Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-52RH - Sound it too low - RANT

happyclub
happyclub Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
There are so many things I like about this laptop but there is one just absolutely pathetic. Why acer why do you do this. the model is Aspire 5 A515-56-52RH https://www.harveynorman.com.au/acer-aspire-5-15-6-inch-i5-1135g7-8gb-1tb-ssd-laptop.html and sound on videos sometimes on youtube or any other website is way too low even on 100 volume I can barely hear it. There is no option of enhancements or loudness equalization or equilizer option in the speakers which there used to be in my old acer laptop and why do you do that??? I have tried volume booster addons on chrome and the sound is always distorted so I removed those. Acer you went so wrong with the speakers/sound of this model it makes me want to return it. Surely its a software problem not a hardware since even at a 100 volume the sound is so low and the hardware is capable of producing a louder volume.

Does anyone know of a possible solution at all for this? 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Go to Control panel-> Hardware and Sound-> Sound, click Playback tab and go to Speakers Properties, move to Custom tab  and uncheck the box for Limited output and see whether it helps.

• happyclub
    Hi,
    Go to Control panel-> Hardware and Sound-> Sound, click Playback tab and go to Speakers Properties, move to Custom tab  and uncheck the box for Limited output and see whether it helps.

I Dont have that option :( 
  • brummyfan2
    Hi, 
    You could try reinstalling the driver, download from Acer support site, let us know the current driver version.
    Product Support | Acer United Kingdom
  • happyclub
    got the latest drivers version through windows updates - 

Date  18/03/2021

Version 6.0.9134.1
  • brummyfan2
    Go to Acer support site, download version 6.0.9049.1 and install and see whether it helps, you can also install Audio Console driver.
  • happyclub
    Go to Acer support site, download version 6.0.9049.1 and install and see whether it helps, you can also install Audio Console driver.
    tried both, no result, the same options, same sound level, acer sucks
  • AMYM
    AMYM Member Posts: 2 New User
    Did you ever manage to improve your audio? I have the same issue, somethings it is good and then on others I am going to have to put my headphones in, which I do not want to do!  
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    AMYM,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• happyclub
    Easwar said:
    AMYM,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

its in the title
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder
    edited November 2021
    happyclub
    I have a 515-54G-70AG laptop but probably our sound card, ALC255 chipset, are the same with the small Realtek speakers.
    For two years I have been struggling to get the sound volume of the speakers up, like you tried everything (boosters, equalizers, etc.). Realtek app is in complete control of the speakers so Windows has little effect (except enhance in Sound settings). No volume issues with wired or BT earphones as those are controlled by Intel and Windows. What solved my sound volume problem was Windows10 updates, after each major update the speaker volume increased a bit. I am now on version W10 21H1 19043.1348 (x36 Home) and are playing back a MP3 (free download to HDD) of a piano recital by Mozart with Windows Media Player, volume is set to 67% and speakers sound perfect (for a budget laptop with small downward directed speakers). Hope this helps.

• ScottieW
    ScottieW Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same issue.  I went from a 2016 Aspire R15 (R5-571T-59DC) to a 2021 Aspire 5 (A515-56T-77PS) and am SHOCKED at speaker volume comparatively. This is especially iritating because there is so much else to like about this laptop! 

To get the old speakers (Aspire R15) playing at about the same volume as the new Aspire 5, I have to reduce old system volume to about 25 of 100.  But the Aspire 5 sound is not just low in comparison to my old Aspire; it is low compared to every other device I play videos or take Zoom calls on, including phones from Samsung & Huawei, 2011 laptop from Asus, and Surface Pros 3 & 6. 

I'm not clear if the low sound level is due to sound hardware, hardware drivers, cheap speakers, sound software, Windows 10/11, or something else.  I have tried adjusting settings and updating drivers, none of which seems to help. Given all the searches I've done, it appears that my Aspire is working as designed and just has sound that maxes out at relatively volumes.

What I want to know is if anyone has a suggestion for how I might upgrade something (speakers, sound cards, etc.) so that I don't have to keep connecting to an external speaker?  Any suggestions??
  • novapiper
    novapiper Member Posts: 1 New User

I am having the same problem with a new Acer Aspire 5 A515-56. I bought the Aspire 5 to replace a dying Acer Spin that had wonderful Dolby Sound and an excellent display. The Spin had the power button that hung and would not wake up from sleep, so I had to buy a new Acer laptop. However, the Aspire 5's Realtek speakers are so low quality and tinny! I reinstalled the Audio driver 5 times yesterday, and even reinstalled the Realtek Audio Console but nothing works. Acer needs to create a patch to fix this. The Aspire 5 would be a decent laptop once the Realtek speakers are fixed.

• Puraw
    edited September 2022

@happyclub

Windows 11 improved my volume a bit but what really made a huge difference was installing the latest Intel (2 month old) display driver gfx_win_101.3413_101.2111.exe downloaded directly from Intel Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Drivers That is for my model laptop a515-54G, you may have a different display. Check if Acer recommends VGA_Intel_26.20.100.6911_W11x64_(UMA) for your model if that is the case the Intel driver above will work.

The main volume loudness improvement is YouTube and Internet video/streaming using MSEdge.

The Intel display driver installing is not for the "faint hearted", do not use the Intel Driver Assistant or Acer's driver app (which I uninstalled in Programs and apps) and turn off your Network (Internet). I went to Safe Mode and removed the 2019 Intel display drivers with DDU (Acer states it is 2021 but all drivers are 2019). Next step is to double check all old Intel sound and display drivers are gone by running RAPR-remove old drivers and check the driver list carefully afterwards if you still see display Intel display driver duplicates (2019), you can delete those with RAPR by ticking the driver you don't want. Make sure you know what the driver is you delete!

The Intel display driver package includes sound drivers that have been updated. After installing the new Intel driver I had issues getting a weird Streaming Audio device that was reinstalled each time, if that happens go to elevenforums Devices - Uninstall Driver in Windows 11 and you will find Brink's post # 6. That fixed my problem with the unwanted Streaming Audio driver being installed. Screen is nice no more errors 4101 (BSOD) in W11 and booting is fast (25 sec. with fast startup)

• Tiger7641
    Tiger7641 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem. I was set to return it for service. It updated while I wasn't using it and the volume is better for netflix. But for watching asmr vids on youtube, forget it. I can barely hear them. Microsoft worked on it remotely and couldn't fix it. I tried an app for increasing the volume but it sounded distorted so I uninstalled it. Is this the best that acer sound gets? If so, I'll return it. It might be a cheaper laptop but it isn't worth what I spent on it.

• Ronman189
    Ronman189 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2023

Same problem here. Actually have to lift the laptop up to my face to hear some videos and listening to music on this pc is futile. I had a long talk with ACER customer support and their only solution was for me to send my laptop to Texas and let them decide wether the sound level was appropriagte for this model. I explained over and over that this sound level was absolutely not adequate given I had turned it up to 100 and still was having trouble listening to most videos. I didn't need Texas to make that decision. I just wanted a solution. None was forthcoming. The real question was how was ACER addressing the issue as it is obviously quite widespread for this model of laptop. He claimed it was the first he had heard of the problem and again suggested I send it to Texas for them to decide if the sound level was appropriate.

• Puraw

Hi guys @Ronman189 @Tiger7641 @happyclub @novapiper @ScottieW @AMYM

I am listening to a classical concert (J.S. Bach) with my a515-54G and downloaded mp3 file, system volume 64%, played back with the new MSMedia Player volume 80% if I want it louder I turn on (right click) the MSMedia Player internal equalizer (12 DB booster), nice sound. Online YouTube volume is a bit low, have to set system volume to 100% but still doable. Most internet embedded players (news) are OK when I turn the embedded player volume to maximum except Rumble.com I have to increase system sound also to 100%. I agree this is not perfect but certainly no reason to buy a new laptop considering all the pros (reliability of this system, fast CPU, fully Windows11 compatible, best value for money). Like I stated before just buy an external set of wired (jack plug) or BT speakers that come with an amplifier and you will have theater quality sound😀