Brother printer no longer communicating with desktop Aspire XC-605

Charyl
Charyl Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I have the Aspire XC-605 desktop and Brother HL-3140CW color laser printer. My printer after 2 years suddenly started out as always offline. I uninstalled and during re-installation my desktop computer no longer will recognize the computer to complete re-install. Just to make sure I even purchased new toner and new USB cord and still nothing. Of course Brother says to contact Acer because it's not the printer and Acer says I am no longer under support. I REALLY hope someone can help me figure this out.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• Charyl

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Well in case anyone else in the future has the same problem I thought I would post the answer to what the problem was.

First during all this I found out that two of my usb ports stopped working and one of those was the one plugged into the printer.
    The problem was the printer port. It wasn't working properly. But with help from Brother I managed to set it up for wireless and can get a few more years out of it before I have to purchase another.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,430 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Go to Device Manager and right click on your printer. What does the properties say ? Also there should be a troubleshoot choice when you right click. Good Luck. I'm assuming that you downloaad the latest driver and installed. 
  • Charyl

Tinkerer

Now it says nothing about the printer I need. I had uninstalled it to see if I can reinstall with better luck but now I can't even reinstall it. The computer is not recognizing it as mentioned previously. All it shows is Other devices with a question mark with something about MAP MAS-IOS, Wireless iAP, Wireless iAP v2 and under Printer instead of saying Printer it says Print queues and below it is Fax, Microsoft Print to PDF, Microsoft XPS Document Writer, OneNote, OneNote (Desktop), OneNote for Windows 10, Root Print Queue. Nothing about Brother and Print queues instead of Printers. 
  • Larryodie
    Do you have the Brother installion disc that came with it, in most countries ? 
    https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl3140cw_us_eu&faqid=faq00100484_000#FollowInst
  • Charyl

Tinkerer

No, it didn't come with one. All software is download on Brother website.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    My guess is the Brother is on a different IP address than it was before. Check in your router to see if you have the option to set a reserved address for it. That will make it d=so in the future it's doesn't end up at a different address. Then go through the whole 'install a new printer' thing with the Brother software and it'll come in as a new printer.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Charyl,

Plz contact printer tech support. 
  • Charyl

Tinkerer

I don't know anything about the ip address thing your talking about.

I did contact them on a installation disc and they no longer offer those for this model. I will see later if I can burn the software to disc. Not sure if I remember how but I will try

I have and they say contact computer tech support and of course Acer no longer supports my desktop.
  • Larryodie
    Why aren your burning the software to disc ?  Just follwow the instructions as on this link.
     https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl3140cw_us_eu&os=10013

Are you using the printer cable or trying to set it up in wireless mode ? 
  • Charyl

Tinkerer

Because Brother doesn't come with an installation disc.
  • Larryodie
    Download: Then click on it.
    But follow the instructions as:: Notes:
    • The instructions may vary depending on the Windows OS version.
    • If the drivers are already installed into your computer, uninstall them first before you install the new driver.
      To uninstall the current drivers, download the Uninstall Tool.
    • You must be logged on as an Administrator.
    • If the User Account Control prompt is displayed, click Yes.
    • If the Windows Security dialog box appears, check Always trust software from "Brother Industries, ltd." and click Install.
    • When the installation dialog instructs you to restart your computer to apply changes, DO NOT restart your computer. Continue the installation until the installation has finished. When the installation has finished, restart your computer.
    • For Power PDF users: If you cannot install Power PDF or enter the licence key, download and install this version of Power PDF.
    1. Disconnect your Brother machine from your computer if you already connected an interface cable.
    2. Once downloaded, double click on the downloaded file to extract it.
      If you cannot find the downloaded file, please click here to see how to download a file.
    3. Select your language with reference to the language list and click "OK".
    4. Please follow the installation screen directions.

If the installer does not start, click here to see the details of how to start the installer manually.

• Charyl

Tinkerer

Yes I have done all this, 5 times, now I can't reinstall at all. I am waiting for another usb cable to arrive monday. It will be my 3rd but we will see. None of this started until I ran out of toner and got a new toner. So I purchased another toner in case that one was defective.
  • Larryodie
    What happens, when you go to Settings, Devices, Printers & Scanners then Add a Printer. 
    Does the printer come on OK without any blinking lights ?

I really think that you need to take the printer to a repair shop, maybe they'll advise to bring the computer too. 
  • Charyl

Tinkerer

The printer no longer shows up. I uninstalled it when I got a new cord and when I went to reinstall it then it would no longer communicate so I am waiting on another new cord to arrive monday. But I was finally able to get it to factory reset which I wasn't able to do previously.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Are you using USB directly or a network connection?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Charyl

Tinkerer

Never sat up network so yes directly
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,884 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Charyl said:
    Never sat up network so yes directly

My advice to you is this, go to Brother HL3140CW web site as they have all the troubleshooting and drivers for your printer, there is no magical pill that will fix your issue(s) as and if all the diagnostic measures don't fix your problem(s) then there is something wrong with your printer and it needs fixing. I’ve been using a Brother laser printer for many years and every time it stopped working it was because the driver got corrupted and all I did is uninstall and reinstalled the driver and the printer worked, it’s the same with your printer especially when connecting it with  USB cable as the wireless is also just as simple and if these two connection methods don’t work then there is something wrong with your  Brother HL3140CW printer, also try this printer with another computer to make sure that the printer works? Also keep your Win-10 up to date and to the last version and OS build, that is essential.

• Larryodie
    edited July 2021
    Be sure to keep the printer DISCONNECTED until you're told to do so in the installation. Good Luck
    https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqcategory.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl3140cw_us_eu&ftype2=185
  • Charyl

Tinkerer

I do and thank you
  • Charyl

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Well in case anyone else in the future has the same problem I thought I would post the answer to what the problem was.

First during all this I found out that two of my usb ports stopped working and one of those was the one plugged into the printer.
    The problem was the printer port. It wasn't working properly. But with help from Brother I managed to set it up for wireless and can get a few more years out of it before I have to purchase another.

Thank you everyone for your help!