Looking for more information about a specific Acer Aspire 5 laptop model

MsGarn
MsGarn Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi!

I have a question about a specific laptop. I was looking at this Acer Aspire 5 laptop: Model Name: A515-45-R386, Part Number: NX.A82AA.001. I don't know how to get more detailed information about the specs on this laptop. 

These are my questions:
1) What kind of screen does it have - is it an IPS panel?
2) How many nits of brightness does the screen have?
3) Is the battery able to be replaced?
4) How many GB of RAM is soldered, and is the RAM able to be upgraded beyond the 8GB included?
5) What is the speed of the RAM (in MHz)?
6) Is the webcam 720p?

I appreciate any help to answer these questions. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    MsGarn said:
    Hi!

I have a question about a specific laptop. I was looking at this Acer Aspire 5 laptop: Model Name: A515-45-R386, Part Number: NX.A82AA.001. I don't know how to get more detailed information about the specs on this laptop. 

These are my questions:
    1) What kind of screen does it have - is it an IPS panel?
    2) How many nits of brightness does the screen have?
    3) Is the battery able to be replaced?
    4) How many GB of RAM is soldered, and is the RAM able to be upgraded beyond the 8GB included?
    5) What is the speed of the RAM (in MHz)?
    6) Is the webcam 720p?

I appreciate any help to answer these questions. Thanks in advance!

These are the answers to your questions about the A515-45-R386:

1) Yes, it’s an IPS screen

2) Look ‘Nits’ is an old measurement value and laptop screens are not defined in that measurement value but and in today’s modern laptops and monitors they are measured in pixels and if you want their Nits, then they range from 200 to 600+ nits (and I don't know this laptops exact Nits value but it should be around the higher end of 550 to 600 Nits) as the A515-43's specs are: 

• Resolution: 1920X1080 (FHD) 1080 pixels, 
    • Class: 1 (ISO-9241), 
    • Glass: CrystalBrite™ / Glossy (Glare), 
    • Connector: 30 Pin eDP ? (bottom right).

3) Yes, the battery can be replaced but the laptop has to be disassembled for it to be replaced.

4) There is no RAM soldered onto the laptops motherboard, all the laptop memory is geberated by how much memory you put into the laptops DIMM Socket Number which Supports a Maximum Memory Size of 32GB total into the laptops 2 slots (2x 16GB max DDR4) with type DDR4 SO-DIMM 260 pin type memory.

• MsGarn
    MsGarn Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for your response, StevenGen.

In regards to your answer for question number 2, perhaps you're confusing nits (screen brightness) for NTSC (an outdated color gamut)? Laptop screens and monitors frequently define their brightness level in nits. I shopped for a monitor recently and each monitor I looked at had its brightness level listed in nits (even an Acer one). As someone who has been looking to buy a laptop for a while, I've found that it is rare for a laptop to have a display with greater than 300 nits in my budget range (I have not seen an Acer Aspire 5 with 550-600 nits in my budget range).

As for your answer to question number 4, I'm pretty sure there is RAM soldered to the motherboard - I just simply do not know in what configuration.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.