Max. thickness of heatsink that can be accommodated in Acer Nitro 5 AN515-31?

atonementatonement Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast
I am using a Silicon Power P34A80 M.2 NVMe SSD for over 2.5 years now and temps. have been problematic since the beginning. But it's much worse nowadays. In basic workloads, even in gaming it's fine but in case of sustained transfers even low bandwidth like over MTP which is limited to USB 2.0 it throttles hard after a few minutes or so. Reaches 80-85°C easily.
So I am thinking of investing in a heatsink. Those available on Aliexpress mention 2mm/4mm etc. thickness. Obviously the thicker ones would be better but I can't fathom how much the laptop can accommodate? Will even a 2mm thick heatsink fit?
Thanks.

FAQ & Answers

• atonementatonement Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast
    Anyone please? 
  • batmalinbatmalin Member Posts: 3,989 Guru
    edited July 29
    Usually it should have a heatsink mounted on the bottom cover, if not you can get a compatible  one and 2mm would be ok, but just in case put something 2mm thick on top of the ssd and check if it touches the cover.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

batmalin said:
    Usually it should have a heatsink mounted on the bottom cover, if not you can get a compatible  one and 2mm would be ok, but just in case put something 2mm thick on top of the ssd and check if it touches the cover.
    There's no heatsink or thermal pad or anything similar in the mobo for the SSD slot. Heck the M.2 screw wasn't included. To remove the back cover in order to check the space afforded I have to pay labour charges which are more than the cost of the heatsink! Hence was looking for any confirmation or otherwise. The garbage battery needs to replaced soon so I will try to check it at that time.
    Thanks.
    Well on my model AN515-43 there was only one attached to the cover and I have 2 M.2 slots. both screws were present thou. My HS is 1mm thick if that helps. BTW the cover is easy to remove and you can try for yourself.

batmalin said:
    Well on my model AN515-43 there was only one attached to the cover and I have 2 M.2 slots. both screws were present thou. My HS is 1mm thick if that helps. BTW the cover is easy to remove and you can try for yourself.
    I guess this particular model wasn't designed to handle a relatively high perf. SSD. Throttling is really bad despite being limited to only an x2 link. On Aliexpress min. thickness of the available HS  seems to 2mm. While trying to remove the back cover I get stuck around the USB ports and touchpad. Afraid to break off something. 
    In order to remove it you have to push the back side of the cover to free those clips first the rest is easy. Top side of the picture push to the bottom side ofthe pic.