Boot mode P03-620

Options
Drkilljs
Drkilljs Member Posts: 3 New User
Hello! I have installed my personal Samsung Evo SSD to boot on this drive. It's recognized, no worries. 

But it's impossible to change the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy into the bios version R01-A2!
I have create a supervisor password, save and exit but still nothing. I disabled the secure boot, save and exit, still nothing.
How can change the boot mode? I need to boot on this drive for my work. Thank you for advance. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options
    That is correct, Legacy isn't used for any OS much newer than Windows 7 sp1, everything since then uses UEFI. As long as you are running any newer OS you can use UEFI. Most new machines don't even support Legacy mode.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Drkilljs said:
    Hello! I have installed my personal Samsung Evo SSD to boot on this drive. It's recognized, no worries. 

But it's impossible to change the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy into the bios version R01-A2!
    I have create a supervisor password, save and exit but still nothing. I disabled the secure boot, save and exit, still nothing.
    How can change the boot mode? I need to boot on this drive for my work. Thank you for advance. 

Just as an addition to what billsey has said, the option in your PO3-620 BIOS of Launch CSM which at default is (Never) and is explained as: This option the compatibility support module, a special module of UEFI, provides compatibility support for OS's that do not support UEFI.
    • Always: Enables UEFI CSM. 
    • Never: Disables UEFI CSM and supports UEFI BIOS boot process only. (Default)

CSM stands for Compatibility Support Module; it is a component of the UEFI that allows legacy BIOS compatibility. In simple words, the CSM makes legacy operating systems and options ROMs that do not support UEFI usable.

If your computer does not use the legacy operating system, the CSM option must be disabled by default, and you don’t have to enable it. For example, Windows XP does not support UEFI, but Windows 10 does, so if you have Windows XP, you will have to enable the CSM option to boot your system normally, and if you have Windows 10, you don’t have to enable the CSM option because it supports UEFI.

That’s the bottom line explanation of the CSM in the BIOS. If your OS is Windows 10 and its formatted in UEFI mode you will not be able to change the setting to MBR/Legacy you need your OS to be formatted in MBR/Legacy mode for your setting of CSM - Enables to work. If you want MBR/Legacy to work you need to format Windows 10 in MBR/Legacy when you do the install but, why would you want to do that? See this article alo "How to Disable UEFI and Enable Legacy/CSM Boot Support".

• billsey
    Options
    It is worth noting that you will likely have significant issues getting drivers for the hardware using an OS like Windows XP, Vista or 7. The manufacturers don't bother generating drivers for the obsolete operation systems...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Drkilljs
    Options
    Hello ! Thank you for your answer but I'm still blocked...
    Impossible to change the boot mode and boot on W10 on my SSD, I can't change the UEFI mode.

So, I decide to install a new Windows on the NVM (Windows Pro) but now, I'm blocked because I can't boot on my USB KEY !!!
    I can change the order on the boot menu to select the "Removable Device" but when I use F12 for the boot menu, only "windows boot manager" still available and finally booting on the W10 Familial.

What am I doing wrong ? It's the first time for me against a so difficult boot system or BIOS with so many restriction ! 

I just want to boot on my usb key. Period.
  • billsey
    Options
    You don't need to change the boot mode to boot from a valid USB install drive. Just go into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot (which lets you choose a different image than normal) and enable the F12 boot menu. Put the Windows 10 install flash drive in, boot and use F12 and there should be two drives listed. The normal one and the USB.
    How did you create the install flash drive? Did you use the Microsoft tool, Rufus or something else?
  • Drkilljs
    Options
    Thank you. The normal one is "Windows boot manager" and I have never seen my usb on this list.
    I have created this flash drive on Microsoft with Rufus yes. This USB key have worked perfectly on 3 others PC in last 3 month.
    For this PC and BIOS version, I can't do anything.
    Someone can try the same action with the same BIOS Version to confirm the difficulties ? How can get some help ? 1600€ for this PC and I can't use it properly !
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    try with the media creation tool, rufus can be a bit funky with some boot loaders, and the acer loader can be a bit of a diva, like when you boot into nix it just stops showing the boot menu! You may need to also inject the RST / VMD driver into your instalation media or turn it off (personally i would leave it on), 

You will know if you need to do this if when you get booted, no drive shows as selectable in the installer :)
  • billsey
    Options
    In Rufus make sure it's set to GPT instead of MBR and the boot menu should show two options.