ConceptD CT300-51A Desktop Review

Options

A little bit of preamble – I purchased a ConceptD CT300-51A system as a replacement for another pre-built system; Corsair One. I had the Corsair One for three years before the processor failed, hence the need to look for a new system. 

Whilst Corsair may well have cornered the market on small form factor powerful desktop machines with the Corsair One range – it comes with a cost, both in terms of the price tag and the fact the system is built in such a way as to make upgrading it almost impossible. This is fine for a creator such as myself who is looking for a system that can handle high graphics work load and casual gaming – but not so good when a key component fails. In my case the I7-7700K processor failed completely and burnt out the graphics card with it. Left with a now very expensive doorstop I decided to look around for replacements. 

Acer is a company I have brought from before; my desktop monitor and laptop are from Acer. The laptop (a Predator PT515-51) has served me very well and very faithfully. I highly recommend it to people. With that in mind I had a look at the range of desktop machines Acer produced and found the new ConceptD line. I was intrigued; a high-end desktop that was built with creators and casual gamers in mind? A machine that was upgradable if my future needs changed. A machine that had everything I needed, and a little more to boot. 

Now, there is a good argument for buying a pre-built off the shelf desktop system. Not everyone has the time, the need, or the knowledge to build their own PC. Getting the right parts, considering liquid cooling v air cooling… Processors, memory, storage, motherboard… It becomes a separate task in itself. Hats off, however, to those that can and do build their own PCs. If you have the time, knowledge and space to do it – go for it. But for those of us that want to hit the ground running… A prebuilt off the shelf system can be more than you need or want. 

The ConceptD comes in many different flavours with I5, I7 and I9 processors, different memory configurations, different levels of storage, Windows 10 Home or Pro, and a Nvidia RTX graphics card to boot. I went for a mid-level system, with a I7-10700 processor, 16gb of ram, 1tb NvME SSD, 1tb HDD and an RTX 3070. The low end of the mid-range. Other configurations are available. 

First impressions: the packaging was superb. Well thought out, well crafted, and 100% recyclable and made from recycled materials. Big thumbs up to Acer on that one. The box and contents were not too hefty, and easy to move for a lightweight like me. Once opened you are presented with another small box that contains the power cable, and then after a layer of protective packaging… The ConceptD. 

The machine screams minimalist with it’s white and black colours. The wood affect top gives the PC a sublime feel, the image of green fields and opened space. Too bad that it’s going on my desk, because my desk isn’t that large. It looks nice sitting next to the Acer Predator Monitor I have, but I feel that I am doing the ConceptD a disservice by not giving it more space. 

*Caveat, for the purpose of airflow I have made sure that there is enough space around it. 

Back IO is sufficient for a user like myself – four ports for the graphics card, LAN, Speakers – 2 USB 2 ports, 4 USB 3 ports. Front IO, 1 USB 3 port, I USB C port a memory card reader. Sockets for headphones and microphone and a power button. 

Before plugging everything in and switching on, I opened up the machine and replaced the HDD with a 4tb one that had copies of all my work on it. With that change made, and the machine sealed up again and everything plugged back in – time to power up. 

You get a little “beep” from the ConceptD as it starts up, and it boots rather quickly into Windows 10 Pro. Setting things up was the normal Windows experience. There were no hitches or problems. Bloatware? Nope. The ConceptD comes with an OS, Norton trial and two Acer programs to help your system. A very pleasant surprise. It took me a day to set up and get back up and running. 

Acer claim a 40db sound level from the internal cooling fans, and to be honest when doing something like this – you don’t hear them. Gaming however, things do ramp up. Not to an exceptional level, but enough that you notice. The case doesn’t feel overly warm to touch when put under load, and the thermals are well within range for a system of this type. The system runs smoothly and has been well built and optimised for Windows.

After a few days of use, it feels “comfortable.” It has a nice aesthetic, and the build quality feels solid. It has the look and feel of a very premium machine, and the specs to match. 

The ConceptD is a good all round machine. It feels very much like it was aimed at creators like myself, and that’s a good thing. Yes, it can handle the big games when you want to do something different. But 3D rendering, Graphics processing, Film editing, music… it handles those very well. 

Cinebench and CrystalDisk give decent scores – of course it depends on your flavour of ConceptD. Mine get’s decent scores, and I went for a low-end machine in the mid-range. 

At the end of the day these are just my personal thoughts. I’m enjoying using the ConceptD, and if it means anything I recommend it.

Answers

• MadHatch
    MadHatch Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Additional: The ConceptD CT300-51A is able to run the Windows 11 preview without problems
  • DenRo
    DenRo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    How did you open up the machine?
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited July 2022
    Options
    MadHatch

I understand you say - "At the end of the day these are just my personal thoughts. I’m enjoying using the ConceptD, and if it means anything I recommend it"

Thanks for the review.     If you have any issues on the computer you are always welcome to reach us. 

If your computer is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.     Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  click on "contact support".  Scroll down.  You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

If it is out of warranty, please contact local store or

Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  Click on  "Repair My Acer" - Request to have your Acer product repaired.   There will be charges for repair. 

Additional info to contact Acer Store:  Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.   You can buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories.  Alternatively,  on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.   For the parts which are not available on Acer store, you have to contact local store.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★