V5-561P-6869 many keys not working

redsho199
redsho199 Member Posts: 2 New User
Have replaced keyboard twice (once just the keyboard, once the whole top assembly). It started out with a few keys being flaky, now many keys won't work at all. Not a Windows problem as the keys won't work when in the bios either. But now F2 has quit so I can't even get in the bios anymore. What's next - CPU board? I hate to throw more money at it if the CPU board is not likely to fix the problem.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It certainly sounds like hardware is the issue. Since you have replaced the keyboard we can assume it's not the problem, which only leaves the cable and the motherboard. Inspect the wiring to make sure there are no pinched or torn sections, then inspect closely the keyboard connector. Is there any sign of corrosion? Is the cable fully seated and the latch closed? If you can't find any issue there it's very likely the MB, which isn't going to be a cheap fix. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, an external keyboard is a great work-around. It would sure be nice to find out what it actually is, especially since if it's the motherboard it might be a creeping issue that eventually affects something more critical...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    It certainly sounds like hardware is the issue. Since you have replaced the keyboard we can assume it's not the problem, which only leaves the cable and the motherboard. Inspect the wiring to make sure there are no pinched or torn sections, then inspect closely the keyboard connector. Is there any sign of corrosion? Is the cable fully seated and the latch closed? If you can't find any issue there it's very likely the MB, which isn't going to be a cheap fix. :(
  • redsho199
    redsho199 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I suspect you are correct. I've checked all the cables & connectors. About $80 for a used MB with no guarantee that it will solve the problem plus that board may have its own problems. Everything else works perfectly. I did find that I can use an external USB keyboard. What surprised me is that it works outside of Windows. I can press F2 to get into the bios & work there. Since I don't travel with it I may just continue with that. New laptop prices have
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, an external keyboard is a great work-around. It would sure be nice to find out what it actually is, especially since if it's the motherboard it might be a creeping issue that eventually affects something more critical...