how to solve pc connection problem with ACER PM161Q Full HD 15.6" IPS Portable Monitor

Bertsboy
Bertsboy Member Posts: 4 New User
wanted to ask a question about this Acer portable monitor.

I thought the size and the look of this monitor were cute, so bought one from a high street chain.

I wanted to connect it to my 5 year old windows 8.1 desktop tower (which works perfectly). Have tried 3 leads without success - from the monitor a usbc, one with hdmi attached to the tower, one with vga attached to the tower, and one with usb-a attached to the tower. High street chain knew how old/what type of pc I had before I bought this monitor btw!

As there was no light on the monitor, I tried in each case, turning the monitor on and off, on and off & on, and while I can see the lights/power on my tower, keyboard and mouse are all on, absolutely nothing at all on the monitor. No light, no sound, nothing at all.

In desperation the shop have kindly accepted to take this monitor back and replace it with another 15.6" Acer 161q portable monitor.

but I have to know, are they compatible? Is there a known issue where this monitor will not work with my tower windows 8.1 pc using one of the 3 usbc connections, that the high street chain have not mentioned, or is it compatible but the right connections haven't been found yet? Have we been doing something wrong? What connections should work?

many thanks for your advice, the new one is due in a few days time and if its not compatible best to know now..

cheers everyone

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    It will only work with a USB-C on the computer side that either supports DP over USB-C or HDMI over USB-C. Your computer is old enough it likely doesn't have that support.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hbquikcomjamesl
    hbquikcomjamesl Member Posts: 4 New User
    You might, however, be able to find a converter (i.e., more than just a passive cable) that will make the computer and the monitor work together. But it might just as well end up being more trouble and cost than it's worth.
  • Bertsboy
    Bertsboy Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited July 2021
    thanks for your feedback I have sent the item back - the high street chain told me to contact Acer and Acer told me today it isn't compatible, so the high st chain are now going to refund me, and I have found a different older one with vga & hdmi sockets on it, and that one is now on its way. thank you so much for your responses, it's good to know now rather than accepting an identical replacement. But what a shame Acer don't make it crystal clear what it is (& isn't) compatible with, before you buy it, for me there was no indication of that whatsoever. Are you listening, Acer?!!!!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    I believe the monitor is marketed as a USB-C only portable monitor. My guess is they assume you know that video over USB-C is required to drive a monitor over USB-C... They could make it clearer in their marketing materials.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.