What should match for RAM upgrade in Swift 3 SF315-52G?

Velzares
Velzares Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited July 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello!
My laptop Swift 3 SF315-52G has 8Gb DDR4, and according to Task Manager, Performances, it works at 2400 MHz, using 1 slot over 4, SODIMM factor. Someway, I think it is Kingston. But I don't know its latency CL, I just guess it is 19. So here are my questions por upgrading, since I need more RAM for music production using samples:
1) This laptop would accept 2666 MHz or more, but it will limited by the current 24000?
2) It would be better 2400 MHz but lower latency CL, namely 16, and so I will really get more speed?
3) Should I buy Kingston again, or may I choose Crucial or some other one without problem?
4) This laptop do accepts a 16Gb stick (instead of 8Gb), for upgrading so to 24Gb in total? And perhaps that would be more important than MHz or latency, even for more speed (and not only storage)?
May be someone could give me some link for verifying specs of this model (users manual says nothing about that...).
Thank you very much in advance for any contribution!!

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,681 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    There are so many different things that affect speed that it's tough to answer. If you add a 16GB module to the current setup it should give you 24GB overall, but it might not switch to dual channel mode because the sticks are different sizes. You will have the advantage of the extra memory which is needed for music production much more than for the typical playback. Are you currently running on a HDD or SSD? Overall system performance gets a bigger boost from a HDD->SSD upgrade than anything else. Normally memory is the second upgrade we suggest, and most often it's not really needed. In your specific application memory is a big factor though because you really don't want portions of the music sample to swap out to the drive...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    It accepts up to 2666 MHz memory, in 2GB, 4GB, 8GB or 16GB modules. the memory will run at the lower speed if you have modules that don't match speed. So, replace the existing module or modules with 2666 and pair them up for the amount of memory you need. When installed as pairs you get full advantage of dual channel mode, and with both at 2666 the memory will be clocked at 2666. You have two SO-DIMM sockets, so you max out at 32GB of memory. Here's a picture of the MB showing the modules (ignore the circled screws, those are for replacing the thermal pipe).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Velzares

Tinkerer

Thank you Billsey, the first question is clear. And thanks for the image too! As for your suggestion, however, do you mean that I will get a better performance spending the same (or very similar) money to change the existing module at 2400 MHz, buying 2 of 8Gb at 2666, instead of keeping the existing module and adding one of 16Gb at 2400? My budget is limited (... far from getting 32Gb). Have you any info or suggestions about the mix of 8Gb and 16Gb? That should work in my laptop?
  • billsey
    Yes, if you buy a 2666 module and add it to the current 2400 module, they will both run at 2400. If you also replace the existing 2400 with a 2666 they will run at 2666, about a 10% improvement. Your wallet will help you decide. :)
  • Velzares

Tinkerer

Ok, but I if I keep all at 2400, namely the current 8Gb module plus a 16Gb new one (I'm not sure this would work in my laptop), spending the same money, don't you think the improvement will be still more important? Perhaps I should choose between capacity or speed... Thank you anyway for your attention and time!!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    There are so many different things that affect speed that it's tough to answer. If you add a 16GB module to the current setup it should give you 24GB overall, but it might not switch to dual channel mode because the sticks are different sizes. You will have the advantage of the extra memory which is needed for music production much more than for the typical playback. Are you currently running on a HDD or SSD? Overall system performance gets a bigger boost from a HDD->SSD upgrade than anything else. Normally memory is the second upgrade we suggest, and most often it's not really needed. In your specific application memory is a big factor though because you really don't want portions of the music sample to swap out to the drive...
  • Velzares

Tinkerer

Thanks again, Billsey. My laptop came with a 256Gb SSD, and for VSTi I have an external 1T HDD. That's not ideal, so I'll consider your suggestion. Apart from that, Mhz vs. CL or even vs. dual channel mode may make no great differences, depending on my real use. Most of my questions are then on details that are not easy to answer, I agree. On my use, I will search more on music forums. Anyway, you gave me interesting tips and your last answer is the best one I can expect. Thank you very much!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Velzares said:
    Thanks again, Billsey. My laptop came with a 256Gb SSD, and for VSTi I have an external 1T HDD. That's not ideal, so I'll consider your suggestion. Apart from that, Mhz vs. CL or even vs. dual channel mode may make no great differences, depending on my real use. Most of my questions are then on details that are not easy to answer, I agree. On my use, I will search more on music forums. Anyway, you gave me interesting tips and your last answer is the best one I can expect. Thank you very much!

Velzares and just as an addtion to what "billsey" has given you and its this, here is what Acer fits OEM to its Swift 3 SF315-52G range of laptops as per the SM for it to perform at its best. Here is the list of applicable memory which is the DDR4-2666MHz and the 2.5” SATA-3 at "Fast data transfer rate (Gbits/s, max) of 6.0 for its spinner HDD’s or the same for its 2.5” SSD (that can also be fitted) and what it caters for its M.2 SSD drives, which are of PCIe Gen-3 x4 or SATA-3 type M.2 drives as it takes both. Alos update the BIOS to its last version 1.08 date: 2019/03/29 title "Updates ME firmware version and enhances BIOS Capsule Update function" to make your laptop function the best but always be careful and remember that "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution".

Keep to these specs and you can’t go wrong for whatever you intend to use your Swift 3 SF315-52G for. Except and if the Swift 3 SF315-52G max upgrade components limit you from using this laptop for higher demanding applications, it’s a simple formula that you can determine very easily yourself from the software that you are going to use. 

Note: the max 16GB DDR4 memory is into 2x slots at 2x 8GB each max.

RAM types suitable

M.2 SSD suitable 

• Velzares

Tinkerer

StevenGen, many thanks for your post, and sorry for this retard: after a long pause (full time work) I’m back on this subject and in this community.

I don’t understand several technical details and I’m not sure of being able of upgrading my BIOS. Just one remark: the maximum possible RAM in my model is not 16 but 32 Gb overall, for sure.

Still a single question: Could you tell me, please, where may I get the document/s with all those specs? I didn’t find anything like that even here, in support of this official site, but such detailed tables are frequent in posts on the same or different models! So, where does people find all that?

Thank you in advance!
  • billsey
    edited August 2021
    The Service Guide that he clipped those images from is not publicly available. We "Acer Aces" have permission to post snippets from them.
  • Velzares

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    The Service Guide that he clipped those images from is not publicly available. We "Acer Aces" have permission to post snippets from them.
    Thanks,Billsey. It's some strange but some "logic"... At least I got the answer for stopping further search!