Sudden Shutdown, Kernel Power Critical Error, Acer Aspire V17 Nitro (Vn7-792g)

WestonB
WestonB Member Posts: 10 New User
Hello,

I have some issues with my laptop. Recently, it suddenly shuts off as if the power was cut, or a hard shutdown. No freeze, no blue screen, just "poof" off it goes. This only occurs during heavy loads, such as games or rendering. I haven’t yet had an error during normal use but I fear I might one day.

Windows Event Viewer defines these crashes as:

Kernel Power, Event ID 41, Task Category 63

Things I’ve done to try and fix it:

• Factory reset + windows reinstall
  • Disable CPU turbo boost to lower CPU temps (now stays at 60-70C at heavy loads, didn't fix it)
  • Cleaned the fans
  • Used a different power outlet

Things that could be relevant

• Sometimes I can run my computer at heavy loads for days/weeks without issue. Others it crashes after 5 minutes 
  • The more it has crashed in recent days, the more likely it is to keep crashing at a faster rate.
  • I can replicate the error running FurMark, a GPU stress test tool
  • GPU at load runs in the 90C range at max capacity 
  • Computer sometimes switches to battery power even when cord is plugged in
    • Need to separate and rejoin the two components of the power cord for the laptop to start charging again
    • This issue has appeared momentarily before a Kernel Power error in the past, but most times it doesn’t. Has been somewhat more frequent in recent days however. 
    • Battery holds a charge, and is functional when unplugged
  • Blue liquid from charge port, same color as motherboard
  • Some years ago I upgraded the RAM with a second 8gb stick

Please let me know what may be my options to fix this machine.

Thank you,

Answers

• First, try resetting the battery and check if the problem reoccurs:
    Second, check the temperatures with the hwmonitor program.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WestonB
    Sorry, I don't think mine has a button. It certainly has the pinhole for one, but I don't feel a button. All I feel is something solid and not moveable. Still continued on with the video's recommendations just incase but no dice sadly.

Thanks for the suggestion though
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    edited July 2021
    Hi WestonB,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.

5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • WestonB
    Easwar said:
    Hi WestonB,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.

5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
    Sorry, but all my drivers are up to date. One for the AC adapter, and one for the battery. Both up to date. 

Thank you for trying
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,899 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    WestonB said:
    Hello,

I have some issues with my laptop. Recently, it suddenly shuts off as if the power was cut, or a hard shutdown. No freeze, no blue screen, just "poof" off it goes. This only occurs during heavy loads, such as games or rendering. I haven’t yet had an error during normal use but I fear I might one day.

• Disable CPU turbo boost to lower CPU temps (now stays at 60-70C at heavy loads, didn't fix it)
    • Cleaned the fans

• Sometimes I can run my computer at heavy loads for days/weeks without issue. Others it crashes after 5 minutes 
    • The more it has crashed in recent days, the more likely it is to keep crashing at a faster rate.
      • Need to separate and rejoin the two components of the power cord for the laptop to start charging again
      • This issue has appeared momentarily before a Kernel Power error in the past, but most times it doesn’t. Has been somewhat more frequent in recent days however. 

Thank you,

First, those symptoms and shut downs could be caused by many factors such as, overheating of the CPU/GPU and the fans when gaming and doing heavy loads as the cooling does not dissipate heat properly and its not functioning properly, it could also be the paste degrading and/or drying out, your laptop vents are not clean and the state of your adaptor and battery could be fauty. Check all these components as and if all these are not functioning 100% and/or maintained properly it could be where your problem(s) are, also it could be an internal power related circuitry issue, which needs an experienced technician with the right tools for him to diagnose and change e.g. mosfet, diodes, rails etc etc that have burned out and/or are shortening out and are causing these power related turn off issues and problems. Also and if your laptop is the Aspire VN7-792G? Then it has a “Battery reset pinhole” see below:

Also and these sorts of power shut down issues especially when you are playing games and putting your laptop under heavy loads is because your VN7-792G laptop can't handle the excessive power demands for these gaming and heavy loads that you are are putting your laptop to, btw, its happened to me many times with under spec laptops like your Aspire VN7-792G's with its i7-6700HQ CPU and its GTX960M GPU era (also check and install the new drivers for the GTX960M) as this laptop is not a new laptop and the same happened to me, as they overheated to tremendous temps and just turned off. Don’t forget that your VN7-792G is not a hard core gaming (with its I7-6700HQ CPU and its GTX960M GPU) type laptop. Also, these power problems are due to your PSU/Baterry also as that is why and as you say “Recently, it suddenly shuts off as if the power was cut, or a hard shutdown. No freeze, no blue screen, just "poof" off it goes

Also, what PSU/Battery do you have? Is it OEM and the original? Because if it is, then that could be you problem as they could be faulty as the Aspire VN7-792G's is getting old and could be faulty? These are the Acer OEM adaptors for all the Aspire VN7-792G and their part numbers:

Check all these components and do all these maintenance aspects to your laptop as your problem(s) don't just happen for nothing. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

• WestonB
    StevenGen said:
    WestonB said:
    Hello,

• Cleaned the fans

Thank you,

First, those symptoms and shut downs could be caused by many factors such as, overheating of the CPU/GPU and the fans when gaming and doing heavy loads as the cooling does not dissipate heat properly and its not functioning properly, it could also be the paste degrading and/or drying out, your laptop vents are not clean and the state of your adaptor and battery could be fauty. Check all these components as and if all these are not functioning 100% and/or maintained properly it could be where your problem(s) are, also it could be an internal power related circuitry issue, which needs an experienced technician with the right tools for him to diagnose and change e.g. mosfet, diodes, rails etc etc that have burned out and/or are shortening out and are causing these power related turn off issues and problems. Also and if your laptop is the Aspire VN7-792G? Then it has a “Battery reset pinhole” see below:

Also and these sorts of power shut down issues especially when you are playing games and putting your laptop under heavy loads is because your VN7-792G laptop can't handle the excessive power demands for these gaming and heavy loads that you are are putting your laptop to, btw, its happened to me many times with under spec laptops like your Aspire VN7-792G's with its i7-6700HQ CPU and its GTX960M GPU era (also check and install the new drivers for the GTX960M) as this laptop is not a new laptop and the same happened to me, as they overheated to tremendous temps and just turned off. Don’t forget that your VN7-792G is not a hard core gaming (with its I7-6700HQ CPU and its GTX960M GPU) type laptop. Also, these power problems are due to your PSU/Baterry also as that is why and as you say “Recently, it suddenly shuts off as if the power was cut, or a hard shutdown. No freeze, no blue screen, just "poof" off it goes

Also, what PSU/Battery do you have? Is it OEM and the original? Because if it is, then that could be you problem as they could be faulty as the Aspire VN7-792G's is getting old and could be faulty? These are the Acer OEM adaptors for all the Aspire VN7-792G and their part numbers:

Check all these components and do all these maintenance aspects to your laptop as your problem(s) don't just happen for nothing. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Thanks, I had suspicions of power being the culprit but I could never verify that. I hoped that this issue could have been resolved without tossing money at it and hoping for the best, but it seems that might not be an option. 

I will look into these further, but I am still open to other suggestions that don't involve money or at least, purchases that I don't know will fix it.
  • WestonB
    Also, forgot to mention that everything is factory parts, with the exception of one added 8gb RAM stick since 3 or 4 years ago

Original screen, fans, battery, charger, etc...
  • WestonB
    Update: managed to get a shutoff during pure battery power, and pure AC power with battery removed. I fear that the culprit may be something not easily replaced like the motherboard. I've made the decision that it's not worth fixing.

Not the outcome I wanted, but this seems like that's that.
  • Does your model have these two buttons?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WestonB
    Does your model have these two buttons?

Yes, I have them
  • Can you upload some pictures of these buttons? It is very likely that the KBC_PWRBTN button is not being pressed correctly.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WestonB
    Can you upload some pictures of these buttons? It is very likely that the KBC_PWRBTN button is not being pressed correctly.
    Had taken some photos from previous teardowns. Hope these help 

• Try putting a few layers of electrical tape over the button:
    Notebook em boot loop aps update do Windows como resolver - Pgina 2   Acer Community

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WestonB
    I'll look into it when I got a chance. Still need to use the computer and I want to make sure I can spare the time or another system to cover bases if something goes wrong. 

May I also ask how keeping this button pressed could fix the problem?
  • This button appears to be the power-off button.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WestonB
    This button appears to be the power-off button.
    Apologies for being skeptical, but how does keeping down the power button resolve this issue? 

Not knowledgeable at computer hardware and modules, but keeping a power-off button pressed down to keep the computer on seems a bit counterintuitive.

I appreciate your help so far, but I want to make sure that what I do doesn't damage my system.
  • This button is probably the power cut button. when the button is not being pressed correctly, the computer does not turn on or experiences unexpected shutdowns.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer