Touchpad suddenly missing on Acer Aspire E5 - 411 Laptop running windows 10? - FIXED here.

MaverickUK
MaverickUK Member Posts: 5 New User
Windows 10 updates are killing Acer touchpads - Acer Aspire E5 - 411 - C5Z7 - It has been driving me crazy for last few months and nothing works to correct it. The Acer Bios also seems to have been hijacked by useless win 10 (July 2021) My laptop is a 2015 version with all updates. never had an issue with touchpad and when it does disappear Fn f7 etc do nothing, apart from lose the keyboard occasionally. I tried getting rid of windows and using Ubuntu which was not much fn but it did restore the touchpad so  knew then it was a windows 10 issue being the cause. 
Anyway cut a long story short and many hours of wasted time trying to fix it. It turns out the problem is with the Intel io drivers.

I think I found this tip on here but cant find the source now but thanks anyway guys.

The link for the intel io drivers is here 32 and 64 bit and I have had no trouble since apart from when dozy windows does an update and buggers it up again. Just reinstall the drivers. It adds a HID thing to device manager mouse and others section.

THIS FIXES LOST TOUCHPAD ISSUES in ACER LAPTOP

Best Answer

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,174 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    MaverickUK

Thanks for your valuable feedback.   Your suggestions are always welcome.. 

I would like to add some more interesting suggestions.. 

If fn + f7 or fn + f6 is not working you can simply press f6 or f7 alone to enable or disable the touch pad.  

Please go to support.acer.com
    chose your country
    type snid or model 
    go to drivers 
    It will clearly tell you on the top of the drivers page that before installing the touchpad drivers you need to install the i/o drivers.... 
    You can find the i/o and touchpad drivers listed there to install.. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

Answers

• William_mk2
    Answer ✓
    MaverickUK

Thanks for your valuable feedback.   Your suggestions are always welcome.. 

I would like to add some more interesting suggestions.. 

If fn + f7 or fn + f6 is not working you can simply press f6 or f7 alone to enable or disable the touch pad.  

Please go to support.acer.com
    chose your country
    type snid or model 
    go to drivers 
    It will clearly tell you on the top of the drivers page that before installing the touchpad drivers you need to install the i/o drivers.... 
    You can find the i/o and touchpad drivers listed there to install.. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• MaverickUK
    Ah I see. Not sure how that was missed then. Maybe some of us shouldnt be allowed out on our own when playing with computers lol I did try the touchpad drivers at the start (clearly wrong) but it did nothing and my laptop never ever had any touchpad mentioned in devices etc. Still doesnt, just mentions HID something or other along with mouse (update on that it now states "elan 12C filter driver and the mouse is HID device"). Plus my laptop seemed to be newer than all the drivers anyway. I think if memory serves the touchpad one was a 2014 driver  for win 8.1 and there were no other drivers for touchpad. So thanks for the recent updates on the acer page which I shall download them all now for future reference. These ones on that page now have been updated since my ordeal which is great.
    Though the driver I downloaded from the softpedia page (see link above) that fixed my problem and installed Elan 12C Filter Driver is different from your updated touchpad file . I wont touch it again as its all working now but if it packs up again I shall install the newer Acer support drivers. But maybe I should update them in sequence anyway what do you think?

Softpedia file (which installs version 13.6.5.2 dated 24/03/2016 which still looks to be slightly newer then the current acer version of 13.6.3.1?)

Acer Aspire E5-411 Intel Serial IO Driver 604.10135.1001.53001 for Windows 10 64-bit

ACER Support Page file
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/5397?b=1&pn=NX.MTUEK.001&sn=NXMTUEK001507140977600
    TouchPad_ELANTECH_13.6.3.1_W10x64_A.zip
  • MaverickUK
    edited July 2021
    PS: Fn f7 (F7 alone does nothing) is working now with my softpedia version, on and off. Fn F6 just makes screen blank. Press fn key again it comes back (dual monitor stuff?)
  • William_mk2
    edited July 2021
    Please look at the key f6 and f7.    You can see the hand symbol with fingers .   That denotes the touchpad function key.   On some models it will be on f6 and some models it will be on f7.    So we need to use the right key depending upon the laptop model .   If fn + f7 is not working then we have to use f7 alone to make it to work.     

On some laptop models there will be a separate button right  next to touch pad area which is beow the space bar.  It is used to turn on and off the touch pad.  On some old models it will be right next to power button.   On all new models, f7 key is used to enable and disable the touch pad. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★