Acer Aspire 7 A715-41G shutdown while gaming my FPS will drop down to 10-15fps

AndyN
AndyN Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 16 in Aspire Laptops
So I've bought this laptop since november 2020 and suddenly now suddenly while gaming I noticed that sometimes my FPS will drop down to 10-15fps, I checked the temp with HWMonitor and I see that during the fps drops my temp spike up over 100 celsius, it will keep doing that for about 2 hours and the laptop will shut itself down.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• Tachi13
    Tachi13 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @AndyN

That's hot, no wonder why the laptop shutsdown. Try resetting the battery and the BIOS. Check your computer's bottom, there should be a small hole that allows you to reset the battery, hold it for 10 seconds using pin or a paperclip. You should turn off the computer and unplug your charger for that. 

Tap F2 repeatedly on boot to land on the BIOS utility setup, go to Exit and load default, and then save and exit. or try the F9 anywhere to load defaults, then press F10 to save changes and exit. perform a clean boot. If none of these resolve the issue and no developments, it could be the thermal paste, please check with acer support or local tech if your unit is out of warranty.
    Please click on "Yes" if you find this answer helpful. :):)

Answers

• Tachi13
    Answer ✓
    @AndyN

That's hot, no wonder why the laptop shutsdown. Try resetting the battery and the BIOS. Check your computer's bottom, there should be a small hole that allows you to reset the battery, hold it for 10 seconds using pin or a paperclip. You should turn off the computer and unplug your charger for that. 

Tap F2 repeatedly on boot to land on the BIOS utility setup, go to Exit and load default, and then save and exit. or try the F9 anywhere to load defaults, then press F10 to save changes and exit. perform a clean boot. If none of these resolve the issue and no developments, it could be the thermal paste, please check with acer support or local tech if your unit is out of warranty.
  • AndyN

Tinkerer

I have to ask though, what's the normal temperature while gaming ?
  • AndyN

Tinkerer

Tachi13 said:
    @AndyN

So I did all the step and sadly not only it didn't work but I also encountered something new, I was working in ubuntu and suddenly my laptop also shutdown the same way I was gaming, and I did change my thermal paste a month ago so if you guys have any ideas please let me know.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi AndyN,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.

5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • AndyN

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi AndyN,

# Try to update the battery driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option battery.
    4. Under the title battery.

5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title battery.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​

It said the best driver for your device are already installed
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi AndyN,

Normally temp is 10 - 35 degrees and aspire is not a gamming laptop. I suggest you to connect the charger while playing games. 
  • Tachi13
    edited July 2021
    AndyN said:
    The Normal Temperature while gaming must be around 60~75 degrees, depends upon the game. Heavy games does a lot of work, so the heat can be from 75 to 85 ~ 90 in that case, it is normal as well. Liquid cooled computers have a temperature of 70 when they're gaming, air cooled units has less effect so the temp can go to 85+ in most cases. Considering poor ventilation, the fan not spinning properly, well, the CPU should give information to the fan that it's time to spin faster but if that happens but still temp is not getting lower, you have to check with then make sure you allow the hot air to escape from the vent. Aspire 7 comes under gaming Aspire series, it can with stand temps around 95 degrees, it's normal till that, but the computer would shutdown if it's too much. It may be the thermal paste or sensors, or fan.  You can try drivers reinstallation for battery, simple, Device manager > Battery > uninstall device > Uninstall. Then restart the computer by Start menu > Power > restart, see if that works as well, even though this would fix charging issues and battery over heating or computer shuts down if charger is unplugged kind of issues.  As one last hope, try resetting the unit, if overheat is because of software, reset would fix it. If that doesn't, Andy, it might be hardware issue. Please consider diagnostics through repair, we can only do so much in terms of software and settings. 
  • AndyN

Tinkerer

Tachi13 said:
    AndyN said:
    The Normal Temperature while gaming must be around 60~75 degrees, depends upon the game. Heavy games does a lot of work, so the heat can be from 75 to 85 ~ 90 in that case, it is normal as well. Liquid cooled computers have a temperature of 70 when they're gaming, air cooled units has less effect so the temp can go to 85+ in most cases. Considering poor ventilation, the fan not spinning properly, well, the CPU should give information to the fan that it's time to spin faster but if that happens but still temp is not getting lower, you have to check with then make sure you allow the hot air to escape from the vent. Aspire 7 comes under gaming Aspire series, it can with stand temps around 95 degrees, it's normal till that, but the computer would shutdown if it's too much. It may be the thermal paste or sensors, or fan.  You can try drivers reinstallation for battery, simple, Device manager > Battery > uninstall device > Uninstall. Then restart the computer by Start menu > Power > restart, see if that works as well, even though this would fix charging issues and battery over heating or computer shuts down if charger is unplugged kind of issues.  As one last hope, try resetting the unit, if overheat is because of software, reset would fix it. If that doesn't, Andy, it might be hardware issue. Please consider diagnostics through repair, we can only do so much in terms of software and settings. 
    yeah, usually it will stay stable at 80-90 degrees, but every 5 minutes it will spike up over 95 and overtime it will get over 100 which will result in a shutdown, I guess I should bring it to repair. Thank you for the help.

• Abhixpert
    Abhixpert Member Posts: 1 New User

Did you find any fix? cuz I'm having the same model and facing the same issue