freezes every day - Swift 3 (SF314-42)

Options
2»

Answers

• steveonmars
    steveonmars Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    billsey, thanks. I thought I got here because I clicked on support. I'll try to find the right support link to actually talk to them.
  • Callistemon
    Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have crystaldiskinfo and the temperature never gets over 40c. I run antivirus and antimalware all the time and never had any problems and don't now.

Everything else you recommend you don't actually tell me how to do any of it so maybe a little help would be nice. I tried finding the other things on my computer and can't find any of them. Windows Drive Optimizer? Advanced Power Management? Temperature 2? How do I actually do any of this?
    Sorry for the delay in response. The Windows Drive Optimizer tool is the same tool used for defragmenting HDDs. It can be found by searching for "defragment" in the taskbar. CrystalDiskInfo should have APM listed under the Features row. Try moving the lower slider as far as possible to the right side, which is Performance. This setting will probably reset to the previous default after restarting the operating system.

As for overheating, the 40 C reading is probably the flash memory and not the controller, which is usually much hotter. HWiNFO provides temperatures for both the flash memory and the controller, which is named Drive Temperature 2 by default. Open the program, then navigate to the sensors window, and leave that open. Start an antivirus scan, which is a realistic test of what load will normally be experienced. If the temperature 2 exceeds 60 C, then your SSD is heating up and throttling too easily. Also try running a sustained disk benchmark with CrystalDiskMark and be sure that it lasts several minutes. If temperature 2 exceeds 70 C, that means that your SSD has exceeded the maximum specified operating temperature.
  • steveonmars
    Options
    I downloaded HWiNFO64 and went to sensors and there is no reading for temperature 2. There is 5 different temperature readings for the CPU, one for the S.M.A.R.T. WDC PC... and one for the GPU.

The laptop has frozen on me 3 times today, once after I downloaded that program. I'm done. There's no reason to go through this ***** for a brand new computer. Ijust looked up when I bought this to return it so I can try a different brand but I can't return it now. I've had 2 HP's die and now an Acer I count on working long enough to get any work done. Now I'll have to spend money I can't afford to buy another brand. If anyone has a recommendation on a brand under $1000 that doesn't die please let me know.

Thanks everyone who tried to help me but I've had enough. I spent almost $1000 for this piece of ***** and I'm either waiting for it to restart or working on it more than I'm dong my own work.
  • steveonmars
    Options
    BTW, I did run a virus scan and the top temperature maxed out at 78.3 and the second one maxed out at 70.3. That was right when the scan started and then the temperatures dropped while the scan was running. The computer did not freeze.

I'm sorry for the attitude but when I spend this much on something I expect it to work. I also found this forum by asking a question on the Acer support page, so I thought I've been talking to support all this time. Now the window has closed for me to return this computer because support sent me here instead helping me when I first asked. If Acer can't build a computer that doesn't fail then they should at least own up to it and actually help someone who asks for their help.
  • Callistemon
    Options
    I downloaded HWiNFO64 and went to sensors and there is no reading for temperature 2. There is 5 different temperature readings for the CPU, one for the S.M.A.R.T. WDC PC... and one for the GPU.
    BTW, I did run a virus scan and the top temperature maxed out at 78.3 and the second one maxed out at 70.3. That was right when the scan started and then the temperatures dropped while the scan was running. The computer did not freeze.
    That's way too hot for either (controller or flash), and since there is no second reading, it is probably the flash memory. The controller is usually even hotter, likely somewhere between 80-100C if the flash memory is already that hot. If it did not freeze during the tests, it could be caused by corruption on the SSD from being shut down improperly. HDDs do not corrupt on power loss, at least not in the last 20 years.

The laptop has frozen on me 3 times today, once after I downloaded that program. I'm done. There's no reason to go through this ***** for a brand new computer. Ijust looked up when I bought this to return it so I can try a different brand but I can't return it now. I've had 2 HP's die and now an Acer I count on working long enough to get any work done. Now I'll have to spend money I can't afford to buy another brand. If anyone has a recommendation on a brand under $1000 that doesn't die please let me know.

Thanks everyone who tried to help me but I've had enough. I spent almost $1000 for this piece of ***** and I'm either waiting for it to restart or working on it more than I'm dong my own work.
    I'm sorry for the attitude but when I spend this much on something I expect it to work. I also found this forum by asking a question on the Acer support page, so I thought I've been talking to support all this time. Now the window has closed for me to return this computer because support sent me here instead helping me when I first asked. If Acer can't build a computer that doesn't fail then they should at least own up to it and actually help someone who asks for their help.
    It is completely justified to be extremely angry about how awful SSDs are. A brand-new expensive SSD can become partially corrupted just by being powered off improperly. Please be sure to buy a laptop with an HDD, or at least a slot to insert an HDD. Acer (or any other manufacturer) could build a computer that is more reliable, if they used HDDs instead of SSDs, which are overall superior and more reliable. Acer's customer service is horrible and the return policy (assuming it came from Acer Store) is a stingy 15 days. I thought WD was higher quality brand, but apparently not, as any truly high-quality company would refrain from selling any SSDs. 
  • steveonmars
    Options
    This is a computer that was built and sold by Acer. They either don't test their computers or they sell them anyway knowing they overheat. Since Acer support has still never answered me I either have to fix this myself and void any warranty or I need to buy a new computer. To be honest I can't afford either option right now so I guess I'm screwed. There's no excuse for being ignored by Acer support on an issue that I'm sure I'm not the only person this has happened to. I'm assuming if I have to fix this then I need to replace the hard drive, right? Is that even what's overheating? Do I need to replace the CPU? Is that what's overheating?
  • Callistemon
    Options
    This is a computer that was built and sold by Acer. They either don't test their computers or they sell them anyway knowing they overheat. Since Acer support has still never answered me I either have to fix this myself and void any warranty or I need to buy a new computer. To be honest I can't afford either option right now so I guess I'm screwed. There's no excuse for being ignored by Acer support on an issue that I'm sure I'm not the only person this has happened to. I'm assuming if I have to fix this then I need to replace the hard drive, right? Is that even what's overheating? Do I need to replace the CPU? Is that what's overheating?
    It shouldn't void the warranty to replace parts as long as you are in the US (where the regulation is) and don't damage something else during the process. There is no excuse. I have an overheating SSD that reaches 78 C and tanks from 2,000 to 750 to 400 MB/s. At that point, why not have an HDD that is more reliable if it won't even be much faster to use an SSD anyway?

It is the storage, the SSD, which takes place of a regular hard drive (HDD). The CPU should be fine. Even if you try replacing the SSD, just about any SSD stick will overheat like that. Some of them might not be quite as bad though. Unfortunately, this laptop model does not contain an HDD slot, so it is not possible to install the truly good type of storage.

No moving parts to fail is a myth. I come across far more SSD failures on the internet than HDD failures. Most of those are because corruption on power loss or overheating. HDDs have had power loss protection for over 20 years, as described in US Patent 6,025,968, by using the spindle momentum to swing the actuator arm off the precious platter when the power is lost. Unlike HDDs, SSDs erase and rewrite entire blocks whenever anything is changed, and if the power is interrupted during the writing operation, those blocks or even the entire SSD will become corrupt. This type of corruption could be the actual cause of the freezing, even though the SSD is also overheating.
  • Callistemon
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Here's what good storage looks like!

It spins!
  • steveonmars
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I really so appreciate the help. I have fixed my own computers before but it's from getting advice on the internet like this. Back when they were a lot simpler I built my own desktops and had no problem swapping hard drives or adding PCI cards, even swapping motherboards but I just haven't kept up with the technology and I just don't know what to do to fix this one.

You say I can't replace the SSD with an HDD because there's no slot for an HDD? Do you mean there's just no room in the case to even add an HDD even removing the SSD or is it there isn't the right connection for an HDD? If the SSD is overheating how do I stop that? If I know what to do I can do it but this sounds like it can't even be done in this case. I do have laptop cooler under the laptop but that obviously isn't cooling it enough so what do I do? I really can't afford a new computer after what I paid for this one and since I can't return this one I don't have any choice but to fix it. This started happening within a few months of me buying it so it's obviously an issue with this computer setup. Please tell me what I need to do to fix this.
  • Callistemon
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I really so appreciate the help. I have fixed my own computers before but it's from getting advice on the internet like this. Back when they were a lot simpler I built my own desktops and had no problem swapping hard drives or adding PCI cards, even swapping motherboards but I just haven't kept up with the technology and I just don't know what to do to fix this one.

You say I can't replace the SSD with an HDD because there's no slot for an HDD? Do you mean there's just no room in the case to even add an HDD even removing the SSD or is it there isn't the right connection for an HDD? If the SSD is overheating how do I stop that? If I know what to do I can do it but this sounds like it can't even be done in this case. I do have laptop cooler under the laptop but that obviously isn't cooling it enough so what do I do? I really can't afford a new computer after what I paid for this one and since I can't return this one I don't have any choice but to fix it. This started happening within a few months of me buying it so it's obviously an issue with this computer setup. Please tell me what I need to do to fix this.
    The SSD cannot be replaced with an HDD because the HDD is a thin box with pristine platters inside, whereas the SSD is a green stick that is mostly circuit board. It can only be replaced with another SSD, which will likely have the same issues. I was actually considering buying the SN550 to replace my overheating HFM512, but not after this. Does any good M.2 SSD really exist? 
  • Callistemon
    Options

The narrow box on the right is the SSD stick. The larger box on the left is the approximate size of an HDD and where it is usually located. So it cannot be replaced with an HDD, only another SSD. Unfortunately, it is also really far away (just about as far as possible) from the fan.

In my A715-42G, I might try to redirect some of the air from the intake over by the SSD, which is close, and then into the fan. However, with the SF314-42, there is only one fan, so there is no other fan to leave unobstructed, and the SSD is very far away.
  • steveonmars
    Options
    So you're saying there's really no way to keep it cool the way my case is laid out? What about a stronger fan under the laptop? I can build something for it to sit on with a big fan in it if you think that would help. Would a different SSD run cooler than the one I have, do they make ones that are designed to run cooler?

If I can't replace this SSD then what are the long term affects of running this one knowing it's running hot and freezing up? Is it just a matter of time before it fails completely? I do have an external drive that I back up the SSD onto once a week, is there something else I should do to be able to install everything on this SSD on a new one when this one does fail? I use EaseUS Todo Backup to back up the SSD, is that all I need?
  • Callistemon
    Options
    If your CPU stays cool, then covering most of the intake slits on the underside except those closer to the SSD will increase the airflow by the SSD. That sounds counterintuitive, but it is only so for the CPU. There are no programs for laptops that will monitor SSD temperature and increase fan speeds automatically, and the CPU will be left hotter afterwards, so you can just use a program like NoteBook FanControl to leave the fans turned up all the time. Since the blades are made from thin metal, it should be quiet anyway and have little effect on battery life.
  • Callistemon
    edited August 2021
    Options
    So you're saying there's really no way to keep it cool the way my case is laid out? What about a stronger fan under the laptop? I can build something for it to sit on with a big fan in it if you think that would help. Would a different SSD run cooler than the one I have, do they make ones that are designed to run cooler?

If I can't replace this SSD then what are the long term affects of running this one knowing it's running hot and freezing up? Is it just a matter of time before it fails completely? I do have an external drive that I back up the SSD onto once a week, is there something else I should do to be able to install everything on this SSD on a new one when this one does fail? I use EaseUS Todo Backup to back up the SSD, is that all I need?
    A fan under the laptop might work as well, but only if it is always parked there whenever the SSD is in more than light usage. There are some SSDs with heatsinks, but they are intended for desktops and might be too thick to fit. SSDs that overheat are susceptible to failure and corruption sooner than HDDs. Even if the excessive heat does not affect it (there are some SSDs that handle 85 C well), if it freezes up and you need to shut it down improperly, that will cause it to corrupt if it is being written to at that time.

https://photographylife.com/m-2-nvme-drive-overheating-failure

"If you decide to use any SSD drives in your computer build (and you should, since they are extremely fast), no matter what form factor, you should plan for a very thorough and working backup solution."
  • steveonmars
    Options
    I'll try that and I'll also build something with a bigger fan in it for it to sit on. The laptop never moves from where it sits on the bench I do my shipping on so I don't have to worry about moving some big fan around, it'll stay right where it is.

What about the life of this SSD? Is it bound to fail if it keeps overheating? Will the backup from EaseUS be all I need if I do have to replace it?
  • Callistemon
    Options
    I'll try that and I'll also build something with a bigger fan in it for it to sit on. The laptop never moves from where it sits on the bench I do my shipping on so I don't have to worry about moving some big fan around, it'll stay right where it is.

What about the life of this SSD? Is it bound to fail if it keeps overheating? Will the backup from EaseUS be all I need if I do have to replace it?
    Probably. The SN550 is only rated for 70 C, so reliability is expected to be poor when the temperature is above that threshold for more than an insignificant amount of time. It depends on how important the files on the SSD are.
  • steveonmars
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. I'm quitting for the night so tomorrow I'll start working on something to keep the laptop cooler and I'll post an update when I get it working and let you know if it worked.
  • Callistemon
    Options
    Right-click the battery icon, select "Power Options" and then "Change plan settings". Open "Change advanced power settings", navigate to "PCI Express" and expand it. Expand "Link State Power Management" and turn it off.

Download and install the Western Digital SSD Dashboard and run an extended test. This could take several hours and leave your SSD hot for the entire duration, so it should only be performed once the SSD has sufficient cooling to prevent it from exceeding 70 C.

https://wddashboarddownloads.wdc.com/wdDashboard/DashboardSetup.exe

Open Command Prompt as administrator and enter "sfc /scannow" and then press Enter. After that is completed, type "chkdsk /scan C:" and then press Enter again.

If your SSD passes the hardware test in WD Dashboard but has filesystem issues in the System File Checker scan or Check Disk, then the SSD probably does not need to be replaced (ignoring overheating), but should still be reformatted and then installed a fresh copy of Windows. If it does fail the Dashboard test, then it should be replaced under warranty.
  • wellsjs77
    wellsjs77 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2023
    Options

I have had this problem for a long time. It is related to the AMD Ryzen graphics processor. It happens to me when I access a website (like NewsMax.com) that has embedded videos that start playing automatically. I don't like that so I had my “Cookies and Site Permissions - Media Autoplay" set to “Block” in Microsoft Edge. After many hours and attempts to fix the “freezing” by various methods, including all the recommendations in this thread, I changed that setting to “Limited” and have not had any “freezes” in quite some time. I do have to live with embedded videos autoplaying. Just discoved my wife's laptop (same as mine) is freezing and her Edge setting is “Limitied,” so there is a problem with the Ryzen graphics driver compatibility to Windows 11. You can check after you recover from the freeze (force power off and reboot) check your event log. You will see a video driver error.