Older aspire x3470 upgrades possible?

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Deffie,

Sure, you can, as long as you have unused power connector( check the power supply for it) for that ( even if not, you can use Y-connector to spilt the power). So, at least you can use both the SSD and the original HDD (just use for data later) at the same time.

The 2 cables that you mentioned connecting to the HDD now are the data cable (narrower) and the power connector cable (wider). The connector on the motherboard is the SATA data connector, the data cable for the 2.5" SSD is to be connected there, can be used for both 3.5" HDD and 2.5" SSD.

Originally, my desktop PC that I mentioned had two unused data connectors and three power connectors. That is the reason why I occasionally share the data wire with another HDD. I have three SSD/HDD on that PC now, but only two constantly connected.

Gorilla Tapes come with different color, most commonly in white or clear, it's your choice. Conventionally masking tapes will do too, just not as strong.

Seems like you are still hungry for adding upgrades or spend money on this zero cost PC, ha ha!
  • Deffie
    Deffie Member Posts: 33 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Thanks for the explanations.
    I will have a look at the power supply tomorrow ( it's past 01:00h here )

I  maybe want to spend 120-150€ still if it runs ok with the SSD (64€)
    I don't have a desktop at the moment , after some really strange returning issues in the screens on my devices here , I actually suspect it was some kind of worm hiding in firmware which caused different devices to to have the same returning screen issues. It cost my a lot of money and frustrations to replace and throw away things.

I could still use this pc I think for basic needs and store my music collection and photos on. Maybe play an older classic game.

If the pc runs a bit smooth and lasts long I like to put the faster chip of this MB inside A8 3870k quadC 3.0mhz it's (42€) which also would increase the graphics a bit.

I am interested in understanding a bit more how the computer works . And I have time at the moment.

I will post the results a soon as I know more.

Thank you again for your time and help!

• ttttt
    @Deffie

I am not sure I understand what do you mean by "bring over the windows key to my Microsoft account and use it to activate the fresh install on the SSD" ? Do you mean you may transfer windows key from other source other than the HDD that is currently used?

Here is a link that a person is having problems with installing Win 10 by booting from USB.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/640729/my-acer-aspire-a315-31-does-not-boot-without-acpi-off#latest
    Maybe you will find some info useful in the thread.

Seemed to me the person is having outdated BIOS that gives USB booting problem. You have a different PC, and may not have similar problem. Since your PC has a SATA DVD drive, I think having an extra copy of Windows installation DVD disc (other than the USB flash drive ) is a good idea, just in case you run into USB booting problem like that person.

Also, I would suggest you to keep the BIOS up to date first before doing the clean Win 10 installation.
    Disconnect the original HDD and replace it with the new SATA SSD for installation.
  • Deffie
    Hello tttt
    By windows key , I think I mean, linking the windows on the pc now to my Microsoft account email adres with password , this way the windows activation key can be used after the fresh install to activate the windows legitimate again by filling in the Microsoft account email adres and password .
    I do need an activation  key after a clean install via install media I think ????
    I would make the usb install media via another pc.

I do have a OEM install dvd from another windows pc with different key (still in use)
    Can I use this to install windows on the Acer pc aswell?

Thanks for the link to the forum post, will be useful! :)

I actually found real gorilla tape here in Belgium 😃

Many thanks again

• ttttt
    @Deffie,

I have never tried activated Windows the way that you described, maybe it will work this way.

Since your PC is so old, most likely one that uses MBR partition table and Legacy BIOS. Hope that the USB installation will work smooth for you.
    Didn't know if a Windows digital license was embedded in the your PC's motherboard by that time, probably not, as there was OEM installation disc.

I think the "OEM install dvd from another windows pc with different key (still in use)"  may or may not work with this PC. You can try.

Let us know your progress.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    The activation code is built in if you are in UEFI mode, but your system might just be old enough to be legacy instead. If so you can use a utility to get the current key out of the registry.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Deffie
    Thank you for your help,
    I will start bios tomorrow to check . I think it is uefi.
    The former owner just texted that she does not remeber her windows loggin password anymore.
    Maybe the key is somewhere printed on the bodywork.

Also de sata3 cable for a second hardisk is not clear as I think the connector to the motherboard should be male or might be something different at all it's rond at one side and square on the other end. While most in store are female-female.
    Will post a photo tomorrow .

Again thanks you all for all your help.

• Deffie
    hello,
    my excuses for yesterday 
    the connectors are all normal as they should :)
    i do only have 2 possible  power cables (dvd&HDD) so i need an Y connecter for the second drive as tttt told .
    will perform the bios update and windows install this afternoon.

a maybe to forebaring question concerning the possible ram upgrade if needed: i checked a bit and seems my processor AMD A6 3620 APU (and possible later the A8 3870K), might actualy support 1866 DDR3 ram modules . found it on the wikipedia of these FM1 socket chips.
    and seems AMD apu benefit realy more from these faster ram modules then other "intel" chips where there is not much difference between 1333 & 1866.

but i will try to succesfully complete the windows install first :)

thanks again ,

• Deffie
    hello,

i am floodding this forum post , my excuses
    the most recent bios update for the aspire x3470 would be uefi bios but for windows8.1 (not for upgrades) 2013 P11-A3
    would it be advisable to not upgrade the bios then? the machine is running a windows 10 already .

• Deffie
    hello,

my first attempt today did not succeed.
    after cleaning the dusty inside of the pc with pressed air .I have tried  begin to reset windows (on the original HDD) to factory settings , but after 20minutes resetting i get the message i could not be done and finaly boots back to windows boot section. i tried 3 times even with full erase for selling the pc.
    I don't get the reason why it can't complete.
    so i connect the SSD en replaced the cmos battery .  I made a usb stick with the newest bios version for this pc on a linux laptop. formatted MBR exfat and nfts and placed the zip file on the stick (as sugested for a windows10 iso made on linux) . but at boot the media is not detected. secure boot is disabled. removable devices is first at boot. and F12 boot menu is enabled.
    I have performed a biosflash on another computer and i remeber i had only one file on the usb stick, not a zip file.
    after looking up i formatted the usb flashdrive again in GUID partition and FAT32 format. 

my acer bios zip file has different files inside : ROM->P11-A3.cap (which is the bios version i think)
                                                                             WIN->Flash.bat, afuwin64.exe, amifldrv64.sys

steps provided by acer are via windows itself. but i cannot logging or reset the windows on the drive.
    Is it possible to perform a bios update via usb with one of those files only. i do not want to use any critic functions that i found on the net.

I can make a bootable medium of windows10 iso via the linux laptop and install this first on the new SSD as the new ssd is recognized in bios. and perform the latest update then from within windows. but i am not shut it will recognise the usb stick ? 

will try more tomorow

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,430 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    i wouldn't be worrying about BIOS, get your windows working. 
  • billsey
    Yes, there is no good reason to be trying to muck around with the BIOS at this point. Get Windows working first and only update the BIOS if you need a specific fix. Boot into the BIOS and get the version from it. Yours will either have a P01 or P11 version and there's no upgrade path from one to the other. If you have the P11 BIOS you should be set for UEFI boot, if P01 then Legacy boot. Legacy needs MBR, UEFI needs GPT.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Deffie said:
    Hello!

I recently fell without a computer and a Friends mother was so kind tot give me her old , not so fast working Acer aspire X x3470 (a compact Tower pc).

It is a not so loved desktop in think as there is not terrible much info about it on thé forum.

I would want to upgrade this pc a bit (low Cost)
    To make it run Windows (or even dual boot a Linux distro) quiet easy and be abble to play thé occasional grand strategy game on steam.

I did purchase already thé Samsung Evo 870 SSD 500gb and Will buy 2 extra 4gb ram dimm modules (not yet Shure of exact speed)

I have opende up thé pc and there is not much space . Only one 3.5 HDD 1tb, a DVD reader
    And a smalle graphics card. 

Specs : AMD A6 (F1 A75 BUILD) 3620 QUAD CORE 2.1GHZ
    AMD Radeon HD 8470 2Gb (low profile 35w)
    4 slots with 2x 4gb DDR3 dimm .,.... (Max 16gb)

I am quiet a beginner in building and cleaning up computers. And first pc with AMD.
    what woud be possible as upgrade for thé A6 chip and Radeon graphics card? woud thé same A8 and 10 work on this motherboard? Of even neWer ones?
    What kind of stronger graphicscard 2GB wouLd work in this smalle slot ( as this one has no extra cooling or power. PCI 2.1 x16)

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR MUCH APPRICIATED ADVICE.

of more info of foto's needed please say so.

Thanks

“Deffie” first and let me give you some advice (as I’ve got over 38 years’ experience with computers and upgrading, fixing etc etc) but and firstly you have to realise that your Aspire X3470 has limits and it was an inbetween model when the widely used MBR type BIOS was changed over to the UEFI type BIOS’s and that your desktop also comes with either an MBR/Legacy BIOS (versions: P01.A4) or the UEFI BIOS (versions: P11.A1L or the P11.A3) and there is also a BIOS that was specially made for the Aspire X3470 to run Linux OS’s which is the version: P01.A4L, all these BIOS updates for this desktop are on the Acer site to download.

But and as you have said that you have the UEFI BIOS in the Aspire X3470 (please make 100% sure that you have the UEFI) then upgrade the BIOS as instructed in the BIOS guide to that last BIOS update version P11.A3 dated: 2013/01/16 and titled: BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades) as this is a UEFI BIOS. This is very important for your desktop to function at its best and with the latest technology for Win-10 and all its updates to the last Win-10 version 21H1 and OS build: 19043.1110, btw I’ve done this to a similar vintage Aspire V3-571G laptop that came with an MBR/Legacy BIOS and I had to convert the BIOS to UEFI (which is another mod) so I know from experience about these desktops and laptops and they works 100% and very well wih Win-10 last version but they will not run the new Win-11, so note that.

My suggestion to you is to do these upgrades if you want this Aspire X3470 desktop to work 100% and be a usuable computer from your OEM Aspire X3470 so do the following:

1. Upgrade your OEM CPU Socket FM1 A6-3620 to the Socket FM1 A8-3870K or even the A8-3850 depends on your budget as the A10 is not compatible with your motherboard, this CU update will give you a max 35% relative performance increase over your OEM A6-3620 CPU.

2. Upgrade the DDR-3 RAM to the max 16GB at 4x 4GB DDR3-1866MHz DIMM's, as this desktop can support a Max memory of 16 GB (using 4x 4GB modules into its 4x slots) of type DDR3 1.5V 1066MHz or1333MHz DIMM's (at either modules types of 1GB / 2GB or 4GB types) but, I would go as far as putting even DDR3-1866MHz DIMM type RAM as that will improve your performance even more. Btw, I’ve done this to the same vintage Aspire V3-561G laptop that had the same recommended DDR3 RAM as your Aspire X3470 and it works perfectly and has very high performance figures especially that I’ve also replaced its spinner HDD to an SSD 2.5” Samsung 1TB 850 EVO SATA3 6GB/sec type that has improved with the RAM its performance by at least 300%.

3. Upgrade (as I’ve said in #2) your OEM spinner HDD 3.5’ to a 2.5” SSD drive of the type 2.5” SSD Samsung EVO type 2.5’ drive they are the best, I've using one daily and for 3 years and they the best and very reliable, never ever had any problems with them (use a 3.5" to 2.5" HDD Caddy to do this) also note that this desktops specs are SATA-3 6GB/s.

Its Design requirement are:

• HDD: Support AHCI mode/Native IDE mode also

• Default AHCI mode in Microsoft windows OS. Native IDE mode in non-windows OS.

• Blue Ray ODD.

4. Seeing that the motherboard has a 1x slot PCIe x16 (PCIe V2.0) for a graphics card and NO mechanical retraction to support for double slot, full length graphics cards in the single PCIe X16 slot. The best upgrade to the OEM graphics card that the X3470 has would be the excellent NVIDIA GeForce range cards and whatever suits your budget? Like these graphics cards that will give you a superior performance over your OEM graphics cards like the; GTX 1050 2GB up in performance by 750% or a GTX 1650 4GB up in performance by 1200% or a GTX 1060 6GB up by 1550% in performance from your OEM AMD Radeon HD 8470 graphics cards as this depends entirely on your budget what you can upgrade to.

5. You must also upgrade the OEM 220W PSU of your Aspire X3470 if you get a higher spec graphics card to suit the new graphics card like and if you upgrade to a GTX-1060 type card then I would put a 500W PSU

These are what you should do as I’ve done this many times and in some of the same vinatge and much older computers and it works very well and for a fraction of the cost of a new system. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

• Deffie
    hello,

Thanks a lot for your full advice on possible upgrades!!  i will keep it in mind for later upgrades.

i have tried booting from the windows DVD with the new ssd without succes . so i connected the original HDD again , and after a few attemps and beeing on the windows loggin screen the dvd started by itself and now am installing custom windows installation again on the HDD ,enovo( have cleaned the disk with diskpart via command).

now i whave at least working windows10 and can update bios from there if i want ;)
    when sata and power cables arrive next week i will try clone the windows to the new ssd or install via dvd on the second drive ssd again.

with the ssd connected i could not boot anything , nothing was visible in boot menu F12, no dvd or usb with windows10 iso in different formats.
    message "no boot media selected , press any key....."

will keep posting progress !

thanks again
    greets

• Deffie
    Hi ,

thanks for your advice on fully upgrading!! i will use it as a guide.

at the moment i seem not possible to install anything anymore:(
    I tried to boot from the OEM windows home full install dvd , the eufi DVD drive comes up in F12 boot menu but when selecting i get again mesage "select medio to boot, no boot device selected , press any key.

The bios is in UEFI as i have P11-A3 (2012) secure boot is disabled and F12 boot menu enabled. launch csm disabled.

also the newly made usb flashdrive with windows 10 iso is not bootable or recognazid/visible  in boot menu or bios? i checked with all the usb ports available ,
    (my keyboard works in the usb connectors)

I did now reconect the original HDD , and try boot from DVD , both drives are visible in F12 boot menu. when selecting DVD it just starts booting the HDD with windows.

I can try installing windows  with the usb ,on the ssd via another windows laptop and put the ssd back in the acer?

I will keep trying :)

• billsey
    You will have better luck with a flash drive built with the current version of Windows 10 downloaded from Microsoft. My guess is the version that is on the DVD is a fair amount older. When you go into the BIOS it is set for UEFI Boot, with Secure Boot disabled and the F12 boot menu enabled, right?
  • Deffie
    Hello,

Thanks foto tour reply

Yes the bios is UEFI , secure boot disabled, F12 boot menu enabled.
    Also SATA is AHCI

Seems the USB drives are not recognized Maybe It is my formatting and partitioning that was not good , i tried different formats.
    I can make one on the Windows this time!
    Dvd is version Windows10 : 1909 (2017)

At the moment working win10 is on the HDD and i upgraded bios grom there,
    I Will try the SSD again next week .

Manu thanks again ,
    Greetz
  • billsey
    Let us know how it works out and we'll dig in deeper if needed.
  • Deffie
    Hello again!
    Update On the Acer aspire x3470 Mini Tower

It is working!
    But i did replace almost everything as i infected thé original settings With this screen virus " again
    Bought Same new motherboard on eBay for 24€ , upgrades thé CPU to max config A8 3870k quad core,38€, 4x4gb 1866 ddr3 hinyx ram 100€, crucial 256 MX SSD 40€, Asus dvd RW 22€ , Seagate Barracuda 1tb HDD 7200rpm 32€
    Maybe this is to much money for wath it is .

Installing everything went good , bios supports new cpu chip . Ram memory is recognized. And installing Windows via dvd on crucial SSD was easy.

At thé moment il do not have a GPU , using integrated via HDMI.
    Planning on maybe put thé GeForce GT 1030 Low profile
    As it only consumers 35 w  , and power supply only gives 220w ,
    I Found a psu With 350w that would fit thé Tiny room inside thé Acer.  But most stronger gpu low profile use 300w by itself allready . Everything inside uses +-140w now without gpu. Will look further into it. All advice is welcome!!

I cannot do much testing as it do not have Internet untill end of next week.
    Will notify more later!

Greetz

• billsey
    Yes, if you are at 140W actual usage now, then the 1030 should be a great fit. Although I'm sure you are aware you are pushing the limits for an upgrade now. Next upgrade after that involves a new computer. :)