Predator G1-170 will not power on at all after bios password reset by cmos battery removal

VictorMini
VictorMini Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi! So I am working on a Predator G1-170 desktop and I removed the cmos battery for 5 minutes to reset the bios password. I removed the power supply and let it discharge for days. Then once I tried to power back on the desktop it would not respond at all. I have tried removing the power cords and holding the ON button for 30 seconds which did nothing. I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this. I read on a similar post that someone solved this problem by removing the hardware components cleaning the connections and then reconnecting. I would like to try this but I do not know what components I need to remove. Does anyone know of some schematics that could help me/ videos of disassembly of this model? Thanks!!!

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi VictorMini,

It may void the warranty. Is there any light indication when you press the power button.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Removing the CMOS battery doesn't remove the supervisor password, it just sets defaults for most everything else. Removing the password via a battery removal wouldn't be very secure, after all...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • phillip8479
    phillip8479 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello,

Remove the battery and wait for 5 minutes to make sure its reset. It takes a little while for all the power draw to leave the motherboard from the battery. There probably is a CMOS jumper pin on your motherboard that you can also move, it should look like this:

Default - [o o] o

Reset - o [o o]

Wait for 5 minutes or so and move back to default and all of your BIOS settings should be reverted back to factory settings so you will have to go back and reconfigure your BIOS settings to your current hardware. If you aren't sure what the correct BIOS settings are to set them back to then try to go into the BIOS before you reset it if possible.

You didn't give enough time for the motherboard to lose the power draw from the battery so wait at least 5 minutes, it doesn't normally take that long but will do the trick...

When shorting the pins to reset the CMOS, you usually only need to short them for ten seconds, not five minutes.

indigocard

• VictorMini
    VictorMini Member Posts: 2 New User
    There is no light indication when I press the power button, it's very strange no response at all. This is more of the issue than the bios password reset.