Fix Artifacting and EGPU for Acer Aspire e15 e5 576g 88ep

Options
Lylu012321
Lylu012321 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited August 2021 in Aspire Laptops
hello everyone, i am using acer aspire e15 e5 576g 88ep.  I'm having a problem with GPU artifact, can it be fixed and how much does it cost, will it fail again later?  And is the USB Type c port Thunderbolt?, if so what is the Thunderbolt version?  I want to use Egpu instead if the Nvidia mx130 card can't fix it but I don't know if that USB type c port supports Thunderbolt.  And does the m2 port to mount the ssd support Pcie to mount the Egpu?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sorry, not thunderbolt. Gen1 data only USBC. m.2 SSD socket is SATA3 so not suitable. Most egpus require using the m.2 wifi socket. If the latest BIOS update doesn't fix the mx130, then you should download and install DriverBooster freeware to see if it can find more suitable drivers online.

Jack E/NJ

• Lylu012321

Tinkerer

Options
    Update Bios can fix artifacting error ???, I haven't tried it yet because updating bios it's something dangerous
  • Lylu012321

Tinkerer

Options
    My bios version is 1.49, Is it the latest version?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes, that's the latest. Try DriverBooster freeware.

Jack E/NJ

• Lylu012321

Tinkerer

Options
    i have tried all the software tricks on the laptop, even i have reinstalled windows 10 2 different versions, tried all drivers and all sorts of ways, it still doesn't work even a little bit.  I think it might be hardware, can I reflow with a hair dryer or heat gun?.  This is also another way that is more risky than updating bios, can someone help me?
  • Lylu012321

Tinkerer

Options
    It's unfortunate that this problem happened when it was just 1 year out of warranty.  :'(
  • Lylu012321

Tinkerer

Options
    Has anyone ever reflowed the gpu with a hair dryer or heat gun on an Acer laptop?. Let me know if that works, and for how long??  :#
  • Lylu012321

Tinkerer

Options
    Please help mee !!!!  :'(:'(:'(
  • JackE
    Options
    If the hidden ACER factory reset partition is still intact, you can try an ALT+F10 cold boot ACER OEM Win10 factory reset. It is arguably the best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue.

Jack E/NJ

• Lylu012321

Tinkerer

Options
    In the disk management section, I have 3 recovery partitions. Including 549mb, 529 mb, 1023 mb. Is 1 of those partitions an Acer OEM partition?. Or just is the System Protection partition
  • Lylu012321

Tinkerer

Options
    I realized something was wrong here, they are all recovery partitions.  There aren't any partitions that say OEM partition.  Why is that, because I saw it exist before, somehow it disappeared.  I have never touched it.  And I noticed that there is an area of ​​more than 1gb unallocated, is that the OEM partition deleted?
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry, this usually happens when someone tried to install a generic Microsoft Windows version using either Microsoft's USB media creation tool or a Windows USB iso prepared with a bootable USB tool like Rufus. This often creates multiple recovery partitions and unfortunately either corrupts or renders the ACER OEM recovery partition inaccessible.

Make sure the D2D and F12 boot options are enabled in the BIOS Main tab. Then re-try the ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method again to see if it can access the hidden ACER OEM reset partition.

Jack E/NJ

• Lylu012321

Tinkerer

edited August 2021
    Options
    i think if i use d2d revovery now it wont work, because i lost the oem partition first.  And like I said above I have reinstalled windows 2 times, once I used d2d when I had oem partitions.  Second time I use ISO.  And both times didn't work at all.  I'm pretty 100% sure it's error hardware.
  • Lylu012321

Tinkerer

Options
    I am currently in Vietnam.  I tried taking it to the service center where I bought it from before.  And the price I have to pay is 1,500,000 VND, in dollars it is about 66 $.  But I will encounter 2 cases, 1 case is successfully repaired but may fail again after 2 to 3 months because of the heat.  2 is a dead motherboard because the GPU is soldered on the motherboard.  And I want to ask how will they do it, by reflow method?  And is such a price expensive?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I think if i use d2d revovery now it wont work, >>>

Probably not but try it again anyway. Press and hold the ALT+F10 combination. The while still holding the two keys, turn the system on.

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Lylu012321

Actually, updating BIOS isn't as danger as some people thought, particularly when you have a laptop with full battery power and have AC plug it. Go to the "Drivers and Manual" section of the "Assistant by Acer" on the right pane here to check if there is more updated BIOS than your current 1.49.

Be sure you follow the instructions of the Appendix folder carefully. If there is a Win 10 method, I'll recommend using it, as it is the simplest way without USB flash stick.

Anyhow, I believe your case is probably hardware problem or poor connection. Make sure the people do the repair is knowledgeable and trustworthy.
  • JackE
    Options
    He already updated the BIOS to the latest version early on. If he can no longer access the hidden ACER OEM recovery partition, then the only option to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is trying to get the OEM usb installation pendrive specific to his machine's SNID from the ACER store or an ACER service center in his region. Unfortunately, it may no longer be available.

Jack E/NJ