I want to Upgrade my Acer Aspire 3 A315-51-39YY Ram....

JimJ1
JimJ1 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello everyone,

I want to upgrade my Acer Aspire 3 (A315-51-39YY) RAM to 16GB, currently I have 4 GB ram install.

Does my laptop support 16GB ram?
What is the maximum RAM capacity of my laptop?

One more question.

My task manager shows 2 ram slots, 1 fill and 1 empty, but when I open the ram cover it only shows 1 ram install
Where do I find the second slot?

Please guide me, I am not familiar with hardware stuff.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The scanner assumes you have the unreplaceable soldered 4GB, not the replaceable 4GB. Since you apparently lucked out and got a mainboard with an empty soldered slot, you'll have to replace the replaceable 4GB module with the 16GB module. So 16GB is the max since there is no 20GB module. No big deal. If it was mine, I'd go for the least expensive Crucial 16GB DDR4 module. C rucial modules are mostly top of the line M icron products and are competitive with budget brand offerings.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    One RAM slot is NOT replaceable and has a 4GB DDR4 module soldered to the mainboard. The other RAM slot is replaceable and you can add up to 8GB DDR4 RAM module. This will make a total of 12GB RAM maximum accepted  by the mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    JimJ1 said:
    Hello everyone,

I want to upgrade my Acer Aspire 3 (A315-51-39YY) RAM to 16GB, currently I have 4 GB ram install.

Does my laptop support 16GB ram?
    What is the maximum RAM capacity of my laptop?

One more question.

My task manager shows 2 ram slots, 1 fill and 1 empty, but when I open the ram cover it only shows 1 ram install
    Where do I find the second slot?

Please guide me, I am not familiar with hardware stuff.

Just as additional info and what Acer recommends for the memory setups and modules for your laptop, you can use these exact specs/setup combos but you can use other memory from other manufacturers also, as that is the best for your Acer Aspire 3 (A315-51-39YY) functionality and performance. 

Also and as far as the “Task Manager” is concerned, the specs shown there is only an overall and what the chipsets memory capacity specs are and the max memory slots that motherboards cater for, it does not show the exact memory slots of your laptop and what Acer has done and altered your motherboard to suit its chipset to function at. As your laptop has an onboard and 1x memory slot for a total and max of 12GB at 4GB onboard DDR4 memory plus it can accommodate a 1x max removable 8GB DDR4-2133MHz at 260pin memory module . Your exact memory specs and memory modules are as specified below by Acer for your Acer Aspire 3 (A315-51-39YY).

Acer Aspire 3 A315-51 memory Specs 

OEM Mememory module types

• JimJ1
    @JackE and @StevenGen

Thank you for answering my questions.

I have one more question.

The 4GB DDR4 module soldered RAM is not showing in the task manager, task manager only
    showing the 4GB total RAM and this RAM is the replaceable one.

And can I add a 16 GB RAM on my laptop? Because I already bought the RAM.

I know only 12 GB will be usable but Can I use the 16 GB RAM?

• JackE
    Apparently some mainboards were produced with an empty soldered RAM socket. In cases like this, I recommend running crucial's scanner on your machine to see what modules should work.

Jack E/NJ

• JimJ1
    @JackE

Thanks for the reply mate.

Crucial scanner shows I can add up to 20 GB ram on my laptop and it also recommend me some crucial RAM

Should I go for update?

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    The scanner assumes you have the unreplaceable soldered 4GB, not the replaceable 4GB. Since you apparently lucked out and got a mainboard with an empty soldered slot, you'll have to replace the replaceable 4GB module with the 16GB module. So 16GB is the max since there is no 20GB module. No big deal. If it was mine, I'd go for the least expensive Crucial 16GB DDR4 module. C rucial modules are mostly top of the line M icron products and are competitive with budget brand offerings.

Jack E/NJ