Having network and bluetooth problems with Acer Swift 3 SF314-57G

Options
millylindus
millylindus Member Posts: 3 New User
I bought my Swift 3 about a year ago and I'm begging to have a couple of strange issues.
1) About once a fortnight, my laptop is unable to identify wifi networks and looking at my device manager, the 'Intel Wifi 6 AX201 160mHz' comes up with Error 43 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems'. The only thing that seems to fix it is rotating between network reset and uninstalling the Intel Wifi device via device manager and restarting the computer multiple times until after about an hour of trying when it finally starts working again. The drivers are entirely up to date and I can't figure out why it stops working so frequently or a faster way to fix it.

2) My laptop has suddenly decided that it is and always was incapable of bluetooth. As in, the bluetooth widget has disappeared and cannot be added back to the action center, in the bluetooth settings there is no option to turn it on but my previously used devices still appear and when I use the troubleshooter is simply says this device isn't compatible/capable of bluetooth function. 

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    So both of those issues are related to the same hardware, the Intel AX201 card. Check with Intel for a newer driver, I know they have versions they have released that are newer than the Acer or the Windows driver versions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • millylindus
    Options
    billsey said:
    So both of those issues are related to the same hardware, the Intel AX201 card. Check with Intel for a newer driver, I know they have versions they have released that are newer than the Acer or the Windows driver versions.
    I've updates this with the newest driver and it seems to have fixed the wifi issues but my laptop still isn't showing any bluetooth capability. It's just really weird
  • billsey
    Options
    It would be very unusual for the WiFi to work and the Bluetooth not with that card, but anything is possible. I'm guessing the Bluetooth issue is software instead of hardware but it might not be an obvious software issue. One possibility is a driver issue with the internal USB hub that garbles the initial read of the BT device descriptor, leading the system to think there's no BT installed, when it's really a USB issue. Does Device Manager show any errors or warnings, even unrelated to the BT devices?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • millylindus
    Options
    billsey said:
    It would be very unusual for the WiFi to work and the Bluetooth not with that card, but anything is possible. I'm guessing the Bluetooth issue is software instead of hardware but it might not be an obvious software issue. One possibility is a driver issue with the internal USB hub that garbles the initial read of the BT device descriptor, leading the system to think there's no BT installed, when it's really a USB issue. Does Device Manager show any errors or warnings, even unrelated to the BT devices?
    The Bluetooth section doesn't appear in my device manager anymore. This is honestly the strangest thing I've ever seen. It's like my laptop has dementia? Some days I'll check and bluetooth is there and working perfectly, but most days it's not there.
  • billsey
    Options
    Remember that Bluetooth sites behind an internal USB port. If that USB port isn't being recognized or is garbling everything that goes over it, the system won't see Bluetooth as even being installed. We've seen those types of symptoms fairly often over the last year or so, typically showing up right after a Windows update, but they seem to go away again after a while.