Predator Helios 300 Not handling minecraft.

UltanIsPotato
UltanIsPotato Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
So I recently got a new laptop (Predator Helios 300) and It can handle Red dead redemption 2 on ultra and high and still get a constant 50 which is ok in that game but I get like 40 in minecraft with low settings. My specs are  Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU 2.60GHz 16G GTX 1660 ti 120Hz Moniter. I have tried a lot of things such as downloading latest drivers, turning off vsync, turning graphics down, checking I am in performance mode and I am always plugged in besides when I go to sleep and I unplug it. I watch these benchmarks with the same specs and these people are getting over 200 fps easily and I am stuck around 40 fps. if someone can help me out that would be appreciated.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    If you run it in windowed mode and open up task manager, which gpu does it show it as using, and what's the % use on the CPU and GPU like :)? (Assuming java edition rather than bedrock as well!)
  • UltanIsPotato
    This is what is shows in my performance. 

• UltanIsPotato
    Leostat said:
    If you run it in windowed mode and open up task manager, which gpu does it show it as using, and what's the % use on the CPU and GPU like :)? (Assuming java edition rather than bedrock as well!)
    is that what you were needing?

• Leostat
    Yus, annoyingly both GPUs are in use, under the processes tab, does it show which gpu Minecraft is using? I have a feeling it my be the gfe thing Nvidia includes if it's using the correct gpu already
  • UltanIsPotato
    Leostat said:
    Yus, annoyingly both GPUs are in use, under the processes tab, does it show which gpu Minecraft is using? I have a feeling it my be the gfe thing Nvidia includes if it's using the correct gpu already
    How do I find which one it is using?
  • UltanIsPotato
    Leostat said:
    How do I find which one it is using?
    If you mean by when I am in minecraft and I click F3 and it shows my GTX 1660 ti then thats the one it shows in minecraft. I changed the "preferred gpu" in nvidia control settings for minecraft and it didn't help.
  • Leostat
    If you click into the gpu's , by any chance is gpu0 usage coming from copy, and of you right click the graph and change to show all cores, is it some cores are maxxed out?

If no cores are maxxed out and it's just gpu copy it could be the nvidia experience settings as nothing seems pinned to a 100%, it's an app which controls the fram rate / power use of games

Also are you running optifine? 

(Minecraft is a pain to troubleshoot due to how it works!)
  • UltanIsPotato
    Leostat said:
    If you click into the gpu's , by any chance is gpu0 usage coming from copy, and of you right click the graph and change to show all cores, is it some cores are maxxed out?

If no cores are maxxed out and it's just gpu copy it could be the nvidia experience settings as nothing seems pinned to a 100%, it's an app which controls the fram rate / power use of games

Also are you running optifine? 

(Minecraft is a pain to troubleshoot due to how it works!)
    I am indeed using optifine as you probably know people say its a fps booster.

• Leostat
    And the Nvidia gforce experience settings? Something is artificially limiting the frame rate but I'm afraid I don't know what
  • UltanIsPotato
    Leostat said:
    And the Nvidia gforce experience settings? Something is artificially limiting the frame rate but I'm afraid I don't know what
    Is this what the settings are?

• UltanIsPotato
    I turned off batter boost
  • Leostat
    Any difference? 
  • UltanIsPotato
    Leostat said:
    Any difference? 
    No there is no difference.
  • Leostat
    Is the igpu usage always at 70% when you are running Minecraft? That's a tad odd if it's not copy 🤔 under the processes tab, sort by gpu use when Minecraft is running, does it show the Nvidia in use? (I don't trust the in game over lay!)
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited August 2021
    @UltanIsPotato make sure you setup the dgpu manually on nvcp per/game app most times even if its set to the dgpu wont pick it up so force it manually and of course make sure youre always on AC never game on battery only

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• UltanIsPotato
    Leostat said:
    Is the igpu usage always at 70% when you are running Minecraft? That's a tad odd if it's not copy 🤔 under the processes tab, sort by gpu use when Minecraft is running, does it show the Nvidia in use? (I don't trust the in game over lay!)
    Is this the right thing? I cant find a thing to sort by gpu use.

• UltanIsPotato
    xapim said:
    @UltanIsPotato make sure you setup the dgpu manually on nvcp per/game app most times even if its set to the dgpu wont pick it up so force it manually and of course make sure youre always on AC never game on battery only

I have but it still doesn't work.

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Try defaulting your entire Nvidia Control Panel Settings and test again (Restore option)
    - Hotel Hero
  • UltanIsPotato
    Red-Sand said:
    Try defaulting your entire Nvidia Control Panel Settings and test again (Restore option)
    This made it decrease my fps a bit actually.
  • Leostat
    xapim said:

I have but it still doesn't work.

Nah under the processes tab not the usage tab , one of the columns tells youhow much gpu a process is using 

Also in the above screenshot you haven't set the right exe for Minecraft, it's a fiddely one. While Minecraft is running , right click the process in task manager , open process location . It should take you to a Java exe. That's the thing you need to set to use the graphics card (and also the reason frame rates can be so choppy, windows doesn't see Minecraft as a game due to it being written in Java)