Aspire Z5771 Upgrade Help

Jomac
Jomac Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited August 2021 in All-In-One PCs
I have recently bought an Acer Aspire Z5771 computer which i'm very happy with. I have upgraded the RAM to 8Gb and fitted an SSD retaining the original 1Tb as drive F for general storage.

The CPU fitted is the Intel G620 2.6GHz Dual core and and I would like to speed things up in this area. What alternative CPU's can i replace the original with that could make a speed difference without breaking the bank?

Another area the computer falls down on is the GPU with some pretty poor benchmarks, are there any suggestions here?

I've looked at overclocking both of the above and used the MSI Afterburner and the Intel Overclocking Utility, bur for some reason neither programs will do anything, all options are greyed out (BIOS locked?)

Any help here would be gratefully welcomed.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Boy, that's a blast from the past. :) The highest end processor they shipped with the Aspire Z5771 was an Intel Core i7-3770S. That's a quad core 3.1GHz with the same 65W TDP as your G620. Unfortunately they used two different motherboards, and the early ones don't support the 3rd gen processors. Which BIOS version are you running? A P01, P03 or P11? IIRC they shipped with Windows 7 and didn't support a UEFI boot except with the P11 BIOS. If you have that MB then you can put some of the newer GPUs in, if P01 or P03 then the GT520 or GT530 they shipped with is close to as new as you can go with a GPU.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jomac
    Jomac Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Thanks for the reply billsey. OK the info you wanted is :-

intel Pentium G620
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name Intel Pentium G620
    Code Name Sandy Bridge
    Package Socket 1155 LGA
    Technology 32nm
    Specification Intel Pentium CPU G620 @ 2.60GHz
    Family 6
    Extended Family 6
    Model A
    Extended Model 2A
    Stepping 7
    Revision D2
    Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX
    Virtualization Supported, Enabled
    Hyperthreading Not supported
    Fan Speed 1165 RPM
    Bus Speed 99.8 MHz
    Stock Core Speed 2600 MHz
    Stock Bus Speed 100 M:-1:

Motherboard
    Manufacturer Acer
    Model IPISB-AG (CPU 1)
    Version 1.03
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model Sandy Bridge
    Chipset Revision 09
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model H61
    Southbridge Revision B3
    System Temperature 53 °C

BIOS
    Brand American Megatrends Inc.
    Version P01-A0
    Date 26/08/201

Monitor
    Name AIO LCD on Intel HD Graphics
    Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
    Work Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
    State Enabled, Primary, Output devices support
    Monitor Width 1920
    Monitor Height 1080
    Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
    Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

Intel HD Graphics
    Manufacturer Intel
    Model HD Graphics
    Device ID 8086-0102
    Revision A
    Subvendor Acer Incorporated [ALI] (1025)
    Current Performance Level Level 0
    Current GPU Clock 847 MHz
    Technology 32 nm
    Driver version 9.17.10.4459
    Count of performance levels : 1
    Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
    GPU Clock 850 MHz

• billsey
    OK, so you are on a system that doesn't have UEFI support and all GPUs made in the last many years require UEFI to work (they pre-load some driver stuff during the EFI load portion of the BIOS). You could add a GPU if it's old enough, such as the GT530 some shipped with, and I believe you can go a little newer with something in the 700 series, but any newer than that just will not work. If you stay on the BIOS version you have you are limited to a 2nd gen CPU with the i7-2600 at the top end which would bump you from the current two cores, two threads to four cores, eight threads. That won't give a huge increase in speed for any one app but will make running multiple apps much smoother. The SSD upgrade you have already done is the biggest bang for the buck you had available. If your system supports the BIOS upgrade to the P03 versions (and you might have to test to verify it will work) then you can bump the CPU up into the 3rd gen versions including the i7-3770S. In general the 3rd gen will be somewhere around 10% faster than the 2nd gen at the same power level (65W TDP in your case).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,941 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    Jomac said:
    I have recently bought an Acer Aspire Z5771 computer which i'm very happy with. I have upgraded the RAM to 8Gb and fitted an SSD retaining the original 1Tb as drive F for general storage.

The CPU fitted is the Intel G620 2.6GHz Dual core and and I would like to speed things up in this area. What alternative CPU's can i replace the original with that could make a speed difference without breaking the bank?

Another area the computer falls down on is the GPU with some pretty poor benchmarks, are there any suggestions here?

I've looked at overclocking both of the above and used the MSI Afterburner and the Intel Overclocking Utility, bur for some reason neither programs will do anything, all options are greyed out (BIOS locked?)

Any help here would be gratefully welcomed.

TIA

Look Jomac as billsey is saying “Unfortunately they used two different motherboards, and the early ones don't support the 3rd gen processors” your OEM “Model IPISB-AG (CPU 1)” can only cater for the lower spec Intel Pentium G620 (2 core, 2 threads, 2.6GHz, 512 L2 cache, L3 cache 3MB and 65W TDP) and the 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge Socket 1150 CPU’s. I would upgrade your Intel Pentium G620 to the highest spec CPU of the Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge, Socket 1155 (4 core, 8 threads, 3.5GHz turbo 3.9GHz, L2 cache 1MB, L3 cache 8MB and 95 TDP) and also the other 2nd Gen that Acerfits to the other motherboard like the i3-2120 or the i5-2400S which will all fit and be compatible to your motherboard and are all good performers but and what I suggest is for you to get better CPU cooling fans, the i7-2700K top CPU will give you an increase of “Related Performance” of 215% above your OEM Pentium G620 performance which the i7-2799K is also 90% upgradeable and compatible to your OEM Intel Pentium G620T CPU as is your BIOS Version: P01.A0 titled “BIOS (No support Ivy MB)” which you can ONLY upgrade to the higher BIOS update of the Version P01.A1 titled “BIOS” ONLY!

Note: all the other BIOS updates are not suitable for your Sandy Bridge CPU, for example the Version P03.A1 titled “BIOS (Support Ivy MB)” for your Aspire Z5771 is only for the Ivy Bridge motherboard (see below) and the CPU’s which caters for the Z5771’s Intel Core i5 3330S QC 2.8G 6M 65W and the Intel Core i7 3770S QC 3.1G 8M 65W ONLY, also the Z5771 came with a UEFI BIOS that the BIOS version P11.B0 titled “BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)” which you cant mod your MBR/Legacy BIOS like I could do on my V3-571G from MBR/Legacy toUEFI BIOS.

You can  also have a lookat your RAM and increase its speed, do a Crucial Memory Scan to see if you can upgrade to more speedy memory like the DDR3-1600MHz as the specified memory for the Z5771 is: RAM Dual-channel 1333 MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM support: Up to 4 GB per memory module Upgrade option with 2 DIMM slots.

In regards to your motherboard, the mobo that you listed as your OEM “Model IPISB-AG (CPU 1)” which has the Intel H61 chipset but Acer has not made this mobo compatible with the 3rd Gen Intel CPU’s as your Z5771's BIOS support for that motherboard is only up to the Version  P01.A1. The only Acer Z5771 mobo that supports both the Intel Pentium Dual-Core G620.G630, G640, i3-2120, i5-2400S, i5-3330S and the top of the range i7-3770S CPU is the “Mainboard aParis Intel H61 Realtek RTL8111E-VL - Acer Logo Proprietary W/O 1394 V1.0 LF w/ - MCR/USB3.0/SPIDF, for UMA and switchable VGA – Acer part#: MB.SHM0P.001” so your mobo can’t, as I've suggested above, upgrade to the Intel 2nd Gen Core i7-2700K as that is your only option ifyou don't want to get the other model that I've listed. 

• billsey
    edited August 2021
    The issue with putting in an i7-2700K is the higher TDP (95W vs. 65W). With the K model CPU you will need to revamp the cooling system to deal with the 50% higher heat load.