to uninstall the Killer Wireless driver/program through the Programs and Features in the control panel, but I didn't find it among the list.

Can't I just go through device manager to uninstall the Killer Wireless driver? By the way, I have tried uninstalling the driver before and restarted by laptop, so that it automatically reinstalls it. However, that didn't solve the problem as my Wifi still automatically disconnected.

I think I will just go ahead and install the Wireless Lan driver from the Acer support page as Batareika007 have suggested.

• RunKitty
    RunKitty Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Did you ever resolve this issue?
  • Antsmasher
    Options
    I've implemented the solution that Batareika007 suggested and for awhile, it worked, but from time to time, I had the issue popping up again.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Options
    I am currently using the Ethernet as I am typing this. My Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter keeps disconnecting. Every time I trouble shoot it and reset the adapter, it would give me a few minutes of connection before it disconnects again. I have gone into device manager, uninstalled the adapter and restarted my Predator G9-591 laptop so that it would automatically reinstall the adapter. Additionally, I also have tried updating it. However, none of these actions have corrected the issue.

I wonder if anyone in this community can help me out. I appreciate it.

The Killer cards are very problematic as even the new ones like I've got the Killer AX1650i 6 Wi-Fi 6 160Hz has given me problems from new with the latest updated Intel Bluetooth drivers in Win-11 (that none of them work and leave my BT dead and unresponsive) as the only drivers that work in Win-11 are the Acer OEM Wi-Fi/BT drivers which I'm still using today. You don't need to update these drivers if they work and do what its been instructed above.