Stuck on Acer logo Aspire E15 (E5-575-33BM

EtanD
EtanD Member Posts: 8 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
My wife has an Aspire E15 (E5-575-33BM).  It is stuck on the Acer logo with the small spinning dots.  
We tried the long "power off" method of holding in down. Tried resetting the battery with a pin. Nothing.
Any thoughts?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Press and hold power  button for about 5 seconds or till laptop shuts off. Unplug charger. Then redo the paper clip pinhole reset for 60 seconds this time. Then plug the charger back in and wait for the battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue. Then turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F2 key. The BIOS menu should appear. Press F9 to load BIOS defaults. Then press F10 to save these defaults and exit the BIOS menu. Windows may then start automatically. If  not, press and hold power button again till laptop shuts off. Then turn it back on again.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi EtanD,

Try to do power drain,

1. Shutdown the unit.
    2. Unplug the cables connected to the unit.
    3. At bottom of the unit there will be a small tiny pin hole with a battery symbol close to it. Take a pin or a paper clip insert into it you feels like pressing a button hold it for 20-30 seconds. ​

• EtanD
    Thanks. How long does it take from the orange light to the blue light?
  • JackE
    It could take several hours depending on the battery state. Be patient.

Jack E/NJ

• EtanD
    Ah. OK. I will leave it overnight and see what happens in the AM.  Thanks!
  • EtanD
    So, we followed all the steps, waited until the blue light, turned it on, pressed F2 to get the BIOS, pressed F9, and then F10, and then the machine started, and then...the same Acer screen and the spinning dots! And nothing loading. 
    Any ideas?
  • JackE
    Press and hold power button again till laptop shuts off. Then simply turn it back on again.

Jack E/NJ

• EtanD
    Now it's just a black screen. No Acer logo.
  • JackE
    Press and hold power button again till laptop shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear with two or three options.

Jack E/NJ

• EtanD
    Still nothing.  
  • Easwar
    Hi EtanD,

Is your unit battery has enough charge to run the system.
  • JackE
    edited July 2021
    Make sure you press and hold the power key long enough to shut the machine off, not just turn the screen off. Also press the FN+F6 toggle key combo to try to turn the screen on. Is it still plugged in with battery charge LED turned solid blue?

Jack E/NJ

• EtanD
    Yes it is still blue.  I tried the whole thing again, with the bios, etc.  Same result getting to the Acer logo and the spinning dots.  
    Tried the fn+f6 method and got a blank screen and not the Acer. 
    Super frustrating.  I appreciate your help.
  • JackE
    Could you post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab? Also on the BIOS Main tab, make sure both the F12 boot and D2D recovery options are enabled.

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    EtanD said:
    Yes it is still blue.  I tried the whole thing again, with the bios, etc.  Same result getting to the Acer logo and the spinning dots.  
    Tried the fn+f6 method and got a blank screen and not the Acer. 
    Super frustrating.  I appreciate your help.
    Hi,
    Give this a try, open the memory compartment and remove one memory module and try starting the laptop with only one memory module in the laptop, if that doesn't resolve the issue, follow the same method for the second memory module and see whether it fixes the problem.
  • EtanD
    Ok, here is the BIOS photo.  I did go to the main tab and enabled F12Boot menu--it was disabled.  
  • JackE
    Sorry no BIOS photo displayed. Did you try @brummyfan2 's suggestion of removing one RAM module at a time to see if it'll go beyond the stuck ACER logo and spinning dots?  That symptom also suggests a RAM module failure.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Hi EtanD,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password

4 Methods to Reset an Acer Laptop with Windows 7810 or Linux

3 Ways to Reset Windows 10 Computer to Factory Settings  Password Recovery
    3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. Recovery - 25
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​