Does Ubuntu 20.04 or newer release support Swift X?

anivek
anivek Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited July 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
I would like to buy Swift X (5800U sku) to install Ubuntu. Any known hardware/compatibility issues with Ubuntu? Thanks!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Most of the Linux distributions have issues with the newest laptops, though they usually get it sorted within the first few months. I'd expect the same here... The basics should work right off the line, but specialized hardware like biometric devices might take a while to get supported.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • givenarc
    givenarc Member Posts: 1 New User
    Currently,

First, wifi and bluetooth module is not working.

Second, when you try to install nvidia-driver and reboot, the screen goes to black and stucked in booting.

Nvidia-driver issue can be solved by upgrade ubuntu kernel to 5.10 oem but wifi and bluetooth issue are not solved.

I tried to connect wifi by connecting wifi dongle on usb port, but this one doesn't work too.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Supprised the WiFi doesn't work, may be worth trying fedora to see if it's fixed in Kernel 5.13 :) 
  • billsey
    Yeah, WiFi needs to compiled into the kernel so it can be used early in the boot process. It looks like the module is an 802.11ax from Mediatek, MT7921LE. I'm betting it's just a little too new still.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ArrRafi
    ArrRafi Member Posts: 1 New User
    but I need a suggestion. I want to replace the wifi card with Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210. Will it work with ubuntu or manjaro perfectly?
  • billsey
    You will have to ask in the Linux forums. It's new enough they might not have it supported yet, Linux usually lags Windows by quite a bit in getting support for the latest hardware.
  • pistachio
    pistachio Member Posts: 1 New User
    The wifi card didn't wasn't recognized by Ubuntu 20.10 (5.11 kernel) on the Sift X. I believe the drivers were added in the 5.12 kernel. I am currently running Manjaro (5.13 kernel) and it's been working pretty well. There are a few hiccups still with the wifi card, but I hope they will be ironed out in future kernel releases. Occasionally the wifi doesn't want to connect. Sometimes restarting the NetworkManager daemon fixes it ($ sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service).
    I am dual booting with Windows (because I haven't gotten the Acer Care Center to work on Linux; not sure if its possible with WINE); perhaps that's the issue?
    I haven't tried Bluetooth yet.
    Just remember to disable Secure Boot. If that option is greyed out then you will need to add an administrator password in the UEFI/BIOS
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    If you come to re install, try leaving secure boot on, it "should" be supported by Ubuntu ^,^ MS paid for their keys to be included to allow peeps to use Ubuntu on their surface books :D fingers crossed for the BT!
  • billsey
    If you leave Secure Boot on you may have to add the Ubuntu .efi file to the trusted sources...