Aspire A514-54 Not able to boot or install Windows after installing Pop! OS

krea
krea Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi. I have an Acer Aspire A514-54, it came pre-installed with Windows 10 Professional. I was curious to try Linux and installed Pop! OS. Now after getting tired of it I am not able to boot into Alt+F10 to get intro troubleshoot mode or boot off an USB ISO of Windows under any circumstance, I tried all the variants in Rufus. All I get is either freezing at the Acer logo or getting at the 'please unlock cryptdata' screen which is part of Pop! Os. I can't get rid of this operating system now. Please help me do something and get back my Windows.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    🤔 weird, its something to do with the bootloader on the drive secure boot should be able to be on and you should be able to select the usb, does mashing f10 or f12 show the drive select option?

As a last ditch, you could try pulling the drive, if you get to the windows boot OK, and if you do boot into a live CD to use Gparted to wipe the current disk

Answers

• Leostat
    If you have another windows machine I would try creating a drive using the windows media creation toolkit, usually does the job :) 
  • krea

Tinkerer

Hi, I did try that and made it with Rufus, tried both MBR and GPT mode but no sadly no use. I still get into that encryption menu or get stuck at the Acer logo.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    krea said:
    Hi. I have an Acer Aspire A514-54, it came pre-installed with Windows 10 Professional. I was curious to try Linux and installed Pop! OS. Now after getting tired of it I am not able to boot into Alt+F10 to get intro troubleshoot mode or boot off an USB ISO of Windows under any circumstance, I tried all the variants in Rufus. All I get is either freezing at the Acer logo or getting at the 'please unlock cryptdata' screen which is part of Pop! Os. I can't get rid of this operating system now. Please help me do something and get back my Windows.

krea, forget about using ‘Rufus” first do this “Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10” with the “Windows installation disk/USB stick” then follow this guide “How to Install Windows 10 from Command Prompt? Which should make you be able to do a clean install of Win-10 and completely get rid of Linux/Pop.

If you are still getting "stuck at the Acer logo" and the "please unlock cryptdata" then do a complete disk format before doing the above like this:

In Command Prompt window, input “diskpart” and hit Enter key. Then, type the following commands in order and hit Enter after each one.

▪ list disk
    ▪ select disk m, “m” refers to the number of your disk that will be formatted
    ▪ clean
    ▪ create partition primary
    ▪ format fs=ntfs quick, where “ntfs” can be replaced with fat32 or exfat according to your own demand.

After successfully format the hard drive to a wanted file system, input exit, and hit Enter to close Command Prompt window. Then, assign a drive letter in Disk Management to it and you are able to access and open it from File Explorer to back up your files on the local disk within windows or use the "Windows installation disk/USB stick" to do a clean windows install. Good luck and hope this helpsyou out.

• krea

Tinkerer

edited August 2021
    Sorry, maybe I'm missing something. I cannot boot into any Windows 10 media to access the prompt and my other computer has Windows 7 installed. Also when I try to enable secure boot back on the laptop (i had to disable it for Pop OS) it gets stuck at the Acer logo.
  • Leostat
    When you say you tried that, do you mean downloading the iso via the tool and using Rufus or having the creation tool itself burn the usb :)? Rufus seems to be a bit iffy on the Acer bootloader, not too sure why as it should just be a case of got NTFS and UEFI only without legacy csm
  • krea

Tinkerer

I only used Rufus, now I will try the native mode and get back to you. :) Thanks!
  • krea

Tinkerer

edited August 2021
    I tried via Media Creation tool and created a Windows 10 USB stick. When I plug it in it immediately gets stuck at the Acer logo there is no way can enter BIOS using F2. When I plug it out I and reboot I can enter BIOS. Then I'm enabling Safe Boot back on, I plug in the USB stick, I'm saving changes. Then the laptop restarts and 'Security Boot Fail' shows up. I'm lost.

P.S The laptop does not respond to Alt+F12 in any of the above cases.
  • Leostat
    Answer ✓
    🤔 weird, its something to do with the bootloader on the drive secure boot should be able to be on and you should be able to select the usb, does mashing f10 or f12 show the drive select option?

As a last ditch, you could try pulling the drive, if you get to the windows boot OK, and if you do boot into a live CD to use Gparted to wipe the current disk
  • krea

Tinkerer

No, unfortunately F10/F12 still lead to 'Security Boot Fail'. Also, when I try to load BIOS factory defaults it just freezes there.
  • krea

Tinkerer

Finally, it worked after I deleted everything with GParted. Thank you so much everyone.
  • Leostat
    Sorry it took a while to get there, but glad it's now working for you :D , there is something woere about the bootloader Acer uses and the bootloader for the nix kernel, it doesn't seem to play well for some reason