Costco Aspire A515-56T-77PS

MarkPrz
MarkPrz Member Posts: 2 New User
Portable USB3 hard drive seems slow at transferring data from computer to hard drive? Not any faster than old computer that only had USB2.

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Did the cable come with the external HDD?

Jack E/NJ

• Callistemon
    Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    When Windows copies files from one disk to another, it defragments and rearranges them during the process. Even if the external disk is mostly empty and has plenty of space to be written to, and the interface is high-speed USB 3, the transfer speeds from the internal to the external may still be slow if the internal disk is fragmented.

If the internal drive is an SSD, then although fragmentation would not substantially slow down reading from the flash (as long as it does not overheat the controller), if it is the external HDD side that is actuating to rearrange the files, then transferring files out to an HDD would be just as slow as if the internal drive was also an HDD. I have not tested to confirm if the disk being copied from or copied to is the one that actuates in order to defragment.

To obtain the true transfer speed of the external HDD with the USB 3 interface, open Command Prompt as administrator and enter <winsat disk -drive [letter]:> and then press Enter. It will display the true speed of Sequential Read and Sequential Write, without interference from the internal disk contents being defragmented in transit.
  • MarkPrz
    MarkPrz Member Posts: 2 New User
    I called the technical assistance after reading in the spec manual. The machine has a USB2 port on the right side of the laptop. On the left it has a USB3.0, USB3.2 & and a USB3.2C port. I had the portable hard drive plugged into the USB2 port. Plugged it into the USB3.0 port and the speed almost doubled.
    Thanks for the comments
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Congrats. That's why USB3 are color-coded blue. There are also new other small icons associated with USB port you may want to get familiar with. All kinds of new-fangled stuff happening these days to confuse everybody.   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ