How do I replace my failing windows drive on a Acer Predator G6-710 ?

Options
alyk1978
alyk1978 Member Posts: 1 New User
The SSD ( C: ) which contains a hidden partition with windows-install files I assume, is failling and I want to replace it. Can I simply buy any SSD to replace it ?

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited July 2021
    Options
    alyk1978

We need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue.     If it is a hardware issue you can go ahead and replace the part.     If it is a software issue we need to find out the real cause of the issue.  

Before replacing the part you can try reloading the windows.. 

There are different ways to do recovery on your computer.   Inside your computer, there is a place called recovery partition.    You can use the recovery partition to reload windows instead of using the flash drive.    Using the flash drive to do recovery will always be the last step.  

You  can always  do a refresh and reset.   These are the steps to do the refresh and reset ..    If you are able to load the windows and if you are able to see the desktop and regular icons then follow these steps..

You  can always  do a refresh and reset.   These are steps to do the refresh and reset .. 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top  - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove every thing

chose keep my files 
    chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 
    It will be in progress.. 
    login to computer and start using the computer. 

If it is still not working 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 
    chose remove everything 
    click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset  - It will be in progress

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) -  all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos  will still be intact.   Only the applications will be lost 

If you do reset  ( remove everything )  - you are doing a factory default.   It will become like a day one computer.    It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

If you still wish to replace the drive, please follow the details given below:

If your Desktop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.     Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  click on "contact support".  Scroll down.  You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

If it is out of warranty, please contact local store or

Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  Click on  "Repair My Acer" - Request to have your Acer product repaired.   

Additional info to contact Acer Store:  Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.   You can buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories.  Alternatively,  on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.   For the parts which are not available on Acer store, you have to contact local store.

If you still would like to replace the ssd..  you can buy any ssd but please buy a ssd which is compatible for your computer.  

Please visit the website  given below .  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .   Please chose the options and try it.   It will show you the memory and ssd details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options
    The short answer is yes, you can just buy another SSD and replace it. Your system has an M.2 slot on the motherboard for the SSD and it supports SATA but not NVMe drives. If your existing drive isn't too bad you can just clone the old drive to the new one (that will require an external case to hold one of them during the cloning process), shut down then swap the new one in for the old one. It should just boot with no discernible change, except now the drive won't be failing. That also works if you are also upgrading to a bigger drive.
    If the old drive has failed enough that you can't pull stuff off your best bet is to download all the drivers for your system from the Acer support site, sticking them on a flash drive, then use a different flash drive to download the same flavor of Windows you are running now (likely Windows 10 Home 64bit) to create an install image, then put the new drive in place, boot from the Windows install flash drive and use it to install Windows, then once Windows is up install any missing drivers off the flash disk you created earlier.
    If the drive is wishy-washy enough to fail the clone process, but solid enough to still allow you to access most of the files, use the second procedure plus the external case and after Windows is up with all drivers installed just copy what you can from the bad drive...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.