Ubuntu Dual boot not able to detect pre-installed Windows 10 on SSD Predator Helios 300

Options
NilutpolK
NilutpolK Member Posts: 1 New User
edited July 2021 in Predator Laptops

My Laptop Specs-

• · Model - Acer Predator Helios 300
  • · Storage - 256 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD
  • · Graphics - Geforce GTX 1660 Ti
  • · OS - Windows 10 Home
  • · Boot Mode -  UEFI
  • · SATA Mode - RST Premium with Optane

I want to dual boot my system with Ubuntu 18.04 along with my pre-installed Windows 10 OS. My Windows 10 is installed in the 256 GB SSD and I want to install Ubuntu 18.04 in the 1 TB HDD. I have unalloacted and freed 150 GB space for the Ubuntu installation.

I have disabled secure boot in the BIOS and enabled F12 boot menu.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

But whenever I go for Ubuntu Installation, the installation setup is not able to detect my Windows 10 OS.It shows "This computer currently has no detected OS".

If I go for the "Something Else" option, its not able to detect my SSD and the memory partitions are different than the actual ones. I have unallocated 150 GB of free space for my Ubuntu instalation but the Ubuntu installation wizard shows 161064 GB (~160 GB) of free space which is 10 GB more than the  actual free space.

My default SATA mode is ‘RST Premium with Optane’.

I don't want to lose my work and data from Windows 10 as it contains many of my college projects.
Please do help me out.

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's the sata mode, Ubuntu doesn't have a working optane driver yet so it can't access the ssd 

If you swap it to ahci it will see it, but then windows will blue screen without making some changes first (which in turn have a chance of causing blue screens) 

A bit of a guide can be found here : https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-installation-on-computers-with-intel-r-rst-enabled/15347

Virtual machines or re installing are usually better than messing with windows boot options, but you can get it to work side by side by following that guide

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's the sata mode, Ubuntu doesn't have a working optane driver yet so it can't access the ssd 

If you swap it to ahci it will see it, but then windows will blue screen without making some changes first (which in turn have a chance of causing blue screens) 

A bit of a guide can be found here : https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-installation-on-computers-with-intel-r-rst-enabled/15347

Virtual machines or re installing are usually better than messing with windows boot options, but you can get it to work side by side by following that guide
  • Smegma11
    Smegma11 Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first tried to run my backup program that runs under Linux. I had to download their Eufi version boot version. Once you get the boot sector correct, I'm sure you will get it. Acer needs it to be the way they want it.