how can I update VBIOS? - ph315-53

Options
Ashkan99
Ashkan99 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2021 in Predator Laptops
I downloaded VBIOS update zip file from acer.com but it fails to install (Fail. This tool does NOT support this project.)
Is there any other way to update VBIOS?
(model num: ph315-53) (RTX 2070 with ? max Q design (Dont know what it is! :/ ))

​//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,946 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Ashkan99 said:
    I downloaded VBIOS update zip file from acer.com but it fails to install (Fail. This tool does NOT support this project.)
    (model num: ph315-53) (RTX 2070 with ? max Q design (Dont know what it is! :/ ))

There is no VBIOS (video BIOS) on PH-315-53 Acer site, did you mean the laptop BIOS? As video BIOS is a totally different thing to the actual laptop BIOS. You must be using a wrong driver and/or BIOS update, see this guide of how to check your cards VBIOS “GPU BIOS Update Tools for Nvidia & AMD Graphics Cards” and here for unverified BIOS file for the RTX-2070

NOTE: be very careful as updating any BIOS could either brick your laptop and in this case your video card! Also, video BIOS’s are not on the Acer site and they are a totally different type of update. 

Also and with all Acer drivers, Acer only has older graphics drivers for your “Discrete Graphics Card” like the NVIDIA that you are using and you should always go to the manufacturer’s site to get the latest drivers.

• Ashkan99
    Ashkan99 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I dont know
    StevenGen said:
    Ashkan99 said:

There is no VBIOS (video BIOS) on PH-315-53 Acer site, did you mean the laptop BIOS? As video BIOS is a totally different thing to the actual laptop BIOS. You must be using a wrong driver and/or BIOS update, see this guide of how to check your cards VBIOS “GPU BIOS Update Tools for Nvidia & AMD Graphics Cards” and here for unverified BIOS file for the RTX-2070

NOTE: be very careful as updating any BIOS could either brick your laptop and in this case your video card! Also, video BIOS’s are not on the Acer site and they are a totally different type of update. 

Also and with all Acer drivers, Acer only has older graphics drivers for your “Discrete Graphics Card” like the NVIDIA that you are using and you should always go to the manufacturer’s site to get the latest drivers.

actually there is a file named "Update Nvidia discrete VGA VBIOS and improve performance" in acer site for predator ph-315-53
    could you help me for updating my VBIOS what should I do step by step?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,946 Trailblazer
    Options
    Ashkan99 said:
    I dont know
    StevenGen said:
    Ashkan99 said:

actually there is a file named "Update Nvidia discrete VGA VBIOS and improve performance" in acer site for predator ph-315-53
    could you help me for updating my VBIOS what should I do step by step?

Yes sorry Ashkan99 I missed that but, its very clear how Acer instructs you to update the VBIOS in their PDF guide of "Update VBIOS SOP", so follow that exactly as there is no other way and that is the safest way!

• mbx10br
    mbx10br Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    @StevenGen i saw your explanation and tried to perform exactly as requested on the pdf document, but it remains not working. please let me know if im doing anything wrong

• mahmoudsaberali
    mahmoudsaberali Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I got the same issue if u found any solution tell me
  • RaflyRamandani
    RaflyRamandani Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    VBIOS update for PH315-53 is only work on RTX 3000 series, if you try to install for RTX 2000 series is doesn't work, i don't know acer will update VBIOS on RTX 2000 series or not
  • CyberMetanoia
    CyberMetanoia Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    If vbios tool shows up "this tool doesn't support this project". Go to acer driver site. Open drivers list of your product. Click on "All" under "Drivers and Manuals". After that go to Bios/Firmware spoiler and you will see that another Firmware update appeared. Download another version that should be suitable for you. GLHF!
  • rafalima123
    rafalima123 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2021
    Options
    If vbios tool shows up "this tool doesn't support this project". Go to acer driver site. Open drivers list of your product. Click on "All" under "Drivers and Manuals". After that go to Bios/Firmware spoiler and you will see that another Firmware update appeared. Download another version that should be suitable for you. GLHF!
    I did what you told, and it showed one more Firmware. When I executed the bat file QX50_CMS_VBIOS_v101a.bat, it showed another error "Fail: This VBIOS update file does NOT support your graphic card.(DeviceID:0x1F1510DE)"

My notebook is a Predator Helios 300 PH315-53 - Windows 10 - GPU RTX2060. Please help me how to update my BIOS safely.
  • rafalima123
    rafalima123 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I saw this on the pdf instructions. 

[Step 0.] Set environment before update VBIOS.
    1. Please plug in AC adapter.
    2. Upgrade system BIOS to latest version.
    I don't know if my system BIOS is on the latest version. Do you think it can be a problem?