Acer Spin 3 SP314-53N-57BS with Windows 10 - keyboard stopped working

cfh657w3
cfh657w3 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited July 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
I have an Acer Spin 3 model SP314-53N-57BS whose keyboard has stopped working.

The keyboard works in the BIOS and when booting from a live Linux USB but when in Windows 10, including the login screen, it doesn't work.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard driver.

I have tried resetting the battery using the pinhole on the bottom of the laptop. I also tried taking the battery out completely and using the laptop just on the power cable.

I have also tried reinstalling Windows completely and restoring the default options in the BIOS.

None of these fix the problem. Neither does booting into Windows Safe Mode.

The strangest thing is that when I boot into Linux from a live USB and then reboot back into Windows the keyboard starts working again but then stops the next time I turn off the laptop. Sometimes it continues working after a few more power off cycles but eventually, usually within an hour or so, it stops working again.

The touchpad has also stopped working but this usually fixes itself upon restarting the laptop, and then stops working again when starting up the laptop again hours or days later.

It's as though something happens when the laptop is off for more than a few minutes that makes the keyboard and touchpad break?

External keyboards and mice work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• If the touchpad and keyboard stop working, try uninstalling and deleting the human interface drivers and restart windows:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • cfh657w3

Tinkerer

Thanks. Which ones do I delete? All of them?

(The USB ones are there because I plugged in a keyboard to take the screenshot)

• Uninstall and delete all. Then restart windows.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • cfh657w3

Tinkerer

That did not fix the problem. The keyboard still doesn't work. The touchpad does after a restart but then stops again some time later.
  • If the problem only occurs on windows 10, what happens when you press alt+f10 before the acer logo, to reinstall windows?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cfh657w3

Tinkerer

I have tried reinstalling Windows, both through pressing alt+f10 and by using a USB installer. The problem is still there afterwards.
  • Does the problem also occur when connecting an external usb keyboard? What happens when you type in that link? https://en.key-test.ru/

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cfh657w3

Tinkerer

The external keyboard works fine. Going to that link all of the keys on the external keyboard work but none of the laptop keys do.
  • Can you try installing a live linux distribution to see if the same issue occurs too?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cfh657w3

Tinkerer

If I boot from a live Linux USB the keyboard and touchpad both work fine.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    So the problem pretty much has to be in Windows, since it works in the BIOS and in a Linux live environment. You have already tried to deal with it by replacing the keyboard drivers, but the keyboard actually sits on an internal USB connection, and I'd guess that's what's not working right. I've seen similar issues with other devices sitting on an internal USB port, like a touchpad or fingerprint reader, and I believe it's tied to some Windows updates that have gone awry. Could you try a clean install of an older Windows version, such as 2004 or 1909?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cfh657w3

Tinkerer

I will try that this weekend.
  • billsey
    Please let us know how it turns out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cfh657w3

Tinkerer

egydiocoelho - I tried installing that driver but it didn't work.

billsey - I reinstalled Windows using a 2004 version and the keyboard and touchpad both work fine. I guess it is like the other devices you have seen. What do you recommend I do when 2004 goes end of service later this year?

Thank you both very much for your help.

• billsey
    OK, since we know where the issue lies there are a couple of approaches to take. You can install updated Windows versions until it fails again, then back off by one or you can just keep using it in 2004 and then try to W11 update in the fall. Hopefully they will have sorted the issue before then...
  • You can try reinstalling windows by pressing alt+f10 before the acer logo too.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi cfh657w3,

# Try to update the keyboard driver

1. Hold windows key and hit letter X.
    2. Choose the device manager option.
    3. Go with the option keyboard driver.
    4. Under the title keyboard driver.
    ​​
    5. Right click on that option ----> Update all driver under the title keyboard  driver.
    6. Choose "search automatically". 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • cfh657w3

Tinkerer

billsey - I will leave it with 2004 for now and hope that Windows 11 fixes the problem. Thanks again.

egydiocoelho and Easwar - Thank you both for your help but it is working again now with the 2004 version of Windows 10 installed, as per billsey's suggestion.
  • rt1234
    rt1234 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am having the same issue. Did you happen to find a solution (specifically for keyboard function)? Did WIN 11 resolve? Thanks in advance for your help. This is driving me crazy. :-)