ACER Aspire One D250 motherboard compatibility

LudiMilojko
LudiMilojko Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello all,
I've had my Aspire One D250-1024 for long time and few months ago motherboard suddenly died (black screen after power on). As you all know integrated cpu Atom N270 and even much weaker integrated Intel GMA945 graphics are the weakest part of that fancy little netbook which is still great for some basic office jobs. Well as I said before motherboard is dead and I still could find second hand Aspire One motherboards for decent money. My original motherboard is Compal KAV60 LA-5141P.
So my question is can I install (is it compatible) some other motherboard with better cpu and graphics from Acer Aspire One series for example D255, D260, D270 (Quanta ZE7 DA0ZE7MB6D0 motherboard) or some other model to my Aspire One D250 housing?

​//Edited the content to add model name.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can get a new motherboard for less than $20 from Aliexpress. Don't try to shoehorn in another mainboard for very marginal gains. It won't  be worth the effort or cost since port placement and screw locations are often different. If you're in the US, mainboards sometime ship from US warehouses so the wait is less than a week. Otherwise about 4 weeks.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• LudiMilojko
    If motherboards from other Aspire One series aren't compatible with D250 housing (can't be fitted) could I unsolder N270 cpu and solder N2800, N475 or even some i3, i5 cpu on Compal KAV60 LA-5141P motherboard? 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    You can get a new motherboard for less than $20 from Aliexpress. Don't try to shoehorn in another mainboard for very marginal gains. It won't  be worth the effort or cost since port placement and screw locations are often different. If you're in the US, mainboards sometime ship from US warehouses so the wait is less than a week. Otherwise about 4 weeks.

Jack E/NJ

• LudiMilojko
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, you are maybe right that risking with another motherboard won't gain me much difference in performance. But because my old motherboard is dead, I was thinking to install stronger motherboard at least with 64-bit cpu and ddr3 Ram, but if d250, d260, d270 model motherboards aren't fully compatible with my D250 housing, power supply or any ports that won't be worth risk. BTW I could buy at local computer store second hand KAV60 motherboard for less than $15. What about idea to buy KAV60 motherboard and just swap atom N270 cpu for some stronger CPU?

• JackE
    Sorry, the n270 is soldered to the mainboard as a ball grid array. Not a replaceable CPU socket. Almost all low-end laptops in the past 10 years or so have BGA CPU sockets.  You'd likely do much better trying to find second-hand 64-bit netbook like an A0722  with much better CPU, graphics, expandablility, storage, better case design and just about better everything else. Less than $50 when you can find them.

Jack E/NJ

• LudiMilojko
    Yes, I agree with everything you said. I know N270 is soldered to the mainboard and it's not predicted to be upgraded. I assume it could be removed somehow with heatgun but as you said stronger cpu won't gain any noticeable performance boost when all other components are poor. I fancy this netbook because of its compact size and strong enough for car diagnostic software and some casual office jobs. 
  • JackE
    Yes, that's why I like the AO722 which I'm using right now in this reply. Dual boot with LinuxMint Cinnamon GUI configured to have same, look feel and function of Microsoft's last half-way decent Windows version only faster. Same size as the D250 except the guts are much easier to access and upgrade with case design and more advanced 64-bit AMD chipset. Plus it runs most non-Microsoft Windows apps that I use with the WINE overlay and all the latest Microsoft Office stuff.

Jack E/NJ