Acer Spin3 Laptop (SP314-54N-50W3) - Vertical Lines when Powering On Device

Options
PC2844
PC2844 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hello Acer Community,

Recently, an issue started with our Acer Spin 3 Laptop (SP314-54N-50W3). When initially powering on the laptop, sometimes (not all the time), there are 15 vertical lines that flicker quickly on the screen and then disappear before Windows even boots, and are never seen again until the next time the device is powered back on. So, definitely not disrupting normal use, but are trying to determine if this should be checked out while we still have a warranty, or does it seem like it's probably okay?

Thanks!

A

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yours doesn't have a discrete GPU, so it's the Intel Iris Plus graphics drivers. I know that Intel has been releasing new drivers for that fairly often, so if you're still on the Acer version that Intel version might have several fixes... Mine is driver version 30.0.100.9684.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi PC2844,

Try to do power drain,

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug the charger. 
    3. At the bottom there will be a tiny pin hole with battery sign close to it take a pin or paper clip and insert into it hold that button for 20-30 seconds. Then turn ON the unit and check.​

• PC2844

Tinkerer

Options
    @Easwar - Thanks for that! I'll try it out and update here with the results.
  • Easwar
    Options
    Hi PC2844.

Yes, plz let's see.
  • billsey
    Options
    Do the lines seem to match the normal Acer splash screen, or are they in addition to the splash screen? It might just be that the splash image is corrupted...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PC2844

Tinkerer

edited July 2021
    Options
    @billsey - That's a good question. The lines flicker immediately upon powering on the device (before the Acer splash screen appears). The splash screen appears fine, actually. Curiously, these lines do not occur each time the device is powered on. I plan to try the solution @Easwar offered above later today. 
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, that sounds like it's an issue with initializing the GPU near the start of POST. When you first hit the power button the BIOS initializes the processor, then make sure memory is working somewhat, the initializes the GPU to allow it to start displaying POST info and errors on screen. During that time errors are given via beep codes, but once the graphics is working it switches to displayed errors. The first thing it's supposed to display is the splash screen, but it sounds like for some reason it's showing the garbage, followed by the splash screen. It could be a corrupted BIOS or something in the video circuit acting up. If we can pin it down more, since it only happens sometimes, we can maybe decide the best next step.
  • PC2844

Tinkerer

Options
    @billsey and @Easwar - I just tried Easwar's suggestion above, powered it on and the issue still occurred. I must correct an earlier statement though. The Acer splash screen appears first, then disappears, then the lines flicker for a second, then Windows resumes booting and no more lines. So, to clarify, the lines appear after (not before as I previously stated) the Acer splash screen. Any other thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for all your help!
  • PC2844

Tinkerer

Options
    But, for example, while it happened during this last power on. I just performed a Windows Update that was needed. At 30% it reboots, but after the Acer screen, the lines did not appear before booting back into Windows.
  • Easwar
    Options
    Hi PC2844,

Are you getting the same lines in BIOS page.
  • PC2844

Tinkerer

edited July 2021
    Options
    Hi, @Easwar. Just tested this for you. The BIOS screen looks fine. No lines at all there. 
  • Easwar
    Options
    Hi PC2844,

I think it's not a hardware issue. Can you add the home screen pic in this post.
  • PC2844

Tinkerer

Options
    @Easwar - I see. Could you clarify what you mean by the home screen pic? I apologize that I'm not sure what that is. Thanks!
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, if it's happening after the Acer splash screen, but before the juggling balls it's the Windows drivers getting initialized. There might be a corruption in the drivers that only affects initializing. Try to remove the drivers and reinstall after a reboot to see if they clear up.
  • PC2844

Tinkerer

Options
    @billsey - Interesting, thank you. So, if it's after the Acer Splash screen, but before the juggling balls, then it does not seem indicative of any type of hardware failure and is more driver-related? Could you clarify on which drivers would need to be removed and reinstalled? Thanks!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yours doesn't have a discrete GPU, so it's the Intel Iris Plus graphics drivers. I know that Intel has been releasing new drivers for that fairly often, so if you're still on the Acer version that Intel version might have several fixes... Mine is driver version 30.0.100.9684.
  • PC2844

Tinkerer

Options
    @billsey - Perfect, thanks! I was able to download and install that driver today, so we'll keep an eye on it now and see if it did the trick. I'll report back in either case. Thanks again for now!
  • Easwar
    Options
    Hi PC2844,

Yes, Plz update us once issue is fixed.
  • PC2844

Tinkerer

Options
    @Easwar and @billsey - Update: So far, so good. We've powered on the laptop on 2 separate occasions and no lines (since installing the updated Intel Iris Plus graphics. This might have done the trick, but will give another 2 days of monitoring before next update and marking this thread as answered. Thanks!
  • billsey
    Options
    Good news! Let us know when you are comfortable that it's sorted.
  • PC2844

Tinkerer

Options
    @billsey - Success! The lines no longer appear when powering on the laptop. Your suggestion above to install the latest Intel Iris Plus graphics drivers is the solution here and I've marked that post as the Accepted Solution. Thanks again (and to @Easwar) for all your help with this. We can consider this closed!